Offshore 8/2 Coronado Canyon BFT/YFT

Matt Russo

Jun 19, 2015
Name
Matthew Russo
Boat
The Rigamroo
I've lurked on these forums/site for years pulling tips and info without posting anything myself so bear with me here...

Got out yesterday 8/2 with the boys and BD members Ricky Fish and Brogan11 and other non member Taylor. Good friends of mine and we've been fishing together for years figuring out our program. Got two scoops after a surprisingly fast 10 boat line at roughly 5am. Bait was less than desirable compared to some other trips. Slide out to the zone and make the decision to stay a few miles from the flotilla thats amassing and throw out a blue/white feather and cedar while we start looking for birds. Look around for maybe twenty minutes and pull them in as we see some birds start stacking up. Fish come up with them and we slide into position and start by throwing a full scoop then some ones and twos. They are reacting the right way and we get some fresh baits in the water. Ricky's bit first and maybe 10 minutes later we have our first 30ish lb YFT on deck. Logan gets bit minutes later and we keep tossing ones and twos and notice this school is sticking with us real good. 2 on the deck now and Ricky is bit again followed by quickly by Logan again. I think we all had the same thought that we might be working this spot of fish for a good while when off the horizon we see some center console going full speed at us noticing we had a double going. Keep in mind we are maybe 3 miles from any surrounding boat. We try and wave him off and hail him to shut down but he slides maybe 50-75 yards off our stern right in our chum and and within minutes the bite shuts down. Boat those two hanging and one more and after another 30 frustrating minutes we decide to go on the hunt again. Still, 5/5 on YFT by 7:30 in the morning got us feeling pretty good. Those fish only bit hot bait as soon as they hit the water.

We move down the line and spot some good marks at 75'-100' and give em a shot. After a long soak Ricky's bit and we have our first BFT. 6/6 by maybe 8:00am now. Spent the rest of the two hours marking fish and seeing spots pop up and sink out pretty quickly. Manage more more BFT before we ran out of bait around 10:30am. Followed more bird schools for a couple hours which were moving extremely fast but they wanted nothing to do with anything artificial thrown at em.

Ended up with the 5 YFT and 2 BFT and called it around 12:30. Still frustrated because that first school was willing to bite and pretty confident we could have puled 10+ fish from it.

Sorry the longwinded report and bit late report.

-Matt

Last posted photo cracks me up. Was tossing ones and twos and nailed Ricky in the back and what came out was a perfect imprint of a flying dean.

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
San Diego
Name
Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
Boat
19 SeaPro
I've lurked on these forums/site for years pulling tips and info without posting anything myself so bear with me here...

Got out yesterday 8/2 with the boys and BD members Ricky Fish and Brogan11 and other non member Taylor. Good friends of mine and we've been fishing together for years figuring out our program. Got two scoops after a surprisingly fast 10 boat line at roughly 5am. Bait was less than desirable compared to some other trips. Slide out to the zone and make the decision to stay a few miles from the flotilla thats amassing and throw out a blue/white feather and cedar while we start looking for birds. Look around for maybe twenty minutes and pull them in as we see some birds start stacking up. Fish come up with them and we slide into position and start by throwing a full scoop then some ones and twos. They are reacting the right way and we get some fresh baits in the water. Ricky's bit first and maybe 10 minutes later we have our first 30ish lb YFT on deck. Logan gets bit minutes later and we keep tossing ones and twos and notice this school is sticking with us real good. 2 on the deck now and Ricky is bit again followed by quickly by Logan again. I think we all had the same thought that we might be working this spot of fish for a good while when off the horizon we see some center console going full speed at us noticing we had a double going. Keep in mind we are maybe 3 miles from any surrounding boat. We try and wave him off and hail him to shut down but he slides maybe 50-75 yards off our stern right in our chum and and within minutes the bite shuts down. Boat those two hanging and one more and after another 30 frustrating minutes we decide to go on the hunt again. Still, 5/5 on YFT by 7:30 in the morning got us feeling pretty good. Those fish only bit hot bait as soon as they hit the water.

We move down the line and spot some good marks at 75'-100' and give em a shot. After a long soak Ricky's bit and we have our first BFT. 6/6 by maybe 8:00am now. Spent the rest of the two hours marking fish and seeing spots pop up and sink out pretty quickly. Manage more more BFT before we ran out of bait around 10:30am. Followed more bird schools for a couple hours which were moving extremely fast but they wanted nothing to do with anything artificial thrown at em.

Ended up with the 5 YFT and 2 BFT and called it around 12:30. Still frustrated because that first school was willing to bite and pretty confident we could have puled 10+ fish from it.

Sorry the longwinded report and bit late report.

-Matt

Last posted photo cracks me up. Was tossing ones and twos and nailed Ricky in the back and what came out was a perfect imprint of a flying dean.

View attachment 1179475

View attachment 1179477

View attachment 1179482

View attachment 1179483

View attachment 1179484

View attachment 1179488
Buddy is going out tomorrow. Can you tell me where he should start ?

Upvote 0

Matt Russo

Jun 19, 2015
Name
Matthew Russo
Boat
The Rigamroo
Buddy is going out tomorrow. Can you tell me where he should start ?

Given the chance I would have started looking around the same spot. I don't have numbers off the top of my head but it water looked good and was hovering around 71-72 all day. There was clearly a large biosmass of mixed YF/BF but finding a slower moving biting school might be tough.

Upvote 0

MHey

Weekend Warrior
Aug 30, 2017
SoCal
Name
Mike
Boat
Striper, dreaming of a Parker
thanks for sharing! bummer about the CC shutting it down

Upvote 0