8 day SOA 9/3-9/11

Aug 14, 2019
Name
Justin Goodman
Boat
Jaylene
Returned last Saturday from an 8 day on the SOA. The first day of fishing was spent chasing yellowtail off the beach. Everything worked from surface iron, yoyo, fly line and dropper loop. Every color worked for the surface iron it seemed. The yoyo jigs they seemed more picky tho. They really seemed to like scrambled egg over any other color. Fly lining got better once the sun was up and 30-40lb test got bit all day long.
2nd day spent on the ridge fishing yellowfin and some yellowtail. Grey light it was all chromo or white yoyo jigs were the ticket early on. Once the sun came up surface iron and fly line worked.
3rd day spent time fishing yellowfin again with the same techniques working. Left mid day ish for the rocks.
4th day woke up in the dark at the rocks and dropper looped for a couple smaller yellowtail. Sharks were present but not terrible yet. Started trolling for wahoo and picked up 3 within 5 mins. 1 on the troll, one on a raider jig, one on a bomb. After that it became a pick bite whether on the troll or drifting. The bite was slow but plenty of bites. General observation was live bait was the key. Plenty of people threw bombs and jigs with not a lot of success. Many wahoo were hooked on bait but from chew offs or sharks many were lost. Also never seen so many marlin probably hooked 10 or so. Attempted to dropper loop fish in the evening but the sharks were horrendous. Boat landed 2 big yellowtail but everything else was lost to the sharks.
Overall an amazing trip and limit style fishing for yellowtail and yellowfin in the 15-30lb range.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2017
San Luis obispo
Name
Steven Goodman
Boat
Nitro
0BF5E179-7464-49D7-AC69-93D2CE800650.jpeg

73EA7390-B51A-42A9-A729-0A2ADB98592D.jpeg

Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Sounds like a fun trip, I haven't fished on the SOA with the new ownership yet I'll have to fix that.

Upvote 0