karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Well none of that actually worked. I pulled the main pin and retracted it all the way. The problem was the the system was pressurized. You have to remove the cap on the reservoir and let the pressure out to make any progress. I also connected a vacuum pump to it. It seem OK today no dribbles. I did not turn it on, I just added another layer of JB weld. I will hook it up and give it shot on Monday. Fingers crossed! Today I updated the volt gauge and the run lights.

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Its always something. After a few days off, I went to start her up to check the new fuel gauge today. You know, to get the battery voltage up to 14.5. She fires up with a rump rump rump. I try the bulb it seems to work at first then it gets worse and dies. Time was up, I had to run to my sisters to fix some plumbing. I get back after some plumbing success for a change. The bulb never got hard, so I pulled the cover. The water separator looked dry. Squeezing the bulb was not doing the trick. I disconnected the fuel line same crap. Its a new bulb, it should be working. I suck on it a bit and it starts to work. The check valve does not work for crap when its dry it seems. I hook it back up squeeze squeeze squeeze and the water separator/ detector starts to leak, just great. I took it apart and replaced the o-ring. I try again, now the fuel filter starts to leak!
Houston, we have a problem!
That did not fix it. The leak is gone, but the motor only runs on spray.
Not good, it was A OK the the last time I ran it. I pulled the fuel line off the VAS and stick a pressure gauge. I ran it on spray a bit, and I see 15 psig. I pulled the gauge and added a jar, yep it pumps gas. Humm I need a manual, my guess is the water in the old fuel tank got to her. It never ends, She is not ready to go no dam where!

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I manage to pull the VST on Monday, today I managed to open it after a bit of work with the hot wrench. As it turns out, the needle is stuck in the seat there was almost no fuel in the VST. time to order parts. See below, that gold tip on the needle is corrosion.

20181025_175841.jpg

Last edited:

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
EDIT: Nevermind, I see the other thread posted about the Honda vst problems.

K, what's a VST? Is that a modern VRO equivalent? I am ordering a repair kit for mine I think. I can keep it running with the 'push the key to enrich' starting method.
Press the key when it starts to stumble and it smooths out again.

I'm growing more confident as I go that I'm getting close. But cash flow is delaying me a bit.

Sending vibes your way hoping you get her going.

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
The VST functions like part of a carburetor. It receives fuel from the low pressure fuel pump. There is a needle, seat, and float assembly similar to a carb. It's job is to collect fuel in a small storage tank to supply a high pressure fuel pump which is located in or feed from the bottom of the tank. The needle, seat, float assembly controls the fuel level in the tank. On my VST the needle is stuck in the seat preventing fuel from reaching the tank.
One thing you should consider, that VRO is the only source of oil on your motor. If I had any suspicion that it was not working correctly, I would park it until it was fixed, or delete the VRO system and premix the oil and fuel. On a 2 stroke, if the cab fails on one cylinder, that cylinder is getting very little or no oil. It would be running on borrowed time. Clean the cabs or budget for a new motor.

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Thanks for the warning but I have oil on my plugs when I check them. Pretty sure if I buy the real OMC kit it repairs both sides of the pump also. No chinese substitute parts for me.

All carbs have complete rebuild kits in them, floats set according to instruction sheet. Very simple carbs as I recall.

I wish to hell there were good travelling mechanics up this way. I tried one guy, had me tow my boat to his "shop'. He wasn't there. Texted. Told me to leave it out front, lol. Riiiiight! He gets blasted on YELP.

Poor guys a crack head or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: repo805

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
More boat fun this weekend.I was waiting for the parts to repair the VST. The fishing reports looked more like fishing than catching. So I figured I would get something off the list. I went to replace the prop seals. I had changed the oil earlier and i did not like the look of the oil that I removed. It was a pretty mint green. What could go wrong right? Without a manual, you can easily head down the wrong path! You drain the oil, remove the two carrier retaining bolts and remove the carrier right, WRONG! That is OK for a Volvo, but that is not the way it done on a Honda. It cost me hours or extra work! I was going to get a manual sooner of later. Sooner is the right answer! First you pull the carrier out w/o the prop shaft. Then you wast hours trying about a dozen times to reassemble the thing. This include measuring and remeasuring to verify that the if the bearing goes back into the carrier it should fit back together. My assumption was that if I could it aligned properly it would just slip back together. Seems reasonable to me. Nope, its pressed together and should not have been taken apart. FYI, you can order a manual online on CD, and they will allow you to instantly download a copy as well. For about $20, you can save a lot of time an frustration. Press off/ Press on

20181028_101511.jpg 20181028_123300.jpg 20181027_105200.jpg 20181028_100517.jpg

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Keep on keeping on Karl. I just jumped to a Menemsha, and sold my Outrage to a friend.

I am into a whole new project like a dummy.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
What's this out of the pan and into the fire? A Menemsha is a rare and strange bird. I broke that drive shaft seal carrier trying to remove it today! You would think they would have made some provisions to remove the dam thing, but no. Lets just mount it in some cavity with no access. It looks like that drive shaft seal could have been a problem. There was a bit of rust up top. I did mount four rod holders and install the anchor and rope today. She should be ready to get wet if I can stop braking stuff. I could pull and check the thermostats. I like to know that things work before going out.

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Amen to checking and rechecking. Hope you are making progress.

I went down to a local launch area with the new owner of the Outrage and played with the idle jets. It runs fine in gear but still has a 'lean sneeze' in neutral. Close, but I advised him to take it to a pro for final adjustments.

The Menemsha is in great shape under the oxidation. The motor runs fine but is an oldie without trim & tilt. Looking to upgrade to a more modern set up at some point.

I have been doing fastener replacements. Over length screws protruding into storage areas become hand rippers on a rocking boat so they are being swapped.
Some attachments were done that should have been bolted with backing washers but long small diameter screws were used. Hand rippers with no holding strength.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Well Harold, where are the pics?
I show u mine the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
I’ve got everything Meneshsa for sale if you need it . Full original interior, seating, etc.
EF31820B-EC7E-44EF-9DC2-420A2E18439D.jpeg

B4BEDB5D-7D57-448F-A5D3-0E08813945A5.jpeg

alex88

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 15, 2006
Oakland
Name
Alex
Boat
2003 Robalo R235
Thanks for the warning but I have oil on my plugs when I check them. Pretty sure if I buy the real OMC kit it repairs both sides of the pump also. No chinese substitute parts for me.

All carbs have complete rebuild kits in them, floats set according to instruction sheet. Very simple carbs as I recall.

I wish to hell there were good travelling mechanics up this way. I tried one guy, had me tow my boat to his "shop'. He wasn't there. Texted. Told me to leave it out front, lol. Riiiiight! He gets blasted on YELP.

Poor guys a crack head or something.
Try Bice mobile marine LLC. He’s highly recommended up here

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Hey your ugly girl even came with a head!
Other than all the extra holes, she seems to be in really good shape.
But no mater what shape she is in, those things are just odd ducks!
She should be nice in the winter time. You need to track down the prior owner and take away all his drill bits man!

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Update.
I fixed the sump drain this week. It was the only drain I had not inspected. It looked OK from the top, but it had a clam shell on the bottom which made it hard to see inside. The first problem was the screws were not in good shape but a dremel tool solved that.

20181109_180757.jpg 20181109_183210.jpg 20181111_103158.jpg 20181111_104642.jpg 20181111_105002.jpg 20181112_175521.jpg 20181111_112412.jpg 20181111_104950.jpg

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Lol, I haven't had my coffee. I almost googled dermal tool, lol. Dremel.

I was advised to replace my brass drain tube by the internet knowledgeable. But need to grow a pair before I start playing with brass structures.

Did you get your lower unit situated?

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
On the brass, you can see from that pic I have formed the one end. I replaced them on the 17ft boat years ago. On that one it was not too hard. It would not have been a issue on that sump as well. Except the hole on the bottom was over sized and not smooth enough. It might leak. I never bought the tool, just a small ball hammer, a trailer ball, some washers and all tread, You form one end, Add o-ring. stick it through and mark it with a sharpie. Pull it and cut it. Remember you have to anneal the brass before forming it. On the one end you can re-anneal during the forming if you like. You can use a propane torch for the anneal.
Everything has to be a Pain In the Butt!.
I finally got her fired up last night after verifying fuel to the injector rail and dicking around with kill switch clip. She is alive! She is not pumping water out of the top!
I think the water tube is not mating with the pump. There is lots of water coming out of the bottom (not the prop). It's close, but I have to pull it one more time. I just hope I did not bake anything this time.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Its alive! I was wrong about the pump. The issue is when I installed the pump, the key slipped out of position. It was a 20 min fix. She is running and pumping now. Not quite as smooth as I remembered, and not as smooth as that DF-70 on the little boat but OK. She has a bit of a random miss. I checked one plug on Sat, it looked pretty sharp with a bit of rust on it. They are likely OK. I will start it a few more times this week and maybe get her wet this weekend.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Sat was a possiblity, but now I have to show up at work.
The Butts are safe from me this weekend!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Well that was the plan on Sat, but the weather did not look so good. I ended up at lake Silverwood on Joes Tracker. Currently this Sat looks even worse. I will take another pass.

Saturday
WNW wind 10 to 15 kt. Showers likely after 10am. Mixed swell...W 5 ft and S 2 ft. Wind waves 1 ft building to 4 ft.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
You should fish that thing until the end of the year. Then you can go into rehab mode. But u know we are on the best coast so we fish 360 days a year. You can chase butts or stripe bass all thru the dead of winter.