sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
And to elaborate a bit more on this trip
It was one of the best half day trips I have ever had but that is a personal opinion
It was also the most pressure I have ever seen on fish ( except for some squid beads) as well with about 1 to 2 dozen seals surrounding the boat and a handful of private boats
It got out of hand out there and that is why I am posting this info now
Anyway we were fishing in an area where the yellow tail would come out to a bank where there was almost no structure for them.
This resulted in hooking some big inshore yellow tail and being able to land them on lite line.
I got a 30 plus pounder on a 25 lb mono leader on a avet sxj and a 10 foot 30 pound Phenix black diamond rod, and wow what a good fight that was.
Normally I would not fish this lite of line for inshore yellow tail but that is why you should listen to the crew. And several other people got even bigger ones ( 40 plus pounds) with 20 pound
As long as you had your drag set right
you could get them to the boat
As long as you actually got your bait to go past all the seals and birds, get a bite, then bring in your fish past all the seals and other anglers lines. Then it was yours
So not too bad
But I have to say it was well worth it
So get out there and give it a shot
7682E813-DB45-457F-BC14-0C69C03BF232.jpeg

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

Tin Pangas

Skipper
Aug 28, 2010
Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
Name
Kevin
Boat
37 Tollycraft
It was one of the best half day trips I have ever had but that is a personal opinion
It was also the most pressure I have ever seen on fish ( except for some squid beads) as well with about 1 to 2 dozen seals surrounding the boat and a handful of private boats
Anyway we were fishing in an area where the yellow tail would come out to a bank where there was almost no structure for them.
This resulted in hooking some big inshore yellow tail and being able to land them on lite line.
I got a 30 plus pounder on a 25 lb mono leader on a avet sxj and a 10 foot 30 pound Phenix black diamond rod, and wow what a good fight that was.
Normally I would not fish this lite of line for inshore yellow tail but that is why you should listen to the crew. And several other people got even bigger ones ( 40 plus pounds) with 20 pound
As long as you actually got your bait to go past all the seals and birds, get a bite, then bring in your fish past all the seals and other anglers lines. Then it was yours
So not too bad
View attachment 997677

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
And when I got the fish on the boat and got the hook out this is what it looked this
D234FC80-2FFB-4B9C-A8D5-9707C8382C2F.jpeg

It should look more like this
18D85CFC-A734-4580-8688-CFE798DBDF0E.jpeg

So I was very lucky to land this fish

Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
So not too bad
View attachment 997677
My reply is only because I've thought yellows look and weigh much more than they actually are. With that being said, That's a very nice fish...But, unless you are 8 feet tall, that's probably no where near 30 lbs and probably not even in the 20's.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
My reply is only because I've thought yellows look and weigh much more than they actually are. With that being said, That's a very nice fish...But, unless you are 8 feet tall, that's probably no where near 30 lbs and probably not even in the 20's.

that fish isn't even 20LBS sorry to say

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
san diego
Name
nick
Boat
n/a
Well call it what you want
I did not get any photos of the big yellow tail( I was fishing)
But here are some other fish that were brought in that day
0E7EEEAC-0B9F-41E0-8295-2EDFB9EC7CB4.jpeg

72A87320-9F22-438D-9AC5-64705DEE9B73.jpeg

Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
And when I got the fish on the boat and got the hook out this is what it looked this
View attachment 998469
View attachment 998468
Once again, congrats on the yellow, but Bro...you may need to fish a different brand of hooks. I use old fashion mustads and NEVER had a hook straightened out on a local yellow. Not sure you need ringed hooks either?

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
View attachment 998469
View attachment 998468

Those look like Owner MUTU Light....
Not ideal hooks for those homeguards...
I love ringed hooks, I use the regular J hook ringed Flyliners or the ringed Gorrillas.

Never had one straighten out...

In my opinion those light wire Mutu's are perfect for bottom fish, bass etc..

Upvote 0