Offshore 8/9/22 The ocean is loaded

rodngun762

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 12, 2005
Name
Boat Name
OK going back to Monday 8/8 caught this 96 lb fish a few miles off the beach on Yozuri BONITA. 17 mph... have never trolled a lure that fast in my life, felt weird.

IMG_4022.JPG

Tuesday I want to talk about. Did a half day look around trying to catch a dorado. Saw dorado on kelps as close as 3 miles from shore. The fish on kelps were skittish didn't want to eat live sardines. One of the kelps at 7 miles we had the drone up looking for the dorado on the kelp. Then a marlin comes in the frame and sort of spooks the dorado. Then the dorado follow the marlin. Wow, cool! Saw greyhounding dorado everywhere. Finally got one dorado off these open water schools. Saw a swordfish too, put the Bear Flag II on it! About 130pm the tuna start to pop and boil 2-6 miles off but I don't need any more of those.

Fish count for the day: 1 Dorado

Fish SIGHTINGS: 250+ dorado, 1 marlin, 1 swordfish, 250+ bluefin tuna. This is all within a 10 mile radius of Newport Beach, that's why I am making this report. 1 to 5 years from now we will look back during the next La Nina event and remember how good we had it...because before 2015 I never saw anything like we are seeing now.

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat Name
31' Cabo Express
Awesome video Ryan.

The amount of fish out there right now is insane. Tuesday I was casting to foamers from my bow pulpit and looked down to see 200 pound fish just swimming directly under me ….and then pop up on bait 5 feet off my transom. With so much fish spread out everywhere it is seriously hard to pick what direction I want to run to out of the harbor.

It’s crazy, and I’m not really even thinking about all this dorado. I’m not sure there has ever been this many mahi in our local waters.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat Name
    the twisted ducker
    If that don't put an ear to ear grin on you face you need meds.

SICKNESS!!!

Reactions: rodngun762
    Upvote 0
    Jul 14, 2014
    Name
    nickc5
    Boat Name
    Diversion
    OK going back to Monday 8/8 caught this 96 lb fish a few miles off the beach on Yozuri BONITA. 17 mph... have never trolled a lure that fast in my life, felt weird.

View attachment 1412271

Tuesday I want to talk about. Did a half day look around trying to catch a dorado. Saw dorado on kelps as close as 3 miles from shore. The fish on kelps were skittish didn't want to eat live sardines. One of the kelps at 7 miles we had the drone up looking for the dorado on the kelp. Then a marlin comes in the frame and sort of spooks the dorado. Then the dorado follow the marlin. Wow, cool! Saw greyhounding dorado everywhere. Finally got one dorado off these open water schools. Saw a swordfish too, put the Bear Flag II on it! About 130pm the tuna start to pop and boil 2-6 miles off but I don't need any more of those.

Fish SIGHTINGS: 250+ dorado, 1 marlin, 1 swordfish, 250+ bluefin tuna. This is all within a 10 mile radius of Newport Beach, that's why I am making this report. 1 to 5 years from now we will look back during the next La Nina event and remember how good we had it...because before 2015 I never saw anything like we are seeing now.

Bro.. This footage is amazing. Mind if I share it?

Upvote 0

tunacraze

• Nov 27, 2006
    Santee
    Name
    Steve Brunton
    Boat Name
    The Big Ones

View attachment 1412271

I'm sure whatever boat stuck that sword would like that footage! Was that Pilikia? Awesome footage!

Reactions: rodngun762
    Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat Name
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO

View attachment 1412271

What color BONITA were you pulling?

Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    1660244483225.png

Looks like a microscope image of sperm . . . :rofl: