81 Yellowtail: Sea Adventure II Report 3/28

PENN

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Short version: We got almost wide open fishing on yellowtail for 3 hours.

Long version: It just goes to show that sometimes its about persistance....

So, 5 weeks ago, I hear about the great Yellowtail fishing at Collonett and try to get my first yellow of the year. It went like this:

Weekend 1: 1.5 day Collonett: CANCELED: BAD WEATHER
Weekend 2: 1.5 day Collonett: CANCELED: BAD WEATHER
Weekend 3: 2 Day Collonett: Water turns puke green, no Yellows.

mid week: Yellowtail bite goes off at Coronados, 3/4 boats getting up to 100+ fish

Weekend 4: 3/4 Day: Too much boat traffic, we catch zero yellows, though at the last stop they boil all over the stern. I get a bit & spit by one :1041677399:

mid week: AGAIN, the Yellowtail bite goes off at Coronados, 3/4 boats getting up to 60+ fish

Weekend 5: 3/4 Day: Too much boat traffic and we get 3 for the whole boat. Casting jigs at the Wrong place and wrong time for me and I end up catching NOTHING for the day, Not even a rockfish (and a 0.8 pound rockfish took jackpot).

We come back to the dock, and Im frustrated because I cant take off work to get on the bite, and I hear that the Sea Adventure II had 35+ on the yellows. They were leaving again that night, do I go and put off my sunday errands? HELL YES! I walk over to the landing and buy my ticket. Drove home, took a shower, put my deck books back on and drive stright back to the landing.

During departure and bait loading, I noticed that the boat had some real talent on board, including two deckhands from the Royal Star. Chuck Taft owns the boat, and this is the 2nd time Ive fished with the guy (the first being on the Jig Strike last year, where we were BOMBARDED by the yellowfin). Chuck is the stereotypical boat captain: crusty, salty and grumpy. And not to mention, a lion of a fisherman.

Super smooth ride down, waking up along the coast to a slight breeze and goergous sunrise.

We motor around, spotting pods of birds. Chuck had mentioned that the previous day, the fish were slow to get going and didnt bite until 11am. Not so today....on our first slide the PA squawks: "THROW BAIT! THROW BAIT! They're right underneath the boat!"

HOOK UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!

Bam! Bam! Bam! The yellows charge the boat and half the passengers are bendo! All up and down the starboard side! Everything works, my first two casts resulted in two yellows.

yt1.jpg

The next 2 hours, we repeat the same pattern, chasing the bird pods, watching for the bonito schools. Each time, we would slide up, throw bait, and the yellows would charge the boat. If you fished the plug on the bow, you'd get chased and then slugged by a yellow. Most of the guys fished a yo-yo, the color wasnt importent, Scrambled, blue and white, chrome, green and yellow were all getting eaten. One of the passangers fished his Japanese butterfly style and was also getting hammered. We filled the killbox after EVERYSTOP. :Smoke_Emoticon:

I fished a 6X Jr in the scrambled egg, 30lb test and a brand new Newell 322. By 8am, I already had my limit of yellows.

Then, it faded out. By 9am, we came up one puddling bonies but didnt even mark yellows on the sonar. They pulled a fast one on us. we motored around for 3 hours in beautiful gloss water and never even metered a fish. Chuck made the comment "Damn, if not for this morning, you'd think this place would be a desert."

No that anyone was complaining, it was grins all around, with 3-4 Yellowtail per rod. Mixed in where some big bonies and even a rockfish or two by those who let thier jigs sink too deep LOL.

We made our way up the line, looking for more 'tail, but saw nothing except bonito schools (and they were everywhere).

In the end, we totaled 81 Yellowtail. Not everyone on the boat was fishing hardcore, they were girlfriends and wives on board who watched TV, came out to yank on a fish or two, then went back to watching TV, and those who were adament about hooking them on the plug (much to Chuck's chargrin! LOL "Arrrrrgghhhh! FIsh the yo-yo iron! You aint gonna catch nothing doing that!!!!")

Im happy as a pig in sh*t. Finally, after 5 trips of Yellowtail skunk, I bet all the chips and hit a royal flush for some of the best local Yellowtail fishing I've had in years. ANd to top it off, after getting the fish out of the hold, Bubba the deckhand points to me and lets me know that I got the biggest fish and the jackpot!

yt2.jpg

Damn folks, it doesnt get better than that! A great thanks to Chuck, Eddie the cook, Bubba the deckie and the whole crew for on the spot gaffing and customer service.

Also, thanks to Passengers Mike (who works the tackle shop at H&M), and the Royal Star deckies for making the trip absent of drunken meatheads and blowhards (which were present on the 3/4 day trips).

It just goes to show, keep going at it until it pays off! I'll try to post pics later (once I figure it out). And by the way, the fishing is off again, Chuck didnt get'em the next day, and the weather is getting shitty today. Sorry guys, Ive been there!

yt3.jpg

A final note: I talked to Chuck about the Sea Adventure itself, which he had just bought and re-furbished. Its the old Mustang, which, the last time I rode on her was when I was 16 years old, back in 1995, during which I caught my first yellowtail on a flylined squid at San Clemente. Just plain cool.

Upvote 0

Deno

NO SHENANIGANS....
Jun 23, 2006
EL CAJON.
Name
DENO
Boat
23 CC SEA PRO
Cool write up!! Congrats on your catch and thanks for the report..

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Name
Dave
Boat
Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
Was Chuck digesting his cigar?
Nice trip dude!!!!!!!

Haha! Funny you mention that, during one of the stops, we notice a cigar case floating by. We were like:
"dude, that sucks, someone lost thier cigar."
"wheres the gaff? I want to try and gaff it!"

Chuck walks past and growls "naw, thats mine. Some passenger gave it to me last trip, EMPTY!"

Messed up move to pull that on him.

Upvote 0

mik911

Apr 6, 2008
SoBay, SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
9'6" longboard
We come back to the dock, and Im frustrated because I cant take off work to get on the bite, and I hear that the Sea Adventure II had 35+ on the yellows. They were leaving again that night, do I go and put off my sunday errands? HELL YES! I walk over to the landing and buy my ticket. Drove home, took a shower, put my deck books back on and drive stright back to the landing.

Now *THAT's* hard core.
Congrats on the Yellows...........you certainly earned it.

Upvote 0

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Congrats man-Persistence paid off for you in a big way.

Upvote 0

YellowTail310

Jul 28, 2006
Name
G
Boat
None
Nice write up. I felt like I was there reading your post. Congrats!

X2.

Very good report and it just goes to show...its fishing and not catching!! Congrats, bro!

Upvote 0

JoeGoFish

Piscor
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Joe
Boat
Shopping
Excellent post! After reading your story I now understand why my lust for Vegas and fishing seem so similar. Gambling it all and hitting the mother-load after a long losing streak is the BEST! Congratulations!

Upvote 0

Triple555

Captain
Aug 3, 2009
Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Justin
Boat
23 Seaswirl "Seasquirrel"
Great post man!!! Love the enthusiasm and all "hard core" fisherman will appreicate it!!! 5 trips before scoring, way to be committed!!!

I remember when I was real young, early 20's...went on an overnite and it sucked...got back to the landing, saw the 1 1/2 day boats scored better...booked it and got on!!! Gotta be committed!!!

Thx for the report

Upvote 0

PullinAhi

Fisherman
Feb 8, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Ryan
Boat
18 foot CC
Nice job. I fish the S A 2 the night you guys got in. Figured it had to be good.... Well we got 1 yellow, Chuck busted his butt for us but it wasn't like it ws over the weekend. I like his style. I ill definatly fish with him again.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2009
HB
Name
Mike
Boat
Shamrock CC
Nice yellowtail fishing, I doubt you'll have another trip like that, its almost like pulling on a slot machine you don't know if that pull will bring in the fish.

Upvote 0

Headshot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
You guys scored, Congrats!
Thanks for the bitchen report!
Tim

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Anyone able to give a good low down on the boat itself? I booked it for a 2 day this summer and want to know how it fishes. Good platform? How many fit the galley? Rail space? RSW? Bow space for the iron slingers? What about crew and food?

I hope to see her at Day at the Docks but any and all info appreciated.

Upvote 0

Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
Anyone able to give a good low down on the boat itself? I booked it for a 2 day this summer and want to know how it fishes. Good platform? How many fit the galley? Rail space? RSW? Bow space for the iron slingers? What about crew and food?

I hope to see her at Day at the Docks but any and all info appreciated.

I worked on this boat for a number of years and I can tell you 1st hand tht it is a fish killing machine!
Yellowtail love her. Tuna do too but not like Yellows and Dorado do.
The Bow is a plug slingers Paradise!!! It's huge and flat! Plus since the boat tends to drift slightly stern 1st it ends up being the spot where the Bluefin bite the best from.

The boat carries a MASSIVE amount of bait! 150 scoops in the on deck tanks and has a 250 scoop below deck slammer.
The boat was going to be fitted with RSW system but the refrig holds (10 tons each) did a fine job so either way that will not be an issue
Galley seats about 25 at a time but it has been redone so........... You may find it hard to find a bunk to fit you. Being 6ft 5" you will find all the bunks to be to short unless your able to get one of the bow bunks and those were crew quarters back when i rode her.

Upvote 0

PullinAhi

Fisherman
Feb 8, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Ryan
Boat
18 foot CC
Hey Brian there are a handful of double bunks in the center of the bunk room. There are bunks for 40 people. How many is your trip going with? If it's a lighter load of maybe 20-25 maybe if you chat with them ahead of time you can reserve one of the doubles. I'm 6-1 and in my bunk aboard the boat I had about 3 inches of room at my feet. As for the bow ... We had 6 guys up there throwing iron at the same time with room to spare. We had a little chop driving back up the line.... If there is weather on your trip I would imagine the boat is probably a wet one. I have zero compaints about the boat. They have a soda machine on board. 5 bucks a day for unlimited coffee and soda. Chuck is a no B/S skipper. run and gun. Very salty and fished hard. I will deffinatly fish the boat again.

Upvote 0

Gringo Sushi

PB Skipper
Jul 22, 2009
Fullerton, CA
Name
Todd
Boat
28' Farallon Whaleback / 24' Skipjack Open
Cha-ching! Way to stick with it...

Upvote 0