Offshore 8/23-8/25 success in the bottom of the 9th

darrenforeal

Say no to bad info
  • Jun 24, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Darren
    Left at 11am on Tuesday the 23rd. Game plan was to cruise out the the NW end of Clemente going about 6 knots and fish kelps on the way out . We planned to get to the night bite zone in Clemente around 11pm. Then hit north of the 499 at grey light.
    image8.jpeg

Saw lots of foamers on small BFT on the North end of the 9 o nthe way out but didn't put any effort into it because we were in search of bigger fish. It was very fishy with a lot of bait and birds on the 9 though. We ere at 32 45, 117 31. Around 6pm we came across a kelp on the ridge between the 209 and 181. Caught 1 dorado off of it. Most of the fish seemed to be off another kelp 500yds away that the Sea Adventure 80 was catching off of. Kept it moving towards the NW end. Arrived in the darkness and metered some scattered bft and made some drops with the knife jig. Nada. Didn't put a ton of effort inot it as the real goal was to start fishing Wed above the 499. We really were targeting cows on the kite.
    image7.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Started cruising up towards the 499 and didn't see a lot of bait let alone a tuna on the way North. Wed 8/24 started above the 499 and saw tons of bait. We put out a California flyer and skipped it around as we boxed areas of bait waiting for the bft to surface. We were out there from 5am to 5pm and the tuna never showed. Worked out past the Snail and on top of the 474. Nothing. No tuna marks the whole time. Just bait and birds. Only saw one spot of fish come up for about 15 seconds just short of the snail. We boxed the area with a flyer skipping around and then again with a madmac going 12knots. Nothing.

Around 5pm on Wed we decided to head back to the NW end of Clemente because that's the only area we saw bft on the trip. Got down there around 7pm after trolling a Madmac from the 499 to the NW end. Started to see scattered marks on the up and down meter once we arrived. No takers. Went ahead and drifted while we ate dinner.

Around 830pm we started motoring around again and worked down the front side of Clemente. Started marking better spots of bft but no takers by the time we got a jig down to them. Not having side scanning sonar for this fishing makes things a little tough and you are depending a little on luck to run over the top of a school. Some long range boats then started to show up in the same area. Everyone was pretty tight together but worked well with each other.

At 10pm we finally ran over a good school that kept building once we stopped. On the 2nd drop I got bit on the sink on a 300gram Candy Cane Fish Karma Knife jig with 300lb leader. Mak 20 with 100lb JB, 25ft of 130lb Seaguar fluoro, UC Invictus. This fish was in trouble. I had the right gear and was frustrated with the day and motivated as hell. I didn't give him an inch and got him up to the boat pretty hot. Within 5min of being hooked he was on the deck and going ape shit. He was just over 80lbs. Not what we were looking for, but such sweet salvation from a tough day. Around 50 min later we found another good school and got bit again on the knife jig. Hooked another on the 2nd drop on the sink. This one felt like a good one with solid runs, and head shakes. About 10 min later we landed another BFT. A 65lber impersonating a 100lber. At this point we were stoked for essentially saving the trip at the last min.
    image2.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image0.jpeg

Worked the area a little longer before calling it and putting back to MB. Plan was to fish the 182 and north 9 on the way home Thursday morning. Around 650am on Thursday I found a kelp around the 182 on the ridge. We easily limited out on Dorado and left them biting. Every sardine that hit the water was a dodo. Pretty awesome way to end the trip. On the way back to MB we didn't see much life on the 9. All and all a good trip because the persistance paid off. Never give up!

image4.jpeg

A very long 2 day trip, but we made the right moves at the last minute and capitalized on a couple of opportunities. Overall it was disappointing because the bft fishing around Catalina and Clemente had been so good, until we got there. I'm pretty sure everyone got blanked in that zone on Wed.

image5.jpeg

Last edited:

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
    May 31, 2003
    Poway redneck
    www.wedigscripps.com
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    23' Maritime Patriot
    yeah its a great boat. Just needs a power upgrade. But its pretty dialed in and comfortable being out for multiple days. And yes it's my buddy's, and he is in Mission Bay, Marina Village.
    Thought so. I've seen him at Dana fuel dock a few times. Not many of those Seasports down south here.

Reactions: darrenforeal
    Upvote 0

HoxFish

Family Crest - My Lure is True
    Jan 17, 2007
    Valle del Sol
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Moo
    "A 65lber impersonating a 100lber." 💯😂

A buddy of mine and I were talking about how mean some of the we've hooked this year have been.

Upvote 0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Castaic
    Name
    Blair Lechtenberg
    Boat Name
    Salty Jack
    Left at 11am on Tuesday the 23rd. Game plan was to cruise out the the NW end of Clemente going about 6 knots and fish kelps on the way out . We planned to get to the night bite zone in Clemente around 11pm.
    View attachment 1417462

Saw lots of foamers on small BFT on the North end of the 9 o nthe way out but didn't put any effort into it because we were in search of bigger fish. It was very fishy with a lot of bait and birds on the 9 though. We ere at 32 45, 117 31. Around 6pm we came across a kelp on the ridge between the 209 and 182. Caught 1 dorado off of it. Most of the fish seemed to be off another kelp 500yds away that the Sea Adventure 80 was catching off of. Kept it moving towards the NW end. Arrived in the darkness and metered some scattered bft and made some drops with the knife jig. Nada. Didn't put a ton of effort inot it as the real goal was to start fishing Wed above the 499. We really were targeting cows on the kite.
    View attachment 1417463

View attachment 1417473

Started cruising up towards the 499 and didn't see a lot of bait let alone a tuna on the way North. Wed 8/24 started above the 499 and saw tons of bait. We put out a California flyer and skipped it around as we boxed areas of bait waiting for the bft to surface. We were out there from 5am to 5pm and the tuna never showed. Worked out past the Snail and on top of the 474. Nothing. No tuna marks the whole time. Just bait and birds. Only saw one spot of fish come up for about 15 seconds just short of the snail. We boxed the area with a flyer skipping around and then again with a madmac going 12knots. Nothing.

Around 5pm on Wed we decided to head back to the NW end of Clemente because that's the only area we saw bft on the trip. Got down there around 7pm after trolling a Madmac from the 499 to the NW end. Started to see scattered marks on the up and down meter once we arrived. No takers. Went ahead and drifted while we ate dinner.

Around 830pm we started motoring around again and worked down the front side of Clemente. Started marking better spots of bft but no takers by the time we got a jig down to them. Not having side scanning sonar for this fishing makes things a little tough and you are depending a little on luck to run over the top of a school. Some long range boats then started to show up in the same area. Everyone was pretty tight together but worked well with each other.

At 10pm we finally ran over a good school that kept building once we stopped. On the 2nd drop I got bit on the sink on a 300gram Candy Cane Fish Karma Knife jig with 300lb leader. Mak 20 with 100lb JB, 25ft of 130lb Seaguar fluoro, UC Invictus. This fish was in trouble. I had the right gear and was frustrated with the day and motivated as hell. I didn't give him an inch and got him up to the boat pretty hot. Within 5min of being hooked he was on the deck and going ape shit. He was just over 80lbs. Not what we were looking for, but such sweet salvation from a tough day. Around 50 min later we found another good school and got bit again on the knife jig. Hooked another on the 2nd drop on the sink. This one felt like a good one with solid runs, and head shakes. About 10 min later we landed another BFT. A 65lber impersonating a 100lber. At this point we were stoked for essentially saving the trip at the last min.
    View attachment 1417466

View attachment 1417468

View attachment 1417467

Worked the area a little longer before calling it and putting back to MB. Plan was to fish the 182 and north 9 on the way home Thursday morning. Around 650am on Thursday I found a kelp around the 182 on the ridge. We easily limited out on Dorado and left them biting. Every sardine that hit the water was a dodo. Pretty awesome way to end the trip. On the way back to MB we didn't see much life on the 9. All and all a good trip because the persistance paid off. Never give up!

View attachment 1417469

A very long 2 day trip, but we made the right moves at the last minute and capitalized on a couple of opportunities. Overall it was disappointing because the bft fishing around Catalina and Clemente had been so good, until we got there. I'm pretty sure everyone got blanked in that zone on Wed.

View attachment 1417470

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    Skipjack 24 Fly
    Thanks for the great report, I did a similar trip last season a day after everyone killed it and blanked myself, you'll have that. I dig the boat.

Upvote 0