ryanhead

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
I wasn't going to post because of the volume of recent reports, but we did pretty well and hopefully this helps someone out. Got 12 good grade yellowfin in the 226/302 area.

• THEY WANT SMALL BAITS!!! I hooked 7 yft by choosing particularly small sardines. When I chose bigger sardines, they wouldn't touch them. Also, really small, thin hooks. Size 4 light wire, same hooks I use to flyline nightcrawlers for trout. 3 fish came on a 60g colt sniper that was about the same size as our smallest sardines and one fish ate a 4" black and purple tuna clone on the troll. If we hadn't been intentional about fishing smaller baits, we might have come home with nothing.
  • Fish are spread out over a huge area. We found our own school on the edge of the fleet and had them blowing up around the boat for an hour so don't be afraid to get away from the volume of boats.
  • Troll until you find meter marks and start chumming. Guys are running around chasing boats and birds but the water is so dirty that the birds can't find the fish and running up on other boats just pushes someone else's fish down. The fish wouldn't bite trolling rigs well, but trolling forces you to slow down to a speed that doesn't push down the fish and that should allow your sonar to function effectively.
  • Also got 2 fish on reverse dropper loops with a 5 oz weight when we saw sonar marks but were low on bait and didn't want to chum. If you can't get the fish to come up, put your bait in front of them.

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
Spot on report. I concur, we experienced the same thing Friday....

The only thing I might add is light line...15, 20 and 25.....we got bit more on the rods with those weights and Fluoro. But only 15lb test on Izor....Went out Tuesday and used straight Izor.....Friday the Fluoro made the difference.

Ironically, once we found fish biting on sonar marks, the Sporties would stop on us....So it definitely goes both ways, but they usually steal your school....Just sayin....

Great report

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I wasn't going to post because of the volume of recent reports, but we did pretty well and hopefully this helps someone out. Got 12 good grade yellowfin in the 226/302 area.

• THEY WANT SMALL BAITS!!! I hooked 7 yft by choosing particularly small sardines. When I chose bigger sardines, they wouldn't touch them. Also, really small, thin hooks. Size 4 light wire, same hooks I use to flyline nightcrawlers for trout. 3 fish came on a 60g colt sniper that was about the same size as our smallest sardines and one fish ate a 4" black and purple tuna clone on the troll. If we hadn't been intentional about fishing smaller baits, we might have come home with nothing.
  • Fish are spread out over a huge area. We found our own school on the edge of the fleet and had them blowing up around the boat for an hour so don't be afraid to get away from the volume of boats.
  • Troll until you find meter marks and start chumming. Guys are running around chasing boats and birds but the water is so dirty that the birds can't find the fish and running up on other boats just pushes someone else's fish down. The fish wouldn't bite trolling rigs well, but trolling forces you to slow down to a speed that doesn't push down the fish and that should allow your sonar to function effectively.
  • Also got 2 fish on reverse dropper loops with a 5 oz weight when we saw sonar marks but were low on bait and didn't want to chum. If you can't get the fish to come up, put your bait in front of them.
Good info, sinker rigs, light line, #4 hooks and small jigs.

Reactions: Geo-Fish

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
Weird. I was out Saturday and they bit the larger sardine and heavier/bigger colts...same area
Maybe it was the day, but when I used a larger than 4” bait I wouldn’t get bit. I got bit immediately on 3-4” lively baits.

The bait was excellent on Friday.....Lived the whole trip. Maybe 100 alive in bait tank when we arrived back at Shelter. So thick I couldn’t see my needle nose at the bottom of the well....

It’s rare that we actually throw “live bait” as chum. Towards the end of our trip we threw a few out, if that says anything....

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
Thursday I caught fish on big and small sardines. 20# and #2 j-hook (fished like a circlehook). Also, drop your bait in and then drop 2-3 live ones to follow your bait out. When flylining, after already catching a fish, your spectra can be sticky on the reel, which causes the bait to swim fast then do a wheelie or endo, depending on nose or butt hooking. try to keep the bait swimming without being stopped by the sticky spectra. If you don't get bit within 2 minutes, rebait.

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
Good info, sinker rigs, light line, #4 hooks and small jigs.
#2 Owner Mutu Circle Hooks were the ticket for us on Friday......

We went 11 for 11 on corner of mouth hook sets and no lost fish.......Had to let #11 go. Only two of us on board......That doesn’t happen often with YFT (Skippies = yes). But you’ve gotta reel in a double bendo for it to count.

It’s been awhile since I’ve had to gaff my own fish, I was solo the last time.......I had to do it 3X...

Reactions: clevel

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Great info for people that have upcoming trips. Thanks guys!!

How about the reels? Fathom 12/15, Trinidad 14a, etc. good enough as far as capacity?

i snag for food

Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
Vic
Boat
Wellcraft Bay 195

How about the reels? Fathom 12/15, Trinidad 14a, etc. good enough as far as capacity?
bass gear worked fine for me. Tranx 200, tranx 300, conquest 300. Used bass gear no problem brought fish in within 5 mins. 30# braid to 15/20 fluoro 10’ long.

05659617-F12D-4934-8D61-3A0C3BFFFF2E.png

ryanhead

Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge

These aren't big fish, no need for fancy gear. Caught all my fish on a 25 year old sealine 20, 50# chinese braid, short 20# mono topshot and 1 cent j hooks (aliexpress size 13). Small graphite reels make it easier to fish the smaller baits.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
These aren't big fish, no need for fancy gear. Caught all my fish on a 25 year old sealine 20, 50# chinese braid, short 20# mono topshot and 1 cent j hooks (aliexpress size 13). Small graphite reels make it easier to fish the smaller baits.
Fancy gear....LOL

Would love to fish a SL20, but they want too much at the swap meets!

Geo-Fish

Nov 18, 2016
San Diego
Name
Geo
Boat
Geo-Fish
My SL20 is still relevant and rips em in like a champ!

My son is getting a kick outta my 20 year old gear.....

Reactions: clevel

princefredo

May 23, 2010
Lakewood, Ca
Name
alfredo
Boat
Hobie Mirage "Master Baiter"
Tha is for the information gentlemen...I’ll be going out on the Tribute Tuesday night.

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy

This guy knows how to do the report...just the guts of it!
Thanks dude

nmthree

Nick M- So Cal
Feb 9, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Nick
Boat
None
Is Fluro necessary?

ryanhead

Oct 19, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
24' Skipjack Flybridge
Is Fluro necessary?
Water is really dirty and green. I don't think the fish care at all about mono vs fluoro. That cheap green maxima that the salmon guys use up north would actually match the water color well and might be worth a shot.

Reactions: nmthree

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Since fluoro is the same specific gravity as water, it tends to sink rather than float like mono. Plus it is practically invisible in the water, kind of like a single eyelash across your eye. Is it there? This can be a real advantage in a fly-line situation.

If it cost a bunch of money it would be questionable. But fluoro from a whole bunch of makers is really not very expensive if you get it in larger spools, or have it put on from a very large spool at a store like Turner's. 25 pound Seaguar classic is less for a hundred yards, loaded onto your reel, than a 25 yard minispool. All of my reels now have a cast length of fluoro over the braid.

Reactions: nmthree