8/24 New Seaforth AM & PM half day

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by GOTTEM, Aug 24, 2017.

1. GOTTEM

GOTTEM Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hoppped on an AM half day trip out of seaforth landing after seeing the insane counts. Once we arrived at seaforth landing at 6:00am the boat promptly left at 6:30. We were greeted with beautiful bait-cured sardines (5-7 inches) & mackerel.

AM Trip-
    We arrived at a local spot just approx 30 min from the harbor. The stop ended up producing so much fish that we didn't even move the entire trip! A mixture of bonito, barracudas, & smaller grade yellowtail all rushed the boat. It was an easy limit (5) for the whole boat on the tiny fire crackers. The only nicer grade yellow which ended up being the jackpot fish was caught on a dropper loop right on the bottom. Overall a fun morning session with good company; the boat was extremely packed (60ish anglers) but we all worked together to minimize tangles. The trip was so good that my friend dragged me into going onto the PM half day too LOL.

PM Trip-
    Boat promptly left at 1230, and we were off again! The captain wanted to avoid the morning spot as it was extremely crowded, by trying to find our own fish. After couple spots we called it quits and anchored up along with the other boats in the rough vicinity of the AM trip's location. The boat was rushed by bonito, calicos, sand bass, etc; however the yellows didn't seem to want to bite. Finally on our last stop, we were able to connect with some nicer grade yellows (15-20lbs).

What worked-
    -15-50lb leaders
    -flylined sardines (nose or butt hook)
    -dropper loop (best way to target the bigger yellows)
    -irons (coupe quality fish caught on the iron in the dorado color)

Overall:
    Great to be on the water. Unfortunately, the yellows were definitely quantity over quality. For a half day trip catching limits of yellows, I really can't complain!

Tight lines

IMG_2126.PNG

2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Sounds like a fun day and hot bite! Fun doubling up on 1/2 day trips when the fishing is that good!

GOTTEM likes this.
  3. Jigslinger

Jigslinger Fishing is an incurable disease

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    Nice! I was planning on going the PM trip today but got caught up and couldn't make. Looks like missed an awesome bite.

4. MarktheShark56

MarktheShark56 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    Skipjack 22
    So.....you caught TWO limits in one day?

5. GOTTEM

GOTTEM Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    N/A
    I'm flattered that you assume I am that great of a fisherman to limit out BOTH times LOL. But to answer your question no. No where in the report did I say I kept two limits. I kept my morning limit and gave away my afternoon fish to less fortunate fishermen.

C-4 Fishing and cortezpirasea like this.
  6. RiceEater

RiceEater Member

Name:
    Shed
    Boat:
    n/a
    I may try my luck out on the Daily Double for a 1/2 day AM trip this weekend, depending on the number of open spots.

7. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    Yellowtail limit in Ca. is 10 fish - only 5 can be retained less than 24" length...