Kman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
I fished on Steve’s Rocket Sled today. We usually start fishing in the dark and I thought it would be cool to try glow in the dark swimbaits. So I poured some and took them along. Man did they produce. Not only did they catch the big bass of the day (7#) they caught probably 15 sculpin, a red, a tree fish and a copper—which makes me wonder how they will do on the rockfish grounds. They worked well into the morning hours—even after the sun came up. I see they make glow powder paint. Maybe it’s worth making glow leadheads to go with the baits.

We bounced from rock to rock till we found worms (suspended fish) and dropped double trouble rigs on them, usually getting bit on the drop. Man that is so cool! We each had doubles going pretty often. I even caught three at once on a double trouble rig. Fish were big today, and this showed a limitation of the double trouble rig: namely that fish would pull against each other until one would break one of the two 15# fluoro leaders. I had at least 5 break offs today—and one break off was a TOAD. Need to consider going to 20# for my leaders.

We finished at the shoe 12:30-1 ish with 93 fish on the clicker. Water temp was 63-66 degrees and the drift was downhill. Kman Specials caught the lion’s share with glow getting big fish honors and maybe accounting for 25 fish. Clown heads got bit really well too—and accounted for nearly all of the break offs on the double hookups. Most of our bites were on the drop today. Our favorite way.

Anyways, we didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed. It was a great half day on the water with a good bud.

F478AF5A-5188-4189-ACD2-DBEA0399FB70.jpeg

59386599-1166-4A99-AB94-6CEB45F3436A.jpeg

FCF5161A-9915-4638-A280-89DAF3486A2B.jpeg

E242513A-3057-4C08-AE5F-0911327A6865.jpeg

B1DCCE85-DD03-46E9-A7EB-03D4440080B8.jpeg

5B273A83-1948-4BF9-94D3-46F57506D532.jpeg

Last edited:

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Nice Kurt! What sort of radioactive source do you go to in order to make those glow in the darks?

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
Awesome! Big Fish time o' the year now! i never fish less than 30lb and generally use 40lb just for the abrasion resistance where we go. the 40 will come back shredded, but i rarely lose fish to structure!

the bites are all "Reaction Bites" and THEY AIN'T LINE SHY!

Ya, I bring a .50 Cal to a knife fight!:Death_To_Above:
... i got no shame!:bath:

Bradyxxx

Sep 21, 2014
San Diego
Name
Braden
Boat
Catchalot
Man, that sounds like a really Fun day right there!
Nice going!

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
fun times once again! i’m going to call the glow... Chernobyl

grateful that the weather cooperated unlike yesterday.

watersdeep

Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
When I'm fishing for meat, rockfish, dabs, whitefish and the like then double trouble all the way.
But when bass fishing I prefer it to be me against one bass. I don't want them canceling each other out and possibly knocking each other off.
If you're doing some kind of RnD
Well ok I guess.
Seems like a goofy way to bass fish.

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
Anaheim, CA
Name
Jim Isbell
Boat
19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
I fished on Steve’s Rocket Sled today. We usually start fishing in the dark and I thought it would be cool to try glow in the dark swimbaits. So I poured some and took them along. Man did they produce. Not only did they catch the big bass of the day (7#) they caught probably 15 sculpin, a red, a tree fish and a copper—which makes me wonder how they will do on the rockfish grounds. They worked well into the morning hours—even after the sun came up. I see they make glow powder paint. Maybe it’s worth making glow leadheads to go with the baits.

We bounced from rock to rock till we found worms (suspended fish) and dropped double trouble rigs on them, usually getting bit on the drop. Man that is so cool! We each had doubles going pretty often. I even caught three at once on a double trouble rig. Fish were big today, and this showed a limitation of the double trouble rig: namely that fish would pull against each other until one would break one of the two 15# fluoro leaders. I had at least 5 break offs today—and one break off was a TOAD. Need to consider going to 20# for my leaders.

We finished at the shoe 12:30-1 ish with 93 fish on the clicker. Water temp was 63-66 degrees and the drift was downhill. Kman Specials caught the lion’s share with glow getting big fish honors and maybe accounting for 25 fish. Clown heads got bit really well too—and accounted for nearly all of the break offs on the double hookups. Most of our bites were on the drop today. Our favorite way.

Anyways, we didn’t sink the boat or get arrested or towed. It was a great half day on the water with a good bud.

View attachment 1182650

View attachment 1182651

View attachment 1182652

View attachment 1182653

View attachment 1182654

View attachment 1182655
I like the way you put that "didn't get arrested". We were going to go over the wknd, then we sorted how long it has been since we went, so decided to wait until we went to the DFW and got the latest on marine closures, regs and what not, "getting arrested" just doesn't seem that odd a chance anymore. I really wish I had a simple card for my chart plotter that shows, exactly where each and every closure is--and can be updated on line.
Good day on the water, thanks for posting.

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Way to ,go guys, some spectacular fishing there!