acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Alright after the madness that was the holidays, bunch of upgrades to my sand car, and painting my house, it's back to work and time to boogie on this thing if I'm going to have it done in time for the season.

First up was to fill all these old rigging holes. I'm focusing on the exterior of the boat, the transom, and the splash well first. I need to get the transom painted so I can hang the motor and not have it sitting on the pallet in the driveway any longer. I used west systems epoxy and micro balloons to fill in all of these old holes. There was a lot of them.

IMG_5818.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

Once those were all setup I came back and sanded everything down

IMG_6185 2.jpg

IMG_6186.jpg

Instead of going with brass tubes again I decided to do glass drain tubes. I started with a piece of PVC an 1/8" smaller than the drain holes. Wrapped it in wax paper, then 3 layers of 1708 wrapped in opposite directions with epoxy in between each.

IMG_5816.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

Once that setup I covered it in fairing compound to get it to the exact diameter of the drain holes.

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_6189.jpg

Cut them to size and they are a perfect fit. Ill seal them in place with some epoxy mixed with a tad of west systems 410, and some chop strand matte. Once the plugs are in place the transom and splash well as well as the exterior of the boat will get a final fairing and it'll be ready for Interlux primer.

IMG_6190.jpg

Also decided to go ahead and pull the bow railing off. Going to custom weld one up and paint it black to see how I like it.

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_5822.jpg

Reactions: dalurker and marlyn
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Close, for the thru holes, I started with PVC pipe. Then I wrapped it with PE until its the same OD as the brass tubing ID. Cover it with shipping tape. Then just wrap it with a few layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy it. Take your hack saw and cut it to lenght. you can't make the glass thick or it will not fit in the original opening. To install it. make some thicken epoxy (like peanut butter). you might have to drill the hole a bit larger. Make sure you let the hull dry prior to installing it. Put in the peanut butter. slide it into place. swab out the ID of the new fitting and use shipping tape to keep in place and for mold release. FYI I use shipping tape to cover the holes when I patch them as well. It makes for a much cleaner repair.

Reactions: uglyducky
Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Close, for the thru holes, I started with PVC pipe. Then I wrapped it with PE until its the same OD as the brass tubing ID. Cover it with shipping tape. Then just wrap it with a few layers of fiberglass cloth and epoxy it. Take your hack saw and cut it to lenght. you can't make the glass thick or it will not fit in the original opening. To install it. make some thicken epoxy (like peanut butter). you might have to drill the hole a bit larger. Make sure you let the hull dry prior to installing it. Put in the peanut butter. slide it into place. swab out the ID of the new fitting and use shipping tape to keep in place and for mold release. FYI I use shipping tape to cover the holes when I patch them as well. It makes for a much cleaner repair.

Pretty much exactly what I did. I’ll try the shipping tape method too

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
sweet all the effort to make a sano sled.

I would sell my montauk for an outrage

Reactions: acefuture
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Like he said, but you want it thicker. Pick it up in HD, or use vacuum seal bags if you like. Its a very common material used in bags. Its the same stuff you use the mask off your house when painting.

Small tube.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Get on it man! When i was going to get her done "in time for the season", I missed by about a season. Time flys. My next project is to update my trolly to a 72Lb 24vdc Riptide. After that one, build a Tee top for her "for the next season". FYI If I were you i would push the consul forward a bit an raise it a bit. I have done one of those two and should have done both. their is lots of space up front, and not so much in the stern.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I see life is rough!
If I had welding skills and gear back when I did mine, I may have just patched her! Where do you get your materials? More important do you have a tubing bender? Something that can handle 2" AL?

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I see life is rough!
If I had welding skills and gear back when I did mine, I may have just patched her! Where do you get your materials? More important do you have a tubing bender? Something that can handle 2" AL?
I’ll see what condition mine is in when I pull it. Patching might be the call. I get all my metal from IMS in Irvine. I have a roller that can do 2” but don’t have a bender with a die for 2” currently. That’s my next order though. Going to get a JD2 with a 2” die soon

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Alright it's Monday. BACK TO WORK! Got cracking back into the boat today. Instead of finishing fairing the transom I decided to yank the fuel tank. Got the deck up and it's in sad shape. Going to need to re-core it unfortunately, but glad it's being done. Tank does not look happy either. Foam is waterlogged and I'm now smelling fuel. So out this bad boy will come and i'll take a look at the extent of the damage. Now to figure out how to drain 63 gallons of fuel, this thing is full....

IMG_6363.jpg

IMG_6364.jpg

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Well, welcome to the club brother. Been there and done that! Go to HF and get their 55 gal hand pump. Remove the tank gauge to drop the pump in. I pumped it all out into some 5 gal cans, and a 40 gal portable tank. Then i polished it thur a water separator. It was about 30 percent water. You need a glass jar to determine if its water fuel or both. Add a bit of fuel to the jar and some of what you pumped out. Remember the water is heavier and will be on the bottom of the tank. Don't burn down the place with all of the fumes! Don't you just love Whalers! You can start by sealing the the two steering hydo lines before they get fubared.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
What I did was to connect where the fuel comes out of tank . I ran a primer bulb Into a inline filter then into a racer fuel/ water separator. Behind that is a electric fuel pump out to gas cans that I slowly filled my cars. It worked great.
387510DA-60F2-4BCA-B72A-6C0EA15A5C6A.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
FYI when the fuel separator fills with water it will pass right through it. On that one you have, you can see the water as it accumulates on the bottom of the filter if you are watching. I drained the fuel from the tank into smaller fuel tanks using the hand pump. Then I used an electric pump it through the water separator to polish it. I would pump it between two tanks, drain the filter into a glass jar and add a little fresh gas. That's the only way to tell if it's all gas or all water! Sometime it would be all water! It smells like gas. It's a slow process and the fuel that you get is saturated with water so be careful what you put it in. I started with mower. That first batch did not burn so well. As I got It sorted out I fed it to my Toyota about 5 gas per fill up. put a some through my boat (4 stroke).

Upvote 0