karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Well it looks like its going to happen this Sat.
Saturday
Variable winds 5 kt or less. Sunny. Mixed swell...W 1 to 2 ft and S 1 ft. Wind waves 1 ft or less.
I did a compression test and installed new plugs on Tue. The compression was 182, 179, 190, 180. Not great but OK. The battery was low and the engine was tuning really slow. We should be ready to rock! See if she floats. She how well she runs. KILL something and drag it home!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Dana Point Shakedown!
After all these month and sketchy weather on the weekends.
I finally made it happen, I got her wet!
The good news, she floats OK. That bait system worked, as in zero dead in the tank! The steering worked OK, All of the instruments and the radio! No trailer issues except that I need to wire the marker lights and guild rails would be nice. The bulge pumps and wiring work, The motor fires on 1/2 a turn every time. She seems to have lost the random miss at idle. She does about 20 kts at 4K. She will run over 28kts at 5k. Her min troll speed is about 2.3knts, great for strip bass and maybe trout, but too fast for bounce balling. The fish finder was working OK at 20 kts, not too much noise. The charging system works. Being that this is life, its not all good news. The batteries did not hold up as well as expected. One is new! I expected it to hold up all day running the bait tank, radio and fish finder, but noooo. The clamp-on rod holders were not tight enough and needed to be relocated. The seats are too close together, and the helm seat is too close to the console. I need to add a pad to the cooler seat. The dam bait tank drain cap leaked all dam day! As it turned out, it was a 3/4" NPT not a water hose tread like the cap I installed on it. My bad. And even worse, we did not get our butt today. We got 9 sharks one was a 25lb Leo one scuppy and one nice grumpy. I need more rod holders! The main issue is the throttle is too lose, and you can't fully open it because it crashes into the radio! Close, she is a pretty sweet ride! I wanted a small boat that could run off shore and get 4mpg. We are getting there.

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
What I should have done, it raised the console a few inches and pushed it forward a few. There is lots of space in front but not so much in the rear. Its short and small. The one that I built for he 17ft boat is tall and wide (a bit too wide for a 17ft Whaler). I really missed it today, it was cold out there.

Reactions: HighRootz

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Karl, I'm jazzed for you man. It had to be great to smell the salt again. As you know the boat always needs something. My old Outrage is in the shop for the final tune up, so I may get out with the new owner soon.

I think I'm going to like having something blocking the wind. I use to put chemical handwarmers in my pockets to help stay warm.

I have a call out to a guy selling an outboard........

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Yea, I'm refinishing the side door on the console this week.
Soon will cleaning up the 17ft (Wet Ride) going to put her on the chopping block. I have done the oil on her top and bottom, The only question is how much time do I want to put into her before letting her go. It looks like I should be getting much better performance. The motor is mounted too low. it should be one or two holes up, and it might be under pitched as well. It should be a 17 to 19 " pitch prop.

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Well Now it is Christmas. I picked up a SS Laser II 19" pitch prop prop on CL for $125. I had to pickup a hub kit online for $35. Today I installed a battery charging cable, and another rod holder. I tighten up the hardware on the console, and installed a horn. In the AM, I will to install a switch for it, now that I found one. I also need to wire up the three bank charger. My console is too small to mount it onboard.

20181224_115021.jpg 20181225_122003.jpg

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Merry Xmas. We were supposed to go out in my old boat.....

My bud that bought my Outrage got it out of the shop, went tearing across SFBay and the lower unit seized. No oil. In the spring I had put a new water pump kit, new oil and even new drain plugs and gaskets. Why was there no oil?

Too bad because he said it was running great.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
That is going to hurt! I serviced the lower end on mine a few weeks back. I had to redo all the seals. It took a few weeks with breakage and ordering parts. When I put it together, I missed the alignment on the water pump drive and had to rework it. Did you do the work, or hired out?

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
More fun today. I found myself losing sleep concerned about the state of the tire. Today, I replaced the tires and one of the bearings did not sound right when you spend the hub. If they make a sound it's not good. The hubs and the trailer are a bit none std. It came with 13" wheels for some reason. Full size 14" trailer wheels did not fit. It has 205-70 R14s on it. I picked them up on CL awhile back because they came with galvanized wheels. There was some had been some rust on the rear bearing. It was about $200 to do the wheels bearing and seal. Tonight I should sleep better no visions of blowouts at 60 on the freeway!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
U have to love this crap. Made a 2nd run out of Dana for nada. When I got home before I could put the boat away, one of my new and improved tries went all snakey on me. I tried to pump it back up with a can of air, but no love. It turned out to be separating! It was snotty out there, we took a few shot over the transom. I ran the pumps at least 6 times. The bait tank drain seemed to be fixed, but something was still leaking. My dam rod holders are still moving. It was a bit too rough out there to put the boot to her on this trip. I'm sure now I can locate the bait tank at the far rear of the boat. It needs to be moved as close to the helm as possible. She is too butt heavy!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Went out of Davies today. I can only get about 28Knts at 4800 RPM. This is likely because you can't get to full throttle because it hits the radio. On the way in the harbor I had an alarm go off after crawling in at 5 knts.I think it might be the over heat alarm. Strange, I cycled the power and it went away. I checked the ta tel tell and it was cold. I may have picked up some trash I guess. That ta-tel-tell comes from the heat exchanger on VST, I will have to pull the side panel off the motor and chase the lines with weed whacker line

20190126_074651_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
No more seats next time, I found a sweet leaning post on CL. It's my current project. I can side the bait tank about 40% under the seat. It could go deeper, but you might want to be able to put bait in that sucker as well!

20181224_134717.jpg 20190205_172455.jpg

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Got to get her ready for the long ride., I need to mount the leaning post. I have some 0.185" Al plate to use to spread the load so the deck will not fail. I need to drill and finish it with something. It's about 36" x 3.75" wide and mount with SS screws to the deck so it's under foot.. A good bet would be off white bed liner or I could use the paint that I used on the fuel tank, but it might not be UV stable. Any ideas? I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I want the boat back online in two weeks or less.

Lean !.jpg

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I can't help if you are asking me. I just don't have the knowledge. Sounds like the bed liner might work.

It has taken me 4 weeks just to find the new windshield rubber for the Menemsha. I gutted the boat and then it started raining. I'm going out this spring if I have to row.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I Need a solution that I can implement.I will see if it come in a rattle can or brush/roller application. You better get it in gear or fishing season is right about now my friend! Joe went out and got a limit of trout on Wed!

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I found some two part epoxy primer and a bit of acid primer pre-wash. I did the jitterbug, de grease and prep tonight. The plan is to prime on Sat after it warms up and drys out. I think I have just enough deck paint to finish the job! I should have it installed by mid week if we can get a few dry days. See the attached. If you look close you can see the plates that I have attached the seat. Next I will have to mount it, but I will take another look on Tue before I drill a bunch of holes in my deck.

Lean !.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: onehottip

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Update, it been dry for over a week!
A little update, when I sold the 17ft boat I let it go with trolly on it like a dummy. I did not know how to mount it to the Outrage with the bow rail. I should have looked it up. Now I have wasted a bunch of money buying another TM, and converting it to i-pilot. Now I'm getting closer. I pulled the strongman off. The plan is the install an Al plate in that location to use ad a base for the motor mount. I had to add a couple of mounting location on the bow. I installed a couple of hockey pucks. I decided to add a bow roller as well. I painted the plate and half the motor mount with epoxy
primer and the same paint that I used on the boat. In this cold weather it took over a day for it to cure properly, but it seems OK now. I can't deploy the motor with the boat on the trailer. I will have to wait until the next outing to see how practical it is to launch and retrieve the TM under the the bow rail. I hope this works out! I need to make some type of restraint for trailering and running in the washing machine.

20190317_185107.jpg 20190317_185114.jpg 20190323_180529.jpg 20190323_185559.jpg
I hate rework!
But it is required. The first issue is one of the hockey pocks did not work. It seems that the epoxy was a bit migratory. If you try it, you need to say on top of it as it curing and top it off. On my rework I add about an oz. Some of it was thickened with chopped glass. That should help it stay in place. The next problem is it is not very stiff. It would have been better is the plate a 1/4". I'm going to fab some type of under support brace for it. I can't have it flopping around like a big boob!

Last edited:

ssrmr2

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
hey karlow,

looking good... I mounted my trolling motor off the port side of my montauk, I was able to have a fully supposed starboard plate screwed down. in the case of an outrage you maybe able to get more purchase (support) so the motor isn’t cantelevering around in the swells. my first trolling motor flopped about a lot.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Yea buddy that's today's concern! 1/4" plate would have helped. Today I rigged a towing clamp for the head. It will help mainly for horizontal motion. It clamps the head to a rail upright I need a solution for vertical motion. I have a piece of the 1" plastic left. my plan is to fab a support out of it or maybe some thinner plastic. This would be easier to fab from metal strap. That might be too ugly we will see! On my 17boat it was no issue because there were no rails. The motor was not cantilever on that boat.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
More rework. I did her out once with the trolling motor. it seems OK, but I have for the update after some adventures with my buddies boat last week. We hung an anchor at Havasu and put some serious stress on the front on that Tracker trying to get it back. He had another little issue when his trolling motor deployed at about 25knotts! That left a mark. I'm thinking my rig would not survived those two events. The new plate is about 7lbs and 1/4" its not going to fail. I just hope it stays on the boat

Mount 2a.jpg mount 2.0.jpg 20190530_172736.jpg

Reactions: One_Leg

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I have had a few runs to Catalina. To date she is only good for 3 MPG. She has been swinging a 19" laser II. She might be over propped. I did move the motor up a hole. Nothing bad happened so it must be a good thing. I have updated the throttle so now it can reach full throttle. No more banging into the radio. She may be a bit of a low rider. I have not deployed the trolly yet, but she rides solid.

War rigged.jpg Dash view 6-19.jpg Sitting a bit below the line..jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: repo805

Mark49

Mark litwiler
Dec 26, 2016
Lompoc
Name
Mark Litwiler
Boat
In search
How much freeboard do you have in back with all your gear and fuel?

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
You are looking at it. She is fully loaded with bait tank running