Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
Short: Hit a little south east of the hidden, pointed towards the banda bank and went a few miles to get inside where the temp break was but started getting colder, pointed back at the knuckle, and found porpoise but they didn't produce. Pulled and ran up outside the 425 where water was clean and 70.5 found patties mostly no one home with the exception of 2 dorado that didn't want to go. Ran up to the lower 9 and found porpoise just on the edge of US waters and chased them around for nothing.

Long: Started off at Grey light a little south of the hidden as I knew there was a temp break down there and I got some intel from friends that there were kelps, clean water, bait, and some yellowtail. I knew the tuna had been off their game, and with the wind, I decided it would be better to stay inside and try to get less beat up to try and find some kelps to produce something. At sunrise, we were in 68.5 but moved to the inside a little more by pointing south east towards the temp break. Got up to 70.1. Started working the area. Found porpoise that were talking, trolled em, and brailed bait in front of them for nada. Kept working the area for a little, but was a desert, so we pulled the jigs and pointed towards the 302.

On that line, we started to meter 71.5 and started seeing helps outside of the 425. Most kelps were dry. One had 2 dodo that didn't want to go. Also I'd like to not there were a ton of saitners pulling pens on the outside of the canyon. Not sure if they were full or what, but could be they wrapped some of the fish up. Not sure where the quota sits for them for yellowfin. At the top of the canyon, water started getting green and cold like 67 so pointed back towards the lower 9 and ran.

At the lower 9 just in US waters we found some propose talking, ran ahead of them dumped a ton of bait, casted poppers/colt snipers/and trolled them. Nothing. We covered a lot of water, did everything we know how to do, couldn't find anything willing to play. I'm staying tied up or fishing with friends north of Catalina for the next 2 weeks.

PS: Commentary on Season
For those watching La Nina percentage change is 40% so I think the season is just seeing a bit of a lull personally, and things will be better soon. We need a storm to push up some waters, new batch of fish and some beating sun to heat everything so new fish move into our zone.

Lastly, with everyone commenting that the bigger grade bluefin moved up north, I'd like to point out that there were bluefin off of monterey a few years ago. Seeing this report, and if they are like the bluefin we have down here, they have the capability to gain around 50lbs per year. So my logic is likely they are a different school and now they are just older and bigger as the general bluefin population rebounds. Thoughts?

Reference here for past bluefin up north.

thrasher949

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 18, 2010
San Clemente, CA
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 23
I think the La Nina percentage is gonna tick up... The NW winds haven't quit all summer, water temps haven't really gotten over 72 for any period of time. ALL the tropical energy has never gained any strength. As far as the current shitty fishing the last few days, I agree its just a lull period. I don't think the tuna season will extend far into November like the last few years. I do think the La Nina will happen, maybe just a real mild one. Look at the wind charts, the trend has not changed all season.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Winterize your boats everyone ! Fishing sucks this week . Must be over for good . Says someone who knows jack squat .

Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
@1 Ola Mas good looking out. Hope it blows harder to push up some good fun.

@Predatormonster just because it sucked one day doesn't mean it will the next. Click baity title for sure. To be clear I'm not saying winterize your boat. Everyone knows it was slow, but I personally anticipate that it will change soon. When friends key you in that a 3 day sport boat report comes with no bites for 3 days, might be a good idea to chill for a hot minute, not winterize your boat. It's basically peak season so that would just be amatuer. No one here is telling anyone what to do. You are all adults and can make your own choices :)

Reactions: Predatormonster

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
@1 Ola Mas good looking out. Hope it blows harder to push up some good fun.

@Predatormonster just because it sucked one day doesn't mean it will the next. Click baity title for sure. To be clear I'm not saying winterize your boat. Everyone knows it was slow, but I personally anticipate that it will change soon. When friends key you in that a 3 day sport boat report comes with no bites for 3 days, might be a good idea to chill for a hot minute, not winterize your boat. It's basically peak season so that would just be amatuer. No one here is telling anyone what to do. You are all adults and can make your own choices :)
I know what you were saying pretty clearly . I was referring to myself as the one knowing jack squat . Nobody knows whats next but its probably a rebound soon . Based on previous seasons . Which mean nothing .Your post is legit . I find some of the comments funny . Everyone is a marine biologist these days .

Reactions: Whiskey Line

Whiskey Line

Respect the craft.
Jul 6, 2012
San Diego
Name
Daniel
Boat
Game On
@Predatormonster got you. Thanks for the clarification. All good. Just hoping this weather pushes up some fish so I don't have to run 85 miles out of SD to get some fish.

Good luck to you guys.