Tar Pit

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
Stay away from #14. It's next to the AC, Damp and noisy.

tommysdad

Well-Known "Member"
May 14, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jim
Boat
Parker 2320
If you count on empty bunks for extra storage, avoid 19&20, they store soda, etc in the bottom bunks there. Also, that rear head can get ripe by day 5 or 6.

I've never been in 1 or 2, but am told temp is hard to keep down because of galley.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
If you count on empty bunks for extra storage, avoid 19&20, they store soda, etc in the bottom bunks there. Also, that rear head can get ripe by day 5 or 6.

I've never been in 1 or 2, but am told temp is hard to keep down because of galley.
Going to get a lot of shit for this but, personally the RP is a long range cattle boat.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Any Boat that I can go on
Going to get a lot of shit for this but, personally the RP is a long range cattle boat.
Really? Now, Maybe its not the Indy (the best layed out and updated boat in the fleet) but of the 9 or ten LR boats its probably #4 just ahead of the RR3 (based on the boat layout/condition only and not the operation)

I found the boat comfortable on my recent 8 day and was in cabin 13 midships port side and it was good. Liked the bathroom downstairs.
Bathrooms upstairs were updated and nice. Galley /cabin area was nice too.
My only major complaint(boat layout) is the lack of rocket launchers /tackle storage area in the stern (despite the huge space there) which translated into many different tackle box alterations and customizations that you may not see on other boats and it littered the back- forward of the bait tanks. But even with that tackle box show- there was still a ton of room. Even with the 33 anglers we had.

Captain Roy is up there with ,and may be- the best. I really mean that .

Anyway fwiw I am going on 18 day in Feb on the boat and will report back how it felt with 24 or so.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Well, never fished the RP, there's the disclaimer, but haven't fish the Indy either. There's a group of five boats over 100 feet that fish Long Range. Four of them, Red Rooster III, Royal Polaris, Independence and the Big Boat, and for shorter to mid range trips they'll routinely take loads of 28-30 (Rooster) up to 32-35 (RP) except for the higher priced limited load trips.

Go to the longer trips, 15-18 dayers, loads go down like 23 on the Rooster and 22-25 on the RP, similar to the loads on Intrepid.

You really do get what you pay for. I did a 6 day in late September and the load of 29 went to 31 with an overbook of one and a sponsor's rep. If it had been anything other than Wahoo fishing, I think it would have been fine, but 31 slinging bombs and jigs with multiple hookups can be pretty crazy. I'm very much looking forward to the 14 day next month with a load of 18. Most we will see is maybe 20 and very nice way to fish.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
To Answer Steve's question..

I took the room photos on load day on a Fly down, Fly back trip..

Guys who were flying down 4 days later, put their gear in their staterooms...

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
I encourage others to take photos of each room on other boats to share on this site, similiar to what I have posted here

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Some of that video looks like the RR3 layout. I think whatever boat you ride, one thing for sure, you just get spoiled for anything else.

Reactions: Steve K

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
Some of that video looks like the RR3 layout. I think whatever boat you ride, one thing for sure, you just get spoiled for anything else.
Hi Bill , yes the RP is very similar to the Rooster.
The Rooster is about 10 feet smaller and 3 feet narrower- but its layed out the same:
wasted seating area behind the bait tanks(my opinion), Galley on starboard side. Similar up stairs. the one table in the cabin on the starboard side and the long table/seating area in the front of the galley
with the major exception that the Rooster doesnt have any heads downstairs-

here is a walk through I did on the RR3-
but for whatever reason I lost my footage of the cabins below deck and i did this before the rocket launcher was installed top deck.
they are all cool boats in theire own way. I know you have been on the rooster like a million times. I am going to post something funny I found on you tube yesterday shortly

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Nice Andre... the upper deck rod rack on the middle island does have a flaw. (Not shown) In bumpy seas the rod butts roll around and catch on the tube ends. I suggest some padding, like a cup or a rag for cushioning. Also last year Andy installed really nice rod holder base that allows the fire hose to store under the rods. Every year something new... For those going on the Rooster, check out the boat rod holders I made on the upper deck. Will bring them down Wed....

Reactions: vegasandre

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
I been look at a 8 Day on the Famous RP , but need some help trying
to Find their Stateroom Lay Out, any help form
the Guys that have Fished on her in the Past would be Great
thanks.
Talk to the secretary at the office and ask what's a avalaible to you ands it location. There's a state room on the starboard Aft ,next to engine room bulkhead very noisy. Forgot the stateroom number.

Otis2527

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 23, 2014
Name
Matt
Boat
Excel
Really? Now, Maybe its not the Indy (the best layed out and updated boat in the fleet) but of the 9 or ten LR boats its probably #4 just ahead of the RR3 (based on the boat layout/condition only and not the operation)

I found the boat comfortable on my recent 8 day and was in cabin 13 midships port side and it was good. Liked the bathroom downstairs.
Bathrooms upstairs were updated and nice. Galley /cabin area was nice too.
My only major complaint(boat layout) is the lack of rocket launchers /tackle storage area in the stern (despite the huge space there) which translated into many different tackle box alterations and customizations that you may not see on other boats and it littered the back- forward of the bait tanks. But even with that tackle box show- there was still a ton of room. Even with the 33 anglers we had.

Captain Roy is up there with ,and may be- the best. I really mean that .

Anyway fwiw I am going on 18 day in Feb on the boat and will report back how it felt with 24 or so.
That whole tackle box/ rods on tackle boxes on the deck is a mess. Its been awhile since I have fished the RP but I really dont like that situation.

Reactions: Steve K

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
From the sum of the replies, it seems that the RP is famous for AC problems, ripe smelling heads, staterooms with bunks filled with canned beverage storage, noisy stuffy damp...

Last edited:

dtf

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 16, 2004
So. Bay Ca
Name
David
Boat
22ft, Pursuit
Was also famous for ice maker that didn't work in a swell but I believed that's been fixed/replaced

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
That whole tackle box/ rods on tackle boxes on the deck is a mess. Its been awhile since I have fished the RP but I really dont like that situation.
And, it does look like there's just not enough room for tackle boxes. Boxes all over the deck, no thanks! To me, the use of all those rocket launchers is a joke, especially in view of the fact that there are so many empty rod holder spots on the sides of the house.

vegasandre

Aug 20, 2010
San Diego
Name
Andre
Boat
And, it does look like there's just not enough room for tackle boxes. Boxes all over the deck, no thanks! To me, the use of all those rocket launchers is a joke, especially in view of the fact that there are so many empty rod holder spots on the sides of the house.
The lack of an adequate tackle center and rocket launcher is the biggest problem the boat has . Pretty much only 3 boats have really adequate tackle areas. I also do not like the tackle box on deck deal . I mean then where do I put my folding chair?

The rest of the boat is good. not great but good. it rates #4 out the ten boats as far as overall layout on my little list. I am not going to get into a list thing but the top three as far as layout:
Indy -by a mile
Excel
Intrepid

The Rp exceeded my expectations when I hesitantly fished it this year (Guadalupe or bust)

Last edited:

bstevens

Aug 4, 2006
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
23' Aluminum Hull

Went to Clipperton on a 23 day in stateroom 2, I was in heaven and there is no longer a stateroom 1 because the AC unit is there