8/8/21

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Did some work on the boat Saturday, all good to go. Sunday morning Greg and I pushed off early enough to get some bait, we did. Ran out to just outside the 300, heading towards S. Make a couple laps around S just because we could, then stay on a 210 heading, just outside the 1000 the stbd rigger lets goes, never bends the rod. Get down from the tower, Greg is at the wheel, see the rod tip bounce, give the reel a few cranks, put it in free spool (thumbing the spool) feel the fish grab it give him a few more seconds and then nirvana...

Clear the other lines, get the belt and harness on, we saw the fish right when we hooked him, knew it wasn't a biggen. He was stubborn, for his size, stayed down deep diggen hard for a while. Interesting probably 20 minutes in, I just felt him give up, and he did. Got him close took off the gear, I leadered Greg gaffed and in the boat.
oldman.jpg

Old Man
marlinlure 8821.jpg

Get set back up, my slip neighbor is out as well, he texts and says he has the porpoise, we'll go look for sure, me lovey the "puka heads". On the way there run across some piles, interesting my slip neighbor, had said he hadn't seen any piles on his way thru? Get to where he is at, stay with them for a while, then see some fish bustin a 1/4-1/2 mile away (no birds). Just as we get thru them the the stbd corner takes off (Makairas have at least a third as many indentations in the clicker plate), let me tell you that will get your attention. dumps 100 yds, we clear some lines and comes off, forensics are not obvious, no bill chafing on the leader.

Decide to head down south, on the way there pass some pile, half of them without birds, just akus bustin. Probably an hour, maybe an hour and a half later see some birds, a couple whites as well. as I get there the whites sit down, then see an ahi air out!!! Oh boy... Made laps through the area, expanded the search grid, maybe another hour later, see probably a half a dozen critters crashin' the surface, some airing out, talking with my slip neighbor on the phone when the stbd rigger goes, sorry gotta hang up now.

She does all the right stuff, blistering run, slows another run, all the while clearing rods, readying the playing field, just as I pick the rod up to put it in the harness she makes another run and comes off SOB. There was a ton of life out there Sunday, sorry it wasn't as active on Saturday for the tournament. Til next time...
lures8821.jpg

JSI kinda day...
top marlin/mid most likely ahi/bottom bite in birdless pile

Cheers
Pat

ahi lawaia

Jan 17, 2008
Hawaii
Name
CP
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 21
Nice to see you getting out and getting bit, Pat. Gives the rest of us some hope and incentive to get out too. Too bad just the marlin stuck but lots of action. You and Kai Nana are too good; you'll gettum next time.

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Pat and Greg, looks like the perfect size long nose. Good to see you with the gear on.
Thanks Darren, it was fun to don the gear and get to use it.
GREAT REPORT info, pics. NICE FISH. Solid work guys! LOL
Thanks
Nice to see you getting out and getting bit, Pat. Gives the rest of us some hope and incentive to get out too. Too bad just the marlin stuck but lots of action. You and Kai Nana are too good; you'll gettum next time.
Thanks Courtland, hope to see ya out there.

Cheers
Pat

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Pat and Greg, congrats on the long nose! I definitely would be happy with that catch!! Lol. Hard luck with the yellow ones that didn‘t stick! Main thing you got the strikes. At least you were in the right area!

Upvote 0

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Good job on the marlin Pat. Hopefully the yellow guys stay hooked next time.
Thanks Chuck, yep, especially now when the season is winding down, the last thing you want is to miss one.
Pat and Greg, congrats on the long nose! I definitely would be happy with that catch!! Lol. Hard luck with the yellow ones that didn‘t stick! Main thing you got the strikes. At least you were in the right area!
Thanks Russ, it almost sounds like an every other day kinda thing; supposedly it was pretty good on Tuesday, not so much yesterday (Wednesday), though I did see a couple fish did get caught.

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0