CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Went out with an Erik for my 30th birthday and he wounded a deer that we spent 8+ hours looking for never to recover it. He was using a .223 ( I told him it was way to small and was using open sights) shot was only 50 yards. It was the biggest 4X4 in D11 I have ever seen. Great blood trail but went dry.

Went out Sunday for my 38th Birthday with another Erik and Same thing happened. He wounded a real nice 3X2 in D13 but was using a .30-30 scoped. Shot wsa at 110 yards. Lunged him as we found plenty of bubbles and chunks of lung.

Conclusion. No more hunting with Erik's on my birthday.

Reactions: finsane and marlyn

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Or just get better at tracking wounded deer.
Tracked for over three miles and over 8 hours when the blood trail disappeared. Copper rounds do that.

Reactions: jer dog

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Without speed copper is just like shooting something with a target arrow. 223 with a 70 or 80 grainer is right on the bottom end.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

frazier

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Without speed copper is just like shooting something with a target arrow. 223 with a 70 or 80 grainer is right on the bottom end.
Thats funny , every deer i have shot with my 270 with Barnes copper bullets has dropped like a stone !

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Yep go back a couple days later and look for the ravens they will show you where your deer is , nothing goes to waste in nature
We were able to locate it the next day but a mountain lion had already peed all over it. Im sure by now the ravens are feasting. We were able to cut off the antlers and report it to CADFW.

Reactions: finsane

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Thats funny , every deer i have shot with my 270 with Barnes copper bullets has dropped like a stone !
Think of all the people with a 30 30 shooting copper 170 grainers at over one hundred yards. It doesn't take long for those rounds to scrub speed to where they won't expand. I had to drop down to 100 grains in the Grendel. People shouldn't have to buy a new firearm based on junk science. How many people have died from eating venison or quail that were shot with lead.

Copper is also a toxic metal. Total political clusterfuck.

Vermonster

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 26, 2003
Escondido
Visit site
Name
Sean
Boat
I'm a Ho'.....
Well, technically, 30-30 has still taken more animals than any other caliber. If you lung shot it, I would think you would have found it, even with copper. But, maybe it actually is an "Erik" thing.....lol

• Haha

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Well, technically, 30-30 has still taken more animals than any other caliber. If you lung shot it, I would think you would have found it, even with copper. But, maybe it actually is an "Erik" thing.....lol
Copper just doesn't have the energy or expansion as lead. I didnt even hear a distinct wop you would normally hear at only 110 yards. We almost didnt look for blood but since the buck went and bedded down I figured he must have been hit.