8/31 Catalina YT and Disrespectful sportboat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 2, 2014
Name
throw
Boat
away
1st the Pursuit Sportfishing captain and crew is the most disrespectful boat I have ever seen or dealt with on the waters. story in the report.

Report:

launched out of LB at 8am heading to catalina. Water was a bit choppy and some 2-4ft swells along the way.

The ride out we passed by many many nice size patty's, no body home, water 71 degrees mid channel.
Reached the west end a bit past 9am saw many birds working the area. There were maybe 4-5 private boaters anchored. I dropped my trollers and started working a stretch of water maybe 1/4 mile long path between 2 boats, these 2 boats were spaced about 75 yards apart ( hard to tell when on the water). More than enough room for me to pass by between the boats without tangling their lanes and giving them space to fish. First pass through, i thought i stuck a kelp and upon grabbing the rod, i realize i'm hooked up. Bring the fish to boat and a nice size yt, maybe 10 pounds. Reset my lines and i'm back in the water, make a turn and start trolling back, i'm on again, this time bonito. I make a few more passes and have picked up fish almost every pass, a few more bonito and one more YT.

I then notice the Pursuit pullup watching the private boaters etc, since most of the private boaters are hooked up, he decides to park his boat right between the 2 private boaters, maybe 10 yards from one private boat and 45 from the other. Great, he's been watching me hook up a few fish and now anchors where i've been going back and forth. So i troll back but now my lane is a little tighter. I'm maybe 20 yards from the pursuit and 25 yards from the other private boater. I dont want to get too close to the private boater since he was there when i got there and when i pass the Pursuit, the deckhand waves to me, so i wave back. I double take and see that the deckhand actually was giving me the finger.

That deckhand has some nerve, to park on top of me, and then give me the finger? What?

I pass by and get picked up on another bonito, so i bring that in and turned around and start trolling back. This time, the captain who is standing on top of the boat also gives me the finger. I guess he thinks he owns the ocean and when he arrives last to the party, he should get priority? I give him the finger back. I guess me giving him the finger back pissed him off and he starts making threatening gestures like he wants to fight me. Throwing air punches lol. I pass the pursuit and turn around to troll back, this time i get my camera phone out and as I pass I take a video of it. I get him giving me the finger again.

Here is the video:

In the video he gives me the finger and i stopped recording, but i should have kept recording since the captain ran to the front of the boat throwing air punches like he wants to fight me lol. Not the smartest captain. The captain thinks just because his passengers can't see him (he;s on 2nd deck) he can act like a high school punk to other private boaters. (at the end of the video, you can see how close he is to the other boat)

Anyways, the lane is now dead and the fish moved on after the pursuit squashed the bite. Some of the other private boaters pull anchor and also leave. I stopped to bait for a bit as the rest of the people i'm with wanted to get some sheephead.

The water warmed to about 73 and around 3pm, we called it and headed back to LB. The ride back was really nice and smooth, not much wind. A lot of large barn sized kelps all holding good baitfish. Looking forward to seeing those kelps down south in the upcoming weeks.

I have never seen a captain act that way and i will NEVER fish the pursuit and hope others here avoid that boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: TadyHawK

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
May 29, 2005
Sd/Oc
Name
danny
Boat
Hall pass
If there were two boats on the anchor u should not troll thru them. That was plain rude. 75 yards is not much room. Good job killing sum before the pursuit fucked it up for all 3 of u guys.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
I thought you trolling between the pb's was too close. He (Pursuit) then did a dick move and took your lane. We all have been poached by sportboats at one time or another. Just move on ,troll wider or stay pissed, the choice is yours.

Reactions: badpetedave
Sep 2, 2014
Name
throw
Boat
away
If there were two boats on the anchor u should not troll thru them. That was plain rude. 75 yards is not much room. Good job killing sum before the pursuit fucked it up for all 3 of u guys.
thanks for the feedback... it wasn't my boat, i was just a passenger, but will keep that in mind next time and leave more room

Sep 2, 2014
Name
throw
Boat
away
I thought you trolling between the pb's was too close. He (Pursuit) then did a dick move and took your lane. We all have been poached by sportboats at one time or another. Just move on ,troll wider or stay pissed, the choice is yours.
it was dick for the pursuit to take my lane, but i was ok with sharing it, just would be trolling closer to the pursuit, i even waved at them a hello the first pass. but that wasn;t enough for the pursuit, he wanted me to leave.

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
A great posting! So stay off that boat. Most sport captains will find there own fish. Clearly this one lacked skill and common courtesy. Maybe enough postings like this will see a drop in the client count and help them behave a little better.

Reactions: Paul Ward

Blackfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
You both were in the wrong.
You should have left the PB's alone, and given them much more room.
Never troll between boats that are on the hook. Just common courtesy.
The Pursuit was in the wrong too and acted in a unprofessional way. . But sometimes, you can use their intrusion to your favor, by using their ability to chum. They have done this to me at Cat a few times. Just got to go with it, or move. I figure, if they drop in next to me, they must see something on the meter, so i must be in a good spot.

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
75 yards = 225 feet between the 2 anchored boats. If you were exactly centered between them you were 112.5 feet away. Too close. No excuse for the party boat captain though.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
1. Never go to Las Vegas on a 3 day weekend

2. Never go to Disneyland or any other place that'll be at capacity on a 3 day weekend.

3. Never go local offshore fishing on a 3 day weekend, especially when the bite has been hot.

If you do go to any of these places, expect it to be assholes to elbows, with assholes outnumbering the elbows 10 to 1.

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Whoever was driving the skiff you were on was a donkey. Learn to drop your anchor.

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I'm going to be blunt, you sir are the clueless one. Why on earth were you trolling between two anchored boats? Why wouldn't you simply anchor up like the rest of the boats? They were clearly catching fish. Do you have an anchor? If this were a tuna bite, you would have been lit up by every boat in the area. The fact that you told your story on Bloody Decks confirms you have no idea what you are doing. Honestly, I cannot believe this to be a true story...no one can be this naive. Or can they???

Reactions: landslide

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
What if....what if you thought he was scoping out the PB'ers....but what really happened was...he can't take the burning and itching any more so he pulls the throttles and bow-legs it to the head where some 10 year old girl passenger ready to barf swings the door open on him while he's putting the fire out with a fresh Preperation H suppository. He hits himself with the wash-down hose and jumps back in behind the wheel. You're out of the picture trolling so he moves in and sets up. You come back right about the time the "H" slips out. :D

WhyMe

Talk shit... Get hit :)
May 12, 2009
San Bernardino California
Name
Jason
Boat
Mako CC
Sucks that happened to you. You can argue both sides as to who is right or wrong.

From a business stand point... The crew is a direct reflection of the Captain and Landing. What if there were people on the boat that who observed what you described as giving you the finger or throwing air punches. I wouldn't want people working for me who do that. It's just bad for business. Just my $0.02

Sep 2, 2014
Name
throw
Boat
away
Sucks that happened to you. You can argue both sides as to who is right or wrong.

From a business stand point... The crew is a direct reflection of the Captain and Landing. What if there were people on the boat that who observed what you described as giving you the finger or throwing air punches. I wouldn't want people working for me who do that. It's just bad for business. Just my $0.02
it was the captain throwing the punches and finger... well the crew gave me the finger too haha... its bad for business... man, i'd take a punch from the captain just so that he'd lose his business....

Assalt Weapon

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2004
CA
Name
Bryan
Boat
Glacier Bay 2240SX
Regardless if you agree with the OP on his tactics..

Sport boat captains have splashed me with there anchors before... While i was drifting..

I put huge stereo system, with big ass subwoofer on my boats...

When the sport boats pull that shit on me... The get to listen to my music, while i am scaring all the fish away...

Trust me.. Alot of the San diego sport boats have been blassted...

AC/DC Hells Bells at full volume really piss,s them off...
Metallica
Or some hard core rap...

My striper had a 750watt amp for the subwoofer alone...

Back in the good old days, we used seal bombs... Havent been able to buy them for many years..

Last edited:

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I just realized you joined today and this was your first post! I really hope you learned some things by what was said. We're all ignorant in the beginning and that's how we learn. I will say that if you fish often enough, this will not be your first encounter with a sportie. Some are cool, others are not. Keep your distance and you should be fine. Good luck out there and keep the reports coming.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
+ Quoted
Do you know what the bloody decks salute is? I think the deck hand is a member

Status
Not open for further replies.