80lb max drag and connections advice

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat
Hobie outback
Recently put 80lb daiwa j braid on my 16visx. This is my setup for knife jigs and flatfalls.

I have a few premade crimped 200lb mono leaders terminated by a heavy duty barrel swivel.

I have been practicing and testing the bimini twist which seems to be a significant improvement over my double sandiego (usually breaks at 60 vs haven’t pulled hard enough to break it).

A few questions:

1. Would you recommend bimini to catspaw connection for braid to barrel swivels?
2. How long do you make the loop?
3. Single or double catspaw?

4. What would be a good max drag setting with these connections. Presently 30lb at full and down to 18lb at the #2 setting. Any reason i would need more than 30lbs of drag?

thanks in advance

Reactions: jiggermyster
Jul 17, 2017
Tuna Grounds
Name
Gouryella
Boat
Lil Yachty
1. Double SD Jam Knot is sufficient.
2. Cat Paw works best for wind-ons IMO.
3. IF you do cat paw, double.
4. Drag for #80, 25lbs of drags at strike.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I have a few premade crimped 200lb mono leaders terminated by a heavy duty barrel swivel.

1. Would you recommend bimini to catspaw connection for braid to barrel swivels?
2. How long do you make the loop?
3. Single or double catspaw?

That is how I do it “in the field” if I have to but at home I ditch the Bimini and splice on a short section of hollow core with a spliced loop at the end. Loop size doesn’t really matter, if tying Bimini it usually comes out 2’ or so but splicing I keep it small 6-8”. I just use a single catspaw because for me it’s easier to take apart but I’m sure double is probably better.

Reactions: Senko888
Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I would not tie braid directly to swivel. I would go braid Fg'd to 10 foot of 100lb mono/fluoro and then a springer knot to swivel.
30lbs drag at full and accepting whatever you get at strike would be fine.
I did this exactly before I just got rid of the swivel entirely, works just fine and held up for plenty of big fish. I've simplified now and just FG 2-3 fathoms of 200lb mono then crimp with a grommeted welded ring on the jig.

I've done cat's paw to swivel before, it's not great. I'd just do a double San Diego, you really don't get any benefit with cat's paw to terminal tackle, just a lot of stress concentrations. A properly tied double San Diego isn't going to break.

Upvote 0