acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
A few guys have asked about my progress on this whaler, and although I'm not very far along I thought i'd throw up some photos of the progress. Maybe it'll put my ass in gear to finish it. My plan initially was to take my time on this boat and make it a show stopper while fishing my Bayrunner Baja. But I found another potential project I really wanted to do, so I sold the Bayrunner to a fellow BD'er to make room for the next boat, and of course, the sale of the new project fell through. So now all my focus is on this sled. Instead of making it an over the top build, I switched up my focus and now just want a solid ocean worthy Whaler as my personal fishing boat. So it won't be as custom as I initially had planned, and more so just a basic rehab to an old whaler that wants some attention.

Attention is definitely what it needed. It's been out of the water for 5+ years now and has collected quite a bit of leaves, dirt, and debris. So a deep clean was first up.

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5379 2.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

IMG_5434.JPG

Plan was to just get it down to hull and do some inspections to see what level of work was needed to be done. So off come the console, seating, motor was sold, etc.

IMG_5728 2.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

IMG_5454 2.jpg

Unfortunately the previous owner dropped the motor on the boat when trying to re rig it before he decided to sell, so there's a couple chips in the transom that need to be fixed. But the good news is the transom is rock solid, no soft or dead spots.

IMG_5455 2.jpg

Once I got the console off I pulled inspection plates to see what the condition of the fuel tank was in. It actually looked surprisingly good and I only found one small corrosion spot that hasn't made it through the tank. I did a pressure test on the tank and it's tight as can be. So i'll coat the areas that need it, put all new hoses and clamps on it, and run it. Also, does anyone know what the wire in the bottom of this picture is? It looks to be some kind of ground wire, but I can't find where it goes. To me, nothing should ever be ground to an aluminum tank, but figured it might be a sort of diversion like a sacrificial ground or similar.

IMG_5688.jpg

Before pulling off all of the mahogany and teak, I tried a few varnish brands and techniques on the gunwales to see what I like best. Now that it's down to hull I'll start sanding the entire hull to fix some crazing, do some light glass work, and prep for bottom paint. Lots and lots of sanding to be done next. Started by pulling off all the old decals. The exterior will get a full sand and gelcoat buff as well.

IMG_5599.jpg

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
You could try to pressure test that fuel tank, or just pull the trigger and replace it now.
You need to pull the deck and replace the hoses anyway. Break out the impact driver you have about a hundred screws to deal with.
Your boat started out in better shape than mine! You are making progress.

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Ground wire... Mine is grounded to the alum. tank...

Tank Grd.jpg

Tank Grd (2).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Top Photo: My new tank for 20' Skipjack project Im doing. (note Grd. tab)

Bottom Photo: My CC ground needs new sending unit. (grd wire @ top of photo)

Im just waiting for fishing to end before I pull it apart and clean it all up. It had a (float) fuel gauge in top of sending unit i liked being able to read it at the helm and the tank. The 2 wires in the foreground are the pos. & neg. for the float sending unit. Right now neither work so I fill tank before every trip.

Hope that helps...Paul

Last edited:
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
If you search for Whaler Rehab you will find my project from a few years back. Same rig just a few years older and rougher shape she was. I found holes in the top of the tank under the front breather connection. There were a number of other spots that would have failed as well in short order. All the hoses were hard as a rock.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
You could try to pressure test that fuel tank, or just pull the trigger and replace it now.
You need to pull the deck and replace the hoses anyway. Break out the impact driver you have about a hundred screws to deal with.
Your boat started out in better shape than mine! You are making progress.

Initially that was my plan, but since the tank looks like its in really good shape and passed the pressure test, I don't really feel the need to spend the money. I've read your rehab thread quite a few times. Came out really good. Where'd you get your tank and what did it run you? PM me if you'd like

Top Photo: My new tank for 20' Skipjack project Im doing. (note Grd. tab)

Bottom Photo: My CC ground needs new sending unit. (grd wire @ top of photo)

Im just waiting for fishing to end before I pull it apart and clean it all up. It had a (float) fuel gauge in top of sending unit i liked being able to read it at the helm and the tank. The 2 wires in the foreground are the pos. & neg. for the float sending unit. Right now neither work so I fill tank before every trip.

Hope that helps...Paul

Yea I figured out it's a ground, but still can't figure out where it's going. I know the puck on the transom is a ground, but the wiring is a dead end.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Does anyone know what paint or gel coat on the market most closely resembles these outrages? I have quite a few old rigging holes I’ll be glassing over on the transom and would rather just paint the transom when I’m done vs. repainting the entire hull. I’ve seen the spectrum stuff but heard it’s not quite a match.

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
See the tag on the tank pic above. It was about $700 a few years ago. I would pull the floor and clean up the tank and check for pitting. U need to redo the hoses anyway.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Making some headway. Got the transom all sanded down, few sections to glass to do some repairs to old rigging holes. What do you guys suggest on holes smaller than 1/2"? West systems with micro ballons, or just some kitty hair? I have kitty hair in the garage, so thinking about just using that, and then a final coat of fairing compound.

I decided I'm just going to go ahead and paint the whole boat. Ordered the paint this morning, so will finish the sanding, glassing, and fairing over the next week or so and hopefully be ready for primer next weekend.

IMG_5739 2.jpg

Brass plugs were just about non existent. Going to make some fiberglass plugs to replace and epoxy them in place.

IMG_5734.jpg

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Remove the caulk prior to painting it.
I used epoxy mixed with ground glass for the small repairs, holes and to install the thru holes. How dry are the thru holes? Too bad it not in the 90's to help dry things out! Is there a drain the anchor locker? I added one to my rig

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Remove the caulk prior to painting it.
I used epoxy mixed with ground glass for the small repairs, holes and to install the thru holes. How dry are the thru holes? Too bad it not in the 90's to help dry things out! Is there a drain the anchor locker? I added one to my rig
Oh yea this thing will be completely cleaned before paint.
Thru holes are completely dry. This boat hasn't seen water in years and years and the brass plugs held up enough to protect from rain.
And yes, there's on in the bow locker as well as the aft drain area where the rigging comes out of the tunnel. I'll replace the drains in those as well.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Looking good. Did you buy desert tan gel coat or are you going AwlGrip paint?
Initially I was going to go with desert tan spectrum, but after reading reviews I decided to go a different route. I ordered Interlux perfection. I was originally going to do the interior Oyster white, and then the hull sides and transom platinum, but everyone is out of stock. So looks like i'm just going to do the whole hull in oyster white. Then re bottom paint black

Reactions: Unassailable
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I went over the bottom paint on my boat with a black bottom paint. It looked great the first year. Now it looks like I need to redo it and it has not spent all that much time on the water. you can wipe that paint off with your hand! Are you going to pull the rails off?
I had to redo all of the front rail mounting. I also remounted Bill's front railing. He has an 85 like yours.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
I went over the bottom paint on my boat with a black bottom paint. It looked great the first year. Now it looks like I need to redo it and it has not spent all that much time on the water. you can wipe that paint off with your hand! Are you going to pull the rails off?
I had to redo all of the front rail mounting. I also remounted Bill's front railing. He has an 85 like yours.
What brand did you use? I need to do some research on which one i'm going to use.
Yea I'm going to pull the railing off. I was thinking of custom welding a new front bow rail out of 1.5" aluminum and powder coating it black. But that might be for another time. The current railing is in there very solid, and i'm a little worried that pulling it out for paint might open the holes a bit too much and make it less sturdy when put back on. What did you do to remount it?

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Mine and Bill were basically falling off the boats. I pulled them and mixed the epoxy/glass and filled all of the holes. On my boat I used some kitty hair to patch over and level some of the locations (it was my goto filler for cosmetic work this round) . After I painted it I re-drilled the holes. For Bill's rig , I did not paint, I just re-drilled it after the fill. I have never seen white railing on a whaler it might be nice. The paint is self ablative from total boat. It runs about $100 gal. FYI a buddy gave me a gallon two part polyurethane (sherwin williams) and that's what I used to paint the boat except for the bottom. I also used a couple quarts of epoxy primer. It's going to run you about $500 in materials to paint. You could paint the bottom with a quart of paint, but you have to buy a gal.

Reactions: acefuture
Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
You need a cherry picker, but where are going to put them when they are out? How many hours on them and what did they cost? Now I know where to go for parts! Too bad about two months too late

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
You need a cherry picker, but where are going to put them when they are out? How many hours on them and what did they cost? Now I know where to go for parts! Too bad about two months too late

I have 2 cherry pickers, I’ll use one on each side of the pallet to drop it to the driveway, then stand it up to put it on the boat. It’ll be tricky but taking my time will help. They both have 1k hours on, but are in really clean shape interior wise. Not sure what happened to the starboard motor but the oil pump literally blew up and sent metal shards through it. I’ll pull it apart to see what’s salvageable. But at the least the lower unit, trim, cowl, side cowls, harness, etc. are all still useable

Upvote 0