Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    2018 Parker 2320 - "Reel Busy"
    Quick report for yesterday somewhere between San Clemente and Catalina 😂

I wasn’t captain so wasn’t paying extreme attention but know it was a 3 hour run each way doing 30mph so you get the idea… it was a run.

When Jordan wrote me Monday asking what my fishing plans were for the week I knew something was brewing… we penciled in a trip for big BF for Wednesday.

…and of course since I’m greedy and want to catch everything in the ocean, we did a quick half day islands run the day before.

The crew for this trip was Jordan, myself, my dad Bob and Chuck.

I’ll spare the details about the ride… it was fast, it was smooth, and for the most part, uneventful until we got into the “zone”.

(We did have one paddy we spent 10 min on with aquarium style dorado fishing… that had zero interest in biting)

Things started getting “fishy” with BF foam here and there… we tried the madmacs for no love… we then got the kite setup going and skipped a California flyer right through foam… for no love.

Right when we were starting to scratch our heads… most of the foam disappeared.

Not good. Especially being kinda committed with the kite.

After about 30 min we started seeing foam again… after another attempt with the kite and flyer we said screw it let’s try a spreader bar and madmac.

I set it waaaaaay out so the guys were giving me shit but figured what the hell, these fish are skittish.

Found some foam and dragged it right through and BAM we’re on.

After laughing, while winding, about whose idea was it to have that thing out 300 yards… we got the 70lb or so BF over the rail.

After tending to the fish and getting it prepped for ice… we quickly found more foam… cruised over, set the spreader out and like clockwork… as soon as almost to the outer edge of the foam BAM.

This time, the fish didn’t feel as small… and 10 min in to the fight he kinda woke up and we realized this was probably the triple digit fish I’ve been waiting for.

For the next 20 min we all took turns trying our hardest to kick his ass… I was the lucky angler to fight most of it at the end… which was fun… and a ass whopping standing up fighting it with 30 lbs of drag… but I knew we had to kill it fast before our chances go lower if landing it.

After some quick teamwork going around the boat I dug deep for some extra energy and was ready to finish it off… once we got the gaffs in em, I could tell it was big from Jordan and crews expressions.

Posed for some rad photos (thanks Jordan) and yanked it into the boat and realized that’s a big M’fer!

Did all the girth and length measurements and ended up taping out at 204.

At this point it’s foam all over… we’re tending to the fish (thanks Jordan) and creeping up on foam to cast to it and try and get something on the lures but they didn’t want anything we were casting… yes even the clear poppers haha

So we said screw it, let’s put the spreader out again…

This time I was at the helm since Jordan was gutting the fish and I dragged the bar right into the foam as we all said… ok any minute now… 1….2….3…. BAM we’re on again.

We made quick work of that one… a solid 50-60lb fish and realized we don’t really need to keep more fish… and it’s going to be hard to catch and release on these guys so we did our best to quit fishing.

…which we didn’t…

So we chased some insane foam around that mostly wouldn’t bite…. But we got one to slip up and chew a mint tady 45.

Fought it for 15 min or so and pulled hook right around deep color… which we were totally good with since was going to release anyway.

At this point it was around 430pm and we pointed for a long run home doing about 30mph through white capped 4’ swells and Jordan’s 32’ Everglades ate it up.

Jordan - thanks again for a killer trip and helping me crush my previous BF personal best fish!

F456E533-663C-4DB0-94A2-8A11F5A8D076.jpeg

AB5BB7F4-1132-4F2B-AE11-9A8757242C78.jpeg

2B1BE33B-0086-48FC-B3B3-F832AA413135.jpeg

07F86285-6429-49FC-9468-43FE671051BE.jpeg

726E8AE6-DDC4-43BA-B721-D09218CC0393.jpeg

F8736534-F80F-4D53-A148-B58BF3435868.jpeg

3DDF256E-15AC-458C-BB2F-B7CCB920E943.jpeg

04716E50-EB47-4AE2-8745-62EEF1D6F726.jpeg

7A59F3D9-55F0-485E-8529-D6CDF612B5F9.jpeg

9D905CE1-47C3-4AAA-9B4C-5D30293D04CA.jpeg

1BE6D8E7-B709-43BD-8AE4-515825F73406.jpeg

FCAF578F-B077-4859-BD9D-701D56BB38B4.jpeg

C8474B90-E100-4178-95B4-177FCBEEAE24.jpeg

0C5CDE12-B503-4EAA-828A-0BEA8552FF77.jpeg

32E477FE-534C-4A33-8A36-C85A65D3BD41.jpeg

11F3BCB8-DF8C-4F46-96ED-89EBC3AF8071.jpeg

A662E393-2A5C-4FE6-972C-AFC797EFA76F.jpeg

9AE7104B-F0F6-41DD-ADA6-F5FFF4F42D99.jpeg

Last edited:

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    Welcome to the club brutha! Congrats on the big fish. The best part in my eyes is getting your ass whooped with your buddies! You get to share this memory for the rest of your lives. Stoked for u guys

That’s a weird looking madmac! Lmfao.
    100% agree. Really cool to share the love with the group

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Wow! Pinned to the rail! I love it! Is that a Cousins rail rod? I have a similar one (but have never caught anything on it). Hoping to change that. Oh, yeah: nice sled!

Reactions: Cole418
    Upvote 0

Cole418

• Jul 18, 2019
    Encinitas
    Name
    Cole
    Boat Name
    That’s rad man, looks like a blast.
    That’s a real funny looking Madmac, I thought that’s all that worked around there.
    😂😂

I’ve given it a shot a few times to no avail… I’d rather run a spreader… not a fan of the high speed trolling but if that’s what it takes then I guess I’ll still be prepared to give it a shot

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

vegasandre

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Any Boat that I can go on

I wasn’t captain so wasn’t paying extreme attention but know it was a 3 hour run each way doing 30mph so you get the idea… it was a run.

When Jordan wrote me Monday asking what my fishing plans were for the week I knew something was brewing… we penciled in a trip for big BF for Wednesday.

…and of course since I’m greedy and want to catch everything in the ocean, we did a quick half day islands run the day before.

I’ll spare the details about the ride… it was fast, it was smooth, and for the most part, uneventful until we got into the “zone”.

(We did have one paddy we spent 10 min on with aquarium style dorado fishing… that had zero interest in biting)

Things started getting “fishy” with BF foam here and there… we tried the madmacs for no love… we then got the kite setup going and skipped a California flyer right through foam… for no love.

After about 30 min we started seeing foam again… after another attempt with the kite and flyer we said screw it let’s try a spreader bar and madmac.

I set it waaaaaay out so the guys were giving me shit but figured what the hell, these fish are skittish.

After laughing, while winding, about whose idea was it to have that thing out 300 yards… we got the 70lb or so BF over the rail.

After tending to the fish and getting it prepped for ice… we quickly found more foam… cruised over, set the spreader out and like clockwork… as soon as almost to the outer edge of the foam BAM.

This time, the fish didn’t feel as small… and 10 min in to the fight he kinda woke up and we realized this was probably the triple digit fish I’ve been waiting for.

For the next 20 min we all took turns trying our hardest to kick his ass… I was the lucky angler to fight most of it at the end… which was fun… and a ass whopping standing up fighting it with 30 lbs of drag… but I knew we had to kill it fast before our chances go lower if landing it.

After some quick teamwork going around the boat I dug deep for some extra energy and was ready to finish it off… once we got the gaffs in em, I could tell it was big from Jordan and crews expressions.

Posed for some rad photos (thanks Jordan) and yanked it into the boat and realized that’s a big M’fer!

At this point it’s foam all over… we’re tending to the fish (thanks Jordan) and creeping up on foam to cast to it and try and get something on the lures but they didn’t want anything we were casting… yes even the clear poppers haha

This time I was at the helm since Jordan was gutting the fish and I dragged the bar right into the foam as we all said… ok any minute now… 1….2….3…. BAM we’re on again.

We made quick work of that one… a solid 50-60lb fish and realized we don’t really need to keep more fish… and it’s going to be hard to catch and release on these guys so we did our best to quit fishing.

…which we didn’t…

So we chased some insane foam around that mostly wouldn’t bite…. But we got one to slip up and chew a mint tady 45.

Fought it for 15 min or so and pulled hook right around deep color… which we were totally good with since was going to release anyway.

At this point it was around 430pm and we pointed for a long run home doing about 30mph through white capped 4’ swells and Jordan’s 32’ Everglades ate it up.

Jordan - thanks again for a killer trip and helping me crush my previous BF personal best fish!

View attachment 1414614

View attachment 1414615

View attachment 1414617

View attachment 1414618

View attachment 1414619

View attachment 1414620

View attachment 1414622

View attachment 1414623

View attachment 1414624

View attachment 1414625

View attachment 1414627

View attachment 1414628

View attachment 1414629

View attachment 1414630

View attachment 1414631

View attachment 1414632

View attachment 1414633

View attachment 1414634
    Awesome report.. well written..
    Awesome pics..
    Awesome boat...
    congrats!

Upvote 0

JTIME5

Almost A Member
    Dec 1, 2005
    orange county
    Name
    cong
    Boat Name
    28 Grady white JTIME5

…which we didn’t…

View attachment 1414614

View attachment 1414615

View attachment 1414617

View attachment 1414618

View attachment 1414619

View attachment 1414620

View attachment 1414622

View attachment 1414623

View attachment 1414624

View attachment 1414625

View attachment 1414627

View attachment 1414628

View attachment 1414629

View attachment 1414630

View attachment 1414631

View attachment 1414632

View attachment 1414633

View attachment 1414634
    Congratulations get cow on spreader.
    10 miles north my friend got 6 big fish all on kite.Time to bring kite out

Upvote 0

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
    Man that's sweet. Thanks for sharing. Mind if I ask what rod, reel and line using? Is that a visx 30 or 50?

Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
    LA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat Name
    None
    Wow! Now I know I am working in the wrong industry. Do you guys work all night then run n gun all day? I used to subscribe to the rest when you're dead mentality but that doesn't seem to work out too well any more.

Congrats on the PB caught on another stellar day out on our beautiful seas. Good job bringing Pops along for some great shared memories.

Nice to see more blue shirts out there too. Just ordered some of the Cody Blue.

Upvote 0