Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Fished with Jason, Weasel and Tom on the Jihad out west. We fished smack dab between the 226 and the "Corner".

Got a GREAT load of 6" Sardines that were fresh outta the bait boat but they held up ALL day and we crammed 4 scoops into our 100 gallon tank. It was bait bliss.

Same story as weeks past. Saw a couple birds picking in the gyros. Changed course to check them out. Get close and a little tiny foamer erupts and sinks out. I tell Jason to throw some chum while we are trolling and he already has it going. Blow ups in the wake and it went dumb again. We dumped a TON of chum and they stuck like glue.

We landed 12 on that stop before it petered out. Of course we called in Saluki on the mega yacht "No Zilla" and just as he showed up it shut down. Handed Brandon some dines and went looking again.

We started below the fleet and moved up and outside of them. The Excel was in there fishing and there was more than a dozen boats in his chumline and maybe another dozen within 200 yards of him. If you guys see a sporty in the area GIVE HIM SOME ROOM. Floating in his chum line isn't going to help anyone catch fish. Stay at least 100 yards away and to one side or the other of the big boats.

Anyway, we moved a couple/three miles and found another little bird spot in the glasses. As we are about a quarter mile away Tom say look left! There were little yft lazily jumping and feeding on the surface. Really slow mo and lazy. Same drill, Jason poured out several scoops of bait and they came charging. Insta-quad hook up on bait fish. We quickly limited out and called in some buddies. We must have released another dozen fish after that. Just awesome bait fishing.

One good thing was these fish were larger than weeks past. We had about a 16-18# average and many over 20. A couple pushing 30# and one right at 40# (on the lightest rod and leader of course).

A few tips:

1. Trolling sucks - we have been running from spot to spot looking for life, shearwaters and terns. Once you find the life slow down and start looking/glassing hard. When you see terns flashing/diving head towards it. If you see the boils or fish, go 150 feet ahead of it and stop. Throw a couple good nets of bait and then steady ones and twos of popeyes. This will bring them to the boat.

2. Bait - Get as much as you can hold. This turns those 1-2 fish stops into 10-20 fish. Dump a lot of bait at first and then hold them around with a steady chum line.

3. Don't be a dick - If guys are hooked up or fishing a kelp, give them some room. If you want to share a kelp or bite get on 72 and ask for permission.

Another EPIC day of close to home fishing. Back at it in the AM.

Viva El Nino!

P1000821.JPG

P1000819.JPG

P1000804.JPG

P1000805.JPG

P1000787.JPG

P1000782.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Absolutely SICK!!! Way to crush em!!! Thanks for the great pointers.

Upvote 0

sdfishkiller

Cod Smuggler
Mar 13, 2005
Point Loma
Name
Todd Victor Mora
Boat
19' Whaler: EL SUPER LIZARDFISH
Will you sponsor me for a pair of gyros?

Reactions: Lucky B
Upvote 0

sushimaster

Paddy Spotter
Sep 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Scott
Boat
I Wish... Ho with Dough
Ep-sic !!! Slayed it. Talkin crime scene!! Sounds like you guys know etiquette and exactly what to do out there !! Awesome!! Message me if you need someone to help pay for bait and fuel!!! Outstanding. That's how it is done folks

Upvote 0

bajaandy

Condition One
Jun 13, 2008
Escondido
Name
Andy
Boat
Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
You guys killed it! We stopped a few miles inside of you and didn't get the same volume. Nicely done.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Great report Ali

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
Great report Ali, and way to slay em with Jason and motley crew...LOL LOL
Nice load of fish...way to go!

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Nice! Water conditions look awesome in Lake Pacific, hope it holds just a bit longer....:D

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I'm taking all bass gear tomorrow. LOL

go ahead and school me, you fukin tuna........ :D

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Good tips!
This year is going to be a record breaker for sure.Im not coming home tomorrow without limits...again.

Upvote 0

Latest posts