titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
At 7:55 am Hawaii time....9:55am California time......The world changed for better or worse....take a moment and give pause or reflection
My Dad (US Navy) was stationed Honolulu at that time and survived....15 years later I came along.....born and raised in Montana.
He taught me how to fish, which I love, and hunt, only out of necessity, and how to appriciate nature and the simple things in life but this was the one day that
pained him until the day he died......Thanks Pops.....RIP.....I'll see you sooner than later

Certainly not meant to be political in nature but just a simple statement of fact

Last edited:

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Boat
340Z SeaVee
Then my Japanese grandparents were moved to camp Manzanar. Leaving 3 commercial boats and their home on Terminal Island that they would never see again.
25 years after the gov sent them a check for $1500 for the inconvenience. The family never spoke Japanese again nor did they teach my father and his siblings any Japanese. They were trying to be as American as they could be and still proud to be American even after being locked up in camp.

the SLIDER
the SLIDER
Sorry to hear that. "through the decades" brought this up today. Said 2/3's of the Japanese forced to the camps where legal citizens. Such a tragety, hopefully to never be repeated again.
Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
Thanks for posting this.

Had the Internment Camps really been for protecting the prisoners, oops, I mean the internees, the machine guns would have been pointing outwards, and not inwards.

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Then my Japanese grandparents were moved to camp Manzanar. Leaving 3 commercial boats and their home on Terminal Island that they would never see again.
25 years after the gov sent them a check for $1500 for the inconvenience. The family never spoke Japanese again nor did they teach my father and his siblings any Japanese. They were trying to be as American as they could be and still proud to be American even after being locked up in camp.
FDR made "relocation" an excutive order in early 1942, fearful of an invasion on the west coast and it was upheld by the Supreme Court in Korematsu v United States.....after 76 years of a terrible wrong on Japanese Americans the Supreme Court finally reversed that decision in 2018 and rightfully so......Dec 7,1941 hurt so many people on both sides and like I said....it changed the world for better or worse

Upvote 0

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
Admin
Feb 4, 2003
Encinitas, CA USA
www.bdoutdoors.com
Name
Jason
Boat
340Z SeaVee
FDR made "relocation" an excutive order in early 1942, fearful of an invasion on the west coast and it was upheld by the Supreme Court in Korematsu v United States.....after 76 years of a terrible wrong on Japanese Americans the Supreme Court finally reversed that decision in 2018 and rightfully so......Dec 7,1941 hurt so many people on both sides and like I said....it changed the world for better or worse
What is nuts in my eyes is my whole family on the Japanese side was never bitter and didn't hold on to it in the years after they got out of camp. They simply went on with life having children and working.

My uncle and grandfather are in this... https://www.fearnotrout.com

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
I have a Freind whose grandparents owned strawberry farms up in Davis. The government was going to take their land, or they could give it to an “American”. They gave the land to the “American” family who owned the farm “next door”. Whom they were friends with. The “American” family promised to give the property back after the war. Yeah. Sure. Well, they decided to keep their farm in the end. Screwed them over and stabbed them in the back.

My friend's family, like yours, continued on once they were released, and never held a grudge toward the US or the people. They are hard-working loyal Americans who to this day, still love America.

I don’t think I could be that forgiving. In fact, I know I couldn’t. There would be some dead “neighbors” and I’m pretty sure I would become a vengeful “terrorists”. Hhahaha

Sadly, there was no mention of Pearl Harbor at my kids school.

Upvote 0

Invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
What is nuts in my eyes is my whole family on the Japanese side was never bitter and didn't hold on to it in the years after they got out of camp. They simply went on with life having children and working.

My uncle and grandfather are in this... https://www.fearnotrout.com
Growing up in OC, this was a common story amongst my friends. And while in the camps, their sons fought and died in Europe.

Many went back to farming and were still doing so in little parcels in Garden Grove, Fountain Valley and HB until about 10 years ago. And more devout citizens you could never imagine. It was a different generation, that literally had to survive even before that. They were just tough.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
At 7:55 am Hawaii time....9:55am California time......The world changed for better or worse....take a moment and give pause or reflection
My Dad (US Navy) was stationed Honolulu at that time and survived....15 years later I came along.....born and raised in Montana.
He taught me how to fish, which I love, and hunt, only out of necessity, and how to appriciate nature and the simple things in life but this was the one day that
pained him until the day he died......Thanks Pops.....RIP.....I'll see you sooner than later

Certainly not meant to be political in nature but just a simple statement of fact
Thank you for sharing !

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I was out on a 10 day trip on 12/7 and was thinking about it while we were coming home. Crazy world at the time. Prayers for any and all impacted by the events of that day.

I fished earlier this year with some older Japanese gentlemen and on a travel day we had a long conversation about them and their families being moved into the camps and what life was like. It was pretty humbling to hear their stories, I was honored that they choose to share them with me

Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
    Name
    Cris
    Boat
    friends :)
    If you never been to war or served in the military, you will never understand the concept of mass punishment. During hard times or extreme circumstances tough decisions are made that are not easy or fair but they have to be made . They could have choose to serve and get out of there very easy. There was a famous ( at the time ) incident that sparked this decision. Japanese family hid a downed Japanese pilot and they attacked the authorities when they got discovered. There were many Japanese living in America that were more loyal to the Emperor than to the USA .

Upvote 0

padsfan

Sep 6, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Prowler 13 “Sustainable Farming”
    If you never been to war or served in the military, you will never understand the concept of mass punishment. During hard times or extreme circumstances tough decisions are made that are not easy or fair but they have to be made . They could have choose to serve and get out of there very easy. There was a famous ( at the time ) incident that sparked this decision. Japanese family hid a downed Japanese pilot and they attacked the authorities when they got discovered. There were many Japanese living in America that were more loyal to the Emperor than to the USA .
    WRONG. There was no option for serve or go to an interment camp.

Upvote 0

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
    Name
    Cris
    Boat
    friends :)
    WRONG. There was no option for serve or go to an interment camp.
    Are you sure ? I was under the impression you could ask to serve during the war. Not trying to doubt your statement , just know they had the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, which consisted entirely from Japanese males from Hawaii and United States

Upvote 0

padsfan

Sep 6, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    Prowler 13 “Sustainable Farming”
    Are you sure ? I was under the impression you could ask to serve during the war. Not trying to doubt your statement , just know they had the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, which consisted entirely from Japanese males from Hawaii and United States

Please just do a google search on it.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Amy other “boomers” with stories to tell? My dad was in the National Guard for two years, stationed in Hawaii. Mustered out September 1941. In January 1942 he enlisted in the Navy, remained in the reserves and got called up for Korea.

Mom and Dad met in Long Beach, she was working at the Pike.

Upvote 0