karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
I fabed a mount for the stearn light on Sun. Looks good too! Mounted the bilge pump on Tue. Started to sort out the finder today. Not much dash space on this one! Not much free space inside. I will need to learn to travel light! There is more space inside and on top of the 17ft console!

rear view.jpg Dash view.jpg

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Nice methodical work!!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Not really, she will always be a bit rough, but she will look great from 10ft at 10 Knts!
I should get some fuel in it this weekend and get her fired up.

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Wow Karl, I've been working on my Whaler a lot and I'm gonna be bummed if you go fishing before I do. My chore wasn't anything as ambitious as yours but has been taking all my spare time.
Currently rewiring my trailer with all new LED lighting.
Your night shot gave me an idea how my new red cockpit lighting is going to look.
You have some talent, but I use the 'looks good from 10 feet' option sometimes too.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I was going to try roll and tip, but he guy that gave me the paint said it does not work well when its hot, and it was about 104F. It was thinned with acetone and shot with an old school spray gun. I could not get it to be very glossy except for the hatch. To do that you need to keep it very wet and its hard to do with a large surface that's setting up so fast. Maybe if the solvent was not acetone it would have worked better or if it was cooler. I used the roller on the deck for primer and non-slip. I also rolled the bottom paint. All you have to do is put in an hour or two every day for months (except when u go fishing)! Today, I got home too late, but I did manage to get in a bit of screen time putting spots in the fish finder, and I installed the spare. I need to pick up a throw cushion. Those under gunnel lights are too bright. I need to tone them down. As for beating me to the water, not likely because I planing on taking Wet Ride out for YT on Sat. Rehab is not going out this weekend.

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I meant I'd be bummed for me, I hope yours gets done like a breeze.

Have fun Saturday.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I have started putting some gas in it on Thur. This weekend, I will be able to check the fuel gauge. It's also ready to start for the first time since I first checked it out about 5 months ago. I picked up that T-Top that's in the classified section on Thur. I can't install it yet I need to add an AL strip to the deck for the install. I was taking my sweet time putting the deck down just in case I found one (T-TOP). Now that its been down for a month or so one pops up. I'm not sure what to do about the seating. That is why I have not installed them yet. Maybe a leaning post or or a reversible seat like the 17 ft. I also need to install replacement marker lights on the trailer. I installed the spare on Thur.
Ordered a 2nd bilge pump and a tossing cushion last night.

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I bought LED markers in amber from O'reilly's and had to order red from ebay.
I hope to finish that tomorrow. Then I will be gassing up too. Will be sync'-ing the carbs, then should be floating again.....

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
OK no fishing this time too much moon and I'm lazy. U might beat me to the water, its been so long it does not matter any more. We will get um next week! I need to work on two boats and a car, but i get to sleep in !!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Some good and some bad. I gave a bath today. The plan was to take her to a scale today. That did not work out so well. After I got there the dude would not allow me to weight the boat separate from the truck. I ask him why, he said it was his scale. That was a wast of fuel and time. I need to find another scale! After I got back I can see some hydro fluid had leaked from the trim. It works OK and sounds better than the trim on that DF70. I went to fire it up for the first time Fri night. It would crank, but nothing on the dash was working. I had to do some wiring rework. Now the the trim gauge works, the volt gauge is off. I have put 1/2 a tank of gas in there (30 gal) and the gauge indicates about 3/8 a tank or less (when I checked it with 15 gal, it was just above empty should be close to 1/4 tank). That is not likely adjustable, crap. Now when you turn on the ignition, you get two beeps, and a green light on one of the indicators for a few sec. She fires right up and idles almost smooth! That Honda sounds good just like when I first hear her so many months ago. Then tach works but I never see anything on the tach display. The trim gauge might work correctly. I used the fish finder to verify that the charging system is working. One thing, the motor seems to cranks a bit slow. I would expect it to spin faster. I checked the fit of the side rails for the Tee Top, yep more bad news. The position of the cross rail will block the door on the side of the console. My plan was to mount a 2"x1/8" AL strap to the deck and attach the Tee Top to it. After this issue, my new plane To use some 2" x 2" AL box section. I went to IPS, what I found is 2x2 U section. It must be about 3/16" It should work great. The Tee Top will clear the door and it will also clear my head by an extra 2". The bad news is aluminum is $5 a pound an I bought about 12lbs of it!

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Yea more love for the lady, I pulled main door off the console to refinish it. I need a transom motor support and a new trim switch for the motor. I need a solution for the winch bracket. I would like to avoid drilling holes in the teak.
Dam it, I hav missed another dead line. Bug season starts on Sat. This girl is going to be late to the party! big time.

Last edited:

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
There is always something, that door on the console should be held together by four dowel pins. I have one dowel pin intact. Three broken off with half lodged in opposing sections of wood and it is in four pieces. I drilled them out, we will have to see how straight my work is.

Reactions: onehottip

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
She is looking better now! I just need to install the bait tank and the trap puller base. She could get wet any time now! It looked like there was a lot of space to work with until you add the seats and set the bait tank back there. There is no room now! This tank will be installed the same as on the smaller boat. The only choice is to push it up as close to the seats as possible, or as close to the motor well as possible. Nether location will not give you much space to move around in the stern,

20180930_183500.jpg

Last edited:

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I dropped $50 worth of petrol in mine. Starts up but after 5 minutes of idling it coughs and drops a smoke bomb??? I shut it down and cruising the net for ideas while I wait for a service manual.
I do have trailer lighting that works, lol. I'm trying to beat the end of salmon season...

PS Karl, your classic looks so good.....

Last edited:

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
Aug 26, 2009
San Diego
Name
John B
Boat
BW
You try an aggressive compound and buff the paint for gloss? I heard that acetone can mess with gloss as well. It doesn't look bad. Looks like some of the new matte colors out now on cars.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
I had not herd that about the acetone. That could be the issue, my guess is it flashes off too fast. I ended up with lots of sections that seem like over spray. The guy that gave me the paint said to use the acetone to thin it and the spray it. A smoke bomb sounds like the oil injection is having an issue. I would give it a real good inspection. On a 2 smoke, the oil injection is the lifeblood of your engine. If it fails the engine dies! It has to be 100% on all cylinders.

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
I had not herd that about the acetone. That could be the issue, my guess is it flashes off too fast. I ended up with lots of sections that seem like over spray. The guy that gave me the paint said to use the acetone to thin it and the spray it. A smoke bomb sounds like the oil injection is having an issue. I would give it a real good inspection. On a 2 smoke, the oil injection is the lifeblood of your engine. If it fails the engine dies! It has to be 100% on all cylinders.
Yes I'll be checking it out when the manual arrives. It felt good to just walk away for a couple of days. I'm in the hate part of boat love/hate deal currently.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Welcome 2 the club. My power trim is still leaking some. I'm going to test her with the bait tank pushed all the way to the stern to see how she handles the weight. I also decided that I can't mount the crab trap puller to the top of the gunnel. it's just too low. I need to develop a taller solution.

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
Well, its always something right. We have sprung a bit a leak and I have been chasing it for over a week. When I took her for that little drive the trim was leaking when I got back. As it turns out the issue is corrosion not seals. So some grinding and JB weld and more leaking. Clean with brake cleaner and repeat. The issue seems to be that the JB weld takes too long to set up. To date I have managed to make it worse not better. I tried a different approach today. I did the clean grind clean cycle but I then hit it with Super glue and water. This is followed by drying, a heat gun and JB weld.
We will see if this is a cure on Sat. Super glue setup in the absence of air. If you cover it with water it sets in a snap.

rancanfish

Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Sorry man. It will come together. At least that's what I tell myself as the season slips away.