8 Y.O. on 1.5 day?

Nov 8, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Dave
Boat
RP, Shogun, Apollo, Vag
Alrighty, opinion question here.

My 7 almost 8 year old has been hammering me to take him albacore fishing. I have taken him fishing in Kona for years, mostly sitting in the chair winding in baby ahi and some dorado/mahi mixed in on a 38 bertram backing down. Kid can slay em. Spent last week up in Bishop at Southlake, kid slayed em there too, more or less on his own.

So, he's turning 8 and telling me about how ready he is for an albacore trip and thinking about a ltd. load 1.5 day (or even ultra ltd.) as a good way to start.

Questions - opinions really...
...who's got the best kid friendly crew/trip...
...My guess is hook and hand, keep him around my ankles as much as possible following me up the rail, and hand it off to him...
...Rail height? I was listening to "lets talk hookup" this am, and they were talking about the rail on the legend and the "step" on the bow...Got me thinkin...
...Im thinking of going mid-august time frame, a little more time...last thing i want to do to him is take him on a 1.5 day trolling day, albeit out of my control...

I know the RP/Frank runs a father/son trip in June, but that seems to be missing the "season"...

I would love to have him learn from Lackey on the Vag, but that might be a bit much to start...

Thoughts?? Yeah yeah, i know everyone's a good operator etc. and no-one should say anything bad etc...I also know Buzz ran some commentary on kids fishing and starting them on the lakes...but I think its time for my grommet to start getting some rail time with his ol man...

:devil::devil:

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
For a shorter trip, I've been on the Ocean Odyssey 3 or 4 times now - crew and clientele have always seemed pretty "kid friendly". Minimal kamakazi attitudes... (unlike Prowler and some other overnight experiences)

Not the hardest core boat in the fleet, but a top notch operation, and considerate of their passengers...

Oh, and they frequently go out light...

Upvote 0

GATR

Almost A Member
May 29, 2010
Oceanside
Name
Bob
Boat
Old Gregor
Eclipse or New Loan, both boats are great with kids and have young professional crews. Eight is plenty old for troll fish and hook and hand, and most people will be more than happy to work with a kid to get his first albie.

Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
For a shorter trip, I've been on the Ocean Odyssey 3 or 4 times now - crew and clientele have always seemed pretty "kid friendly". Minimal kamakazi attitudes... (unlike Prowler and some other overnight experiences)

Not the hardest core boat in the fleet, but a top notch operation, and considerate of their passengers...

Oh, and they frequently go out light...

Well that's good to know. My 12 year old will be on his first in three weeks on the Ocean Odyssey........never fished it myself (I did fish the Blackjack for cod years ago) but got the op to get on a charter.

Took my 20 year old on the Tracer when he was 12 for his first albie. They took good care of him.

Seen a few kids on the Pac Voyager that seem to be well coached....

Upvote 0

BangHUss

Barefoot Water Skier
Mar 10, 2005
Mission Viejo, O.C. California
Name
Lupe
Boat
Boat HO
I did a 1.5 on the Eclipse earlier this month and a young kid was on his first Albie trip with his Dad. I think he was 10. The crew was super helpful with him and he got his first Albacore. I think he ended up with 2 or 3 on a day that was scratchy from sun up till dark.

Upvote 0

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
He will be fine wherever you go, just remember not to kick him off to the crew, at that age you should fish together, hook and hand,you catch 1 he catches 1.

Upvote 0

fishnazzi

Mostly just LURKING anymore...........
Feb 24, 2008
Out West....somewhere
Name
Troy
Boat
Which one.............
OK this subject came up with a fellow and his teenage daughter..........He did the leg work and choose the Islander.........he had pages of how great that choice was............My kids fished with their dad on their first trips.........I ran sportboarts all through their childhood.........In my opinion the reviews that the Islander had on the last round are stellar............................Give them a call and see what you and your child can enjoy......by all means do a search and check their track record..........

Upvote 0

Carwash

Apr 2, 2009
monrovia
Name
greg
Boat
2008 Defiance 220 EX
All depends on your kid. I take my 6 year old w/ me on day trips and lobster trips and he does fine. Now, it's my boat and I don't have to worry about him tangling eveyone elses line. If he can fish, take him, it'll make em better.

Upvote 0

fishingkid

Aug 15, 2004
Lake Elsinore
Name
Boat
N/A
i did my first over night trip on the producer when i was 9 or 10 got 5 albies my dad got 4 i had a blast the bite started an hour after we started trolling i got alittle sick for the first time then i heard HOOK UP game on never felt sick again.Before that i did alot of half day and 3/4 day trips.i really like the new loann but a little guy taking a fish around the bow may have troubles with the anchor if there nobody by his side to help him get over that section of the bow the rail is thick but the crew is GREAT and im sure would be by his side and marcus finds the fish that boats fishy.

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
OK this subject came up with a fellow and his teenage daughter..........He did the leg work and choose the Islander.........he had pages of how great that choice was............My kids fished with their dad on their first trips.........I ran sportboarts all through their childhood.........In my opinion the reviews that the Islander had on the last round are stellar............................Give them a call and see what you and your child can enjoy......by all means do a search and check their track record..........
x2 ISLANDER

Upvote 0

Headshot

Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
My opinion? I'd wait! Unless you have the cash to spend on a possible boat ride!
I'd like to say yes go hop on a boat right now and go slay'em but the fishing just isnt going off that great yet! A standard I use to live by when I use ride the charter boats was, go when its 3 fish per angler, thats when the fishing is good and go while its good dont wait because they could get'em for 3 or 4 days straight and then miss for the next 2 or 3 days!
We are all itching just like you and your son, and if you're a fisherman and have been watching this board and looking at the landings websites and their counts you'll know when the right time is to go!
Wish you and your son all of the luck and good fishing this summer and hope you guys kill'em! And when you do, post up a report here! There's nohting like seeing the stoke on a kids face when he catches a fish!
Tim

Upvote 0

torpedo

Jul 4, 2005
newport beach
Name
jay
Boat
none
"He will be fine wherever you go, just remember not to kick him off to the crew, at that age you should fish together, hook and hand,you catch 1 he catches 1."

I think this was the best advice you received. As long as you follow this, you should be ok on most boats except for few "hardcore" boats. I took my 11 year old last year on his first tuna trip and he did fine as I stayed with him the entire time. Sure its a sacrifice but I bet we both remember that trip for a long time.

Upvote 0

Throw Iron

Jun 17, 2008
Vista, Ca USA
Name
Brian
Boat
26 World Cat
I'm leaving Aug 1st on a First String, 2 day with my 9 (almost 10) yr old son. It will be his 1st sport boat trip too. I bought a little Saltist 2 speed reel for him to use and plan on just fishing with him the entire time. If I get to fish great, if not we're going to share a rod and make sure he has some success at the rail. Your son will have a blast as long as you keep him close. Bring the camera and get some shots you can show his kids some day.

Upvote 0

fishpelagic

dan the fisherman
Dec 13, 2009
Los Angelos
Name
dan
Boat
wihich ever one i'm fishing on
top gun 80 is good. New loan has a great crew to last year realy helped a 6 year old kid get 3 albies. Both are good

Upvote 0

radz

El Kapitan
Sep 3, 2003
San Diego
Name
Ruben
Boat
MooMoo
Last year i took my then 11 year old daughter on a 1.5 dayer. I stayed with her all the time to avoid running into trouble with other people on board. Sure, the deckhand likes to help kids, but your presence is what counts when she or he is on the fish. She let me fish too when she wants to rest and just watch me get some. She understand that i want to pull some fish too and told me go get em dad. :)

Upvote 0

chriscoobs

I caught a cow on one of Katanas reels
Nov 22, 2004
So Cal
Name
Chris
Boat
Sportys
How about splitting the cost of a 6 pack with another dad (or 2) who has young kids? It would be a better trip if i had to guess. 3 Dads and 3 young kids with a skipper and deckhand helping out would make a trip alot smoother than fighting for rail space IMHO.

Upvote 0

Adam12

Almost A Member
Jan 7, 2007
murrieta
Name
Adam Jadovitz
Boat
Kayak, big enough for now
I have had my son on a few boats since he was 8 and never had a problem. Just remember that the first couple of stops can be crazy with all of the adrenaline and people crashing into each other. Once things settle down, just turn him loose on his own. He will have a blast. Enjoy every moment.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2009
San Diego
Name
Shawn
Boat
None

I am that fellow. The Islander was fantastic and I can't recommend it enough. I wanted her first trip to be on a comfortable boat, big with staterooms and a great crew. Islander exceeded my expectations on a 2.5 day trip.

That being said, I've fished several boats solo and most will do just fine. I really like the Prowler for shorter trips. Remember that it's really all about spending some quality time with your kid. That's what they'll remember more than the boat.

Upvote 0