Reelax_N_Fish

Almost A Member
Oct 5, 2010
San Diego
Name
Josh
Boat
These feet were made for walking
Looking to get an 80# reel. Help me decide between Makaira 16 and the PENN16VISX. The reel will mostly be used for flat falls and/or dropper loop. TIA

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I have Mak 16 and 20, love them both. On my recent trip on Tomahawk the fish were running Big and Bigger so I used the Mak 20 (700 yards/100# JB metered braid), thought it was just right. 120#, 125# and 185# BFT fished up to 40# of drag big fish came to gaff in 19 minutes. No experience with VISX I do love my Penn Torques though!

Reactions: Reelax_N_Fish
Upvote 0

wtrbrdm

1143 Miles From The Landing
Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Name
Ben
Boat
Excel
Penn.....FTW!!!

In all seriousness.....they're a toss up. I fished both and just liked the feel I got from the Penn reels better. Buttery smooth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Help me decide between Makaira 16 and the PENN16VISX

Mak advertised as having the tiniest bit more drag. VISX will hold the tiniest bit more line.
    Mak gearing is the tiniest bit lower.
    VISX weighs the tiniest bit less.
    Mak drag lever moves the tiniest bit smoother.
    It's a toss-up for handles.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either. :D

Edit: On second thought...

The Mak comes with TSI lubed bearings, actually produces advertised drag ratings without fuss, comes with a 5 yr warranty, AND 5 full years of free service. Bottom line, both will perform similarly but the Mak appears to be a better value and therefore would be the smarter purchase.
    :slap:

Edit to edit: This is assuming they are equally priced. If you find one or the other at a discounted price. You know what to do!
    :beerbang:

Last edited:

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I have a penn visx 12 for 60lb, the 16 visx for 80lb and use a mak 20 for 100lb. I'm selling the mak 20 and getting the visx 20 for 100lb. It's personal preference, you're going to have penn guys say penn and okuma guys say maks. Go to a shop and put both in your hands and see which one feels better to you. You can't go wrong with either but get the PENN😁

Last edited:
    Reactions: Buttchaser

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    I love what my penn reels do for me , can’t complain... I fish all the penn visxs models 12, 16, 20,30, and 50 .. They are tanks .. I also have a Mak 15t , it’s been back and forth for maintenance twice ...
    last weekend I used a visx20 on 100lb on a uc 100lb prototype rod..
    1FD0EB86-C98A-4F61-8C26-34FE8717A1D3.jpeg

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I love what my penn reels do for me , can’t complain... I fish all the penn visxs models 12, 16, 20,30, and 50 .. They are tanks .. I also have a Mak 15t , it’s been back and forth for maintenance twice ...
    last weekend I used a visx20 on 100lb on a uc 100lb prototype rod.. View attachment 1291233
    Nice fish John! I want to know more about this uc prototype rod

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    The Mak comes with TSI lubed bearings, actually produces advertised drag ratings without fuss, comes with a 5 yr warranty, AND 5 full years of free service. Bottom line, both will perform similarly but the Mak appears to be a better value and therefore would be the smarter purchase.
    Made in Taiwan, all the saved costs in labor allowed them to put all they needed into it. Imagine the makairas where made in the USA, they would probably cost a hundred more.

Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Nice fish John! I want to know more about this uc prototype rod
    ooh... making everyone jealous.

Could bit an 8' with centaur tip and viper butt?

All I was told is to try this” 100lb prototype ” There are many rod that are labeled prototype .. Nothing else was mentioned other than” it’s 100lbs prototype “.

Reactions: Kos
    Upvote 0