For Sale 86 Cabo Cuddycon 216

Tailout

Sep 7, 2015
Sonoma County
Name
MD Kelly
Boat
Fish-Rite
So if you buy a almost two decade old outboard with low hrs. On the stern of a almost four decade old boat with design flaws. You should pay twice as much????? It's like buying a truck without reverse. I've read some posts where guys that have these Cobo hulls say they have to learn all over again how to track in following seas.

MikaScott

Jun 26, 2020
Oregon City
Name
Mika Scott
Boat
Cabo Cuddycon 216
UPDATE: Boat is going to Marine dealership this week to have motor serviced & verified!! See detailed video in edited post, sorry about the music, I thought it was going to be cute, but it sort of drowned out my voice.

Reactions: One_Leg

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Got to realize there is a deceased love one attached to this bad riding, poorly maintained, 18 year old motored skiff. (emotional value) It's fresh in my mind since I had to sell all my folks stuff who both passed away last year.

It was like a fire sale. cars, RV. Waverunner, furniture and all the smalls. Pennies on the dollar. The only sale that made me happy was seeing someone appreciative for getting a score on something they would really enjoy.

What the dude who had loved that boat would happiest about seeing someone buy it that would carry on having memories with his family or some buddies who are hard core fisherman.

I'm looking at about 15-17 K after service for that Cabo. Bought my arima last year before the guy passed away. Oregon too. I send pictures of all the upgrades to the boat and fish pictures. He loves it!

Liked the video. You missed your calling.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikaScott

MikaScott

Jun 26, 2020
Oregon City
Name
Mika Scott
Boat
Cabo Cuddycon 216
UPDATE: We are taking the boat to a marine dealer to have the motor serviced and verified by a professional this week! Stand by for updates...

@Trayscool - sorry for your tragic adventure & the bad decisions that led to it - glad everyone is OK & your boat was covered - I trust the fisherman who purchase the Cabo will be skilled enough to handle it.

To the other Cabo haters @Hustler, looks like there may have been some operator error there, just sayin' let's not blame everything on the boat... regardless... hope it was insured & thanks for the entertaining photos!!

Nikki J

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 12, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Todd
Boat
26,Blackman OB,Nikki J
I owned a 216 CCC in the 90s. I loved the boat but it does have issues that can be managed. The floor scuppers drain into the self bailing splash well. There are drain plugs for these scupper drains in the splash well that, if not installed or if the drain fittings don’t have one-way flapper valves, water will slowly come in from the splash well when not underway, through the deck scuppers and slowly flood the bildge if the bildge pump isn’t running or inop (Ask me how I know). It can be very insidious and catch you by surprise.
Mika is smart not to let someone who she doesn‘t know, come and start a motor that hasn’t run in years. Sounds like she’s addressing that issue by taking it to a mechanic. Once the professional gets it started then you can hear it run. Lighten up!

Errin

Snorkeler
Jun 22, 2015
Santa Barbara
Name
Errin
Boat
Cabo 216
I bought a 1988 216 in January that had the original Yamaha 175 2-stroke on it with 370 original hours. Everything on the boat was original. No telling how old the gas was. After priming the bulb, it fired right up, not a single issue. Ran it on the delta for 20 minutes and then drove it home.

After going through the motor I've put almost 100 hours on this thing in the last couple months and still not a single issue. The 216 is fast, stable, rides well in following seas and paired with that motor it's gonna do 30 knots at cruise and get over 2 mpg.

All you haters are being ridiculous. Anyone who sank one of these boats really effed up you can talk about design flaws with any boat. These boats ride insane and with a 225 it is going to fly! He should be asking $5k more than this....

SovietBear

Well-Known "Member"
May 6, 2014
Name
Anon
Boat
Do your research on this hull. It has a bad rap for a reason.

Reactions: repo805

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I have owned more boats than I am willing to admit. The boats I have owned ranged from entry level “Bay Runner” to commercial grade “Davis” builds. At my age due to diligent financial planning I can pretty much buy any boat I want.

What I can honestly say is that the hand layed glass hull of my 216 is one of the best I have ever owned. I can’t say it’s better than my Davis, but I also can’t say it worse either. The original electrical wiring was shit, but so was my Wellcraft and all has since been replaced.

As far as a fishing platform, this boat is like a Swiss Army knife with more storage and locker space than any boat I owned in it’s size. As far as the design, this is where I needed to utilize the advice of current and previous owners to make modifications to make it a safer boat that I feel confident in taking it offshore. (Moving the batteries forward, installing a transom splash gard and modifying the fish hold and deck scupper plumbing was a must.

All boats are dangerous in the wrong hands. When lives or property is lost, some “Not All” feel they had no control over the situation whatsoever, but in fact most accidents can be avoided.

I personally know of one drowning event and 2 vessel sinking involving Cabo 216’s since their introduction in 1985. The original owners manufactured almost 100 of these hulls and the majority are still in use today. How can that be if all the naysayers indicate every 216 sinks?

I am not trying to sell a boat nor is my 216 up for sale. I am fishing this thing like hell, running 70 miles offshore with confidence and loving the ride this hull provides which is in fact equal to my Davis.

Do your research, verify how many 216’s have actually sank or how many lives have been lost, but also do the same for the “Unsinkable Legend, Boston Whaler”. Once you compare the 2, you truly won’t buy a BW based on statistical data.

I am a fan of BW and probably owned 6 of them off the top of my head, but the numbers speak for themselves.

oceanski

Oct 6, 2015
Valley Center
Name
Taylor O
Boat
2003 Davis Bahia
I have owned more boats than I am willing to admit. The boats I have owned ranged from entry level “Bay Runner” to commercial grade “Davis” builds. At my age due to diligent financial planning I can pretty much buy any boat I want.

What I can honestly say is that the hand layed glass hull of my 216 is one of the best I have ever owned. I can’t say it’s better than my Davis, but I also can’t say it worse either. The original electrical wiring was shit, but so was my Wellcraft and all has since been replaced.

As far as a fishing platform, this boat is like a Swiss Army knife with more storage and locker space than any boat I owned in it’s size. As far as the design, this is where I needed to utilize the advice of current and previous owners to make modifications to make it a safer boat that I feel confident in taking it offshore. (Moving the batteries forward, installing a transom splash gard and modifying the fish hold and deck scupper plumbing was a must.

All boats are dangerous in the wrong hands. When lives or property is lost, some “Not All” feel they had no control over the situation whatsoever, but in fact most accidents can be avoided.

I personally know of one drowning event and 2 vessel sinking involving Cabo 216’s since their introduction in 1985. The original owners manufactured almost 100 of these hulls and the majority are still in use today. How can that be if all the naysayers indicate every 216 sinks?

I am not trying to sell a boat nor is my 216 up for sale. I am fishing this thing like hell, running 70 miles offshore with confidence and loving the ride this hull provides which is in fact equal to my Davis.

Do your research, verify how many 216’s have actually sank or how many lives have been lost, but also do the same for the “Unsinkable Legend, Boston Whaler”. Once you compare the 2, you truly won’t buy a BW based on statistical data.

I am a fan of BW and probably owned 6 of them off the top of my head, but the numbers speak for themselves.
I loved my 216 and the new owner happens to live 5 minutes away from me. With the upgrades you mentioned, these are extremely solid boats. However, your Davis was one of the nicest boats I’ve ever seen 😎 the Cabo 206/216/222/226/256/266 are amazing boats and are here to stay... as long as they weren’t made by Marlin! Not sure how the 256 with twins is still available in Nor Cal. Wow that’s a deal. If I didn’t own my Bahia...

rustman

Aug 4, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Name
Rusty
Boat
1986 Cabo 216 Cuddy-Con
I loved my 216 and the new owner happens to live 5 minutes away from me. With the upgrades you mentioned, these are extremely solid boats. However, your Davis was one of the nicest boats I’ve ever seen 😎 the Cabo 206/216/222/226/256/266 are amazing boats and are here to stay... as long as they weren’t made by Marlin! Not sure how the 256 with twins is still available in Nor Cal. Wow that’s a deal. If I didn’t own my Bahia...
A couple of pics of the old girl. This was one boat I truly regret selling as it was completely dialed in with a range of almost 500 miles and built like a brick shit-house. My boys just quit fishing with me when they learned girls were on the planet, LOL.

Davis 1.jpg

Davis 2.jpg

Davis 3.jpg

Davis 4.jpg

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
A couple of pics of the old girl. This was one boat I truly regret selling as it was completely dialed in with a range of almost 500 miles and built like a brick shit-house. My boys just quit fishing with me when they learned girls were on the planet, LOL.
Yup, I kind of miss mine too...

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None

View attachment 1164309

View attachment 1164310

View attachment 1164311

View attachment 1164312
When you showed that pic, I thought it was Hustler's old boat. He had one just like it way back then. I remember drooling over it. People just have too much money. LOL.

theredman

Mar 22, 2007
Pismo Beach
Name
Steve merino
Boat
2016 Ranger Bay 2510
I had A 226 twin Yammies on A bracket. Full stern (no cutout for engines). Meaning it never took in water from the stern. Battery’s were in the center under helm seat. Just trim up in following seas. I thought it was great boat. Loved it.

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
What size Yamies were on the back. Was that a stock set up ? Why did you sell.
Did you move the batteries and if so did you notice an immediate improvement..
Sorry to jack the tread.

jdperk57

Well-Known "Member"
May 31, 2015
Name
jim
Boat
jesse bulloit
Let me know when it’s available to look at

Split Decision

Split Decision
Mar 30, 2005
Downey, CA
Name
Jim Hendricks
Boat
Cabo 216
Just for balance, I will let everyone know that I am an original owner of a 1986 Cabo 216 CuddyCon, and it is still running strong, doing trips every week or two to Catalina and beyond. In the story above, the boat that sank was not an original Cabo, as I recall. (Marlin bought the molds and built a substandard machine in my opinion.) Full disclosure, some Cabo have sunk, and I know of one that burned, but you can say the same of just about any other boat brand. The fact that mine is still fishing and running strong after 34 years is strong testament to the design and construction of the original Cabo models -- the ones built by John Winterling. The one being shown here is, indeed, one such original Cabo. It will take some work to get it up to snuff, but at the right price, I would buy it.

Last edited: