ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Great info, buddy. Even Alan and the Dreamer are out hunting on the southwest side of the Slide.

Currents are pushing north northwest The boats seem to be finding fish stacking up on the south east edge of banks in the nutrient dense water in about the 68* water.

Good plan for tomorrow.

The Dreamer is at the 277 now. I think they gave up going west from the east end and has been in the 277 area for the past few hours. There might be some action there since it was the hot spot last week.

1629316804983.png

The Enterprise is at the spot where they were catching fish two days ago and DP caught fish last night. If their counts are good today, it might be the spot for tomorrow's hunt. The preliminary plan is to hit the "Slide" in the morning go southwest to the Enterprise spot and look around. If it doesn't pan out, we might head to 277 from that area. I'm sure there are some kelp patties along the way that hasn't been stepped on by every boat.

1629316930342.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Seems like overall there are more options on the phone app vs PC. Oh well, I like to have it on my computer when I'm supposed to be working and miss how it would display (with contours). Thanks for troubleshooting with me.
    They might not be using Google maps on their website. It doesn't have the Google logo like on the map on their app.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    It looks like the Enterprise did well on the Bluefin today for a 3/4 day boat. They reported 16 bluefins caught but hooked up about 40 fish. They didn't even get to the location until around 10AM. They left around 3PM time, so that is very good given the short fishing time.

Western pride puddled around, but only had one bluefin hookup in the afternoon.

My bet is the area west of the 277 right under the east end for tomorrow. It has been producing for the past few days. Long soaks and chum chum chum!

Happy hunting.

1629335226100.png

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    It looks like the Enterprise did well on the Bluefin today for a 3/4 day boat. They reported 16 bluefins caught but hooked up about 40 fish. They didn't even get to the location until around 10AM. They left around 3PM time, so that is very good given the short fishing time.

Western pride puddled around, but only had one bluefin hookup in the afternoon.

My bet is the area west of the 277 right under the east end for tomorrow. It has been producing for the past few days. Long soaks and chum chum chum!

Happy hunting.

View attachment 1310419
    Do macs do well for long soaks? What's the best way to hook them?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Do macs do well for long soaks? What's the best way to hook them?

I usually long soak the sardines. You can slow troll with macs.

Some people use bridles on the baits. Its supposed to make bait swim better instead of directly attaching the hook to the fish.

stuman
    stuman
    This is true, a bridled mackerel can be trolled for a long time.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Great info, buddy. Even Alan and the Dreamer are out hunting on the southwest side of the Slide.

Currents are pushing north northwest The boats seem to be finding fish stacking up on the south east edge of banks in the nutrient dense water in about the 68* water.

Good plan for tomorrow.
    Which websites do you use to find current direction?

Upvote 0

MDC

Sep 9, 2008
    San Marcos/CA/USA
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    none
    Something big is going on in Clemente. American Angler got a radio call and hauled ass from Mexico back to American waters. Polaris Supreme has been hunting in the northern San Clemente area and may have sent out the signal to the fleet. It takes BALLS to haul ass 95 miles away while you are in Ensenada back to US waters unless you have a secret code group to tell you where the fish are biting. They may be getting a good bite at the snail, 499 or 474 area.

View attachment 1310203

Topgun80 is at Tanner area and Liberty is hauling ass back to the area. They have been producing some fish recently, but not WFO. That is a long trip.
    View attachment 1310207

In other news, the Enterprise has been killing the YFT near Catalina.

Enterprise: 8/16
    35 Yellowfin Tuna, 3 Bluefin Tuna
    View attachment 1310210

Dana Pride was in same area today and caught a lot of bluefins.

Dana Pride: 8/17 (Almost exactly the same spot)
    37 Bluefin Tuna, 3 Dorado, 3 Yellowtail, 2 Yellowfin Tuna
    View attachment 1310209

Ride them hard! If you catch any in any of the areas, let us know. Its best to spread the good karma around so we can all catch fish.

Here are the GPS of the general area where the Dana Pride and Enterprise caught the fish.
    View attachment 1310211

Its a tough season for everyone hunting down the BFT, so any information would be great for the entire fishing fleet. We all spent a lot of money on fuel and other expenses to get out there, so its best to help each other find the fish. These fish move around, so the exact GPS spots are not as important as rockfishing.

Good luck guys!
    The Angler was on some decent fish. Check their 8/18 report on their website.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Which websites do you use to find current direction?

I go to Windy to get wind and current information. For current, you click on the arrow for "more layers" and look for the current. There is a line item for current and another one for tidal current. It shows roughly the direction of the current.

The normal current are usually driven by the wind and remains relatively the same over a period of time. The tidal currents are driven by the moon phase and time of day. If you scroll through the day, you can see the direction of the tidal current change throughout the day. Again, the data is at the macro level so if you are in open waters, the currents are mainly correct. If you are close to an island, the current may vary due to underwater terrain that makes the current go faster and slower in some areas.

1629362995749.png

Last edited:
    Reactions: stuman and Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    Here is another one. I'm thinking this one shows the underlying current or long term current. The cool thing is you can go back in time (click on the calendar). Compare this year's eddy off of Oceanside to the one in 2016. When the YFT show up, it might be another epic year off of Oside.

It's my observation, I don't have any facts. But it is another thing to look at in your free time. On 97six compare the historic fish counts from the Dana Point 3/4 day boats in 2016 to other years. Then look at the current and water temps.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Here is another one. I'm thinking this one shows the underlying current or long term current. The cool thing is you can go back in time (click on the calendar). Compare this year's eddy off of Oceanside to the one in 2016. When the YFT show up, it might be another epic year off of Oside.

It's my observation, I don't have any facts. But it is another thing to look at in your free time. On 97six compare the historic fish counts from the Dana Point 3/4 day boats in 2016 to other years. Then look at the current and water temps.

Thanks for the info. I believe they all use the same satellite system for data, and may be presenting them slightly different. The Windy system uses the Copernicus satellite data and the one you show also use the CMEMS data for some of their information. The site you use also has GHRSST data included. The more info, the better. I generally take ocean current measurements as a general direction mainly because it changes so much and the current at the specific location depends on a lot more factors than just the surface current. The underground terrain creates areas where the current is much stronger or weaker similar to wind blowing through mountains.

A lot of the historical data helps go generate an idea when the fish would be biting the best. But in reality, every month, every week and even every day, the pattern changes. To me, its a guideline to determine the best time of the month to fish due to currents and moon phase so that you have the best chance to catch fish. If you are in the wrong spot or have bad "luck", you can be skunked even in the middle of an el nino year. I believe that luck plays a big part with fishing because even with all the information you have, luck will change your outcome.

Here is an example how luck can play into it. We prepared for this trip on Thursday. Got the gear ready, got everything ready. Had a game plan for the location. We are down on the dock and then when we start the engine, we hear a grinding noise. It looks like one of the bearing on the engine just went bad. We did a couple of runs and couldn't even get the boat on plane. We had to head back to the dock and now the boat is in line for repairs. That is how "luck" plays into your life even when you think you got everything covered. LOL.

Reactions: stuman
    Upvote 0

Latest posts