Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Headed out yesterday from San Pedro at 7am. The sky was overcast and very calm.
    20210817_072048.jpg
    20210817_071848.jpg

We started our search near Avalon Bank. We saw surfacing fish at 8am a few miles nw of Avalon bank. We stopped and waited to see if they would come up again but no luck. Started trolling a cedar plug and DTX minnow as we searched around Avalon Bank. Marked several bait balls as we headed towards East End.
    20210817_090248.jpg

20210817_101159.jpg

20210817_101749.jpg

There were about half a dozen boats near the quarry so we decided to check down towards the 152 and 277. No surface action or kelp paddies. We didn't really get a complete look at 277. Decided to call it a day earlier and head back. Probably should have worked further west of our track or maybe try long soak at Avalon Bank. Saw the most bait there by far.
    Screenshot_20210818-003515_Boating.jpg

There were some fish landed reported on the radio. A dorado on a 6in cedar plug off east end Cat and a BFT ~30lbs on a long soak sardine a few miles off east end on the west side of the slide. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines!

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Something big is going on in Clemente. American Angler got a radio call and hauled ass from Mexico back to American waters. Polaris Supreme has been hunting in the northern San Clemente area and may have sent out the signal to the fleet. It takes BALLS to haul ass 95 miles away while you are in Ensenada back to US waters unless you have a secret code group to tell you where the fish are biting. They may be getting a good bite at the snail, 499 or 474 area.

1629275299583.png

Topgun80 is at Tanner area and Liberty is hauling ass back to the area. They have been producing some fish recently, but not WFO. That is a long trip.
    1629275863506.png

In other news, the Enterprise has been killing the YFT near Catalina.

Enterprise: 8/16
    35 Yellowfin Tuna, 3 Bluefin Tuna
    1629275972749.png

Dana Pride was in same area today and caught a lot of bluefins.

Dana Pride: 8/17 (Almost exactly the same spot)
    37 Bluefin Tuna, 3 Dorado, 3 Yellowtail, 2 Yellowfin Tuna
    1629275962388.png

Ride them hard! If you catch any in any of the areas, let us know. Its best to spread the good karma around so we can all catch fish.

Here are the GPS of the general area where the Dana Pride and Enterprise caught the fish.
    1629276425187.png

Its a tough season for everyone hunting down the BFT, so any information would be great for the entire fishing fleet. We all spent a lot of money on fuel and other expenses to get out there, so its best to help each other find the fish. These fish move around, so the exact GPS spots are not as important as rockfishing.

Good luck guys!

Last edited:

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Something big is going on in Clemente. American Angler got a radio call and hauled ass from Mexico back to American waters. Polaris Supreme has been hunting in the northern San Clemente area and may have sent out the signal to the fleet. It takes BALLS to haul ass 95 miles away while you are in Ensenada back to US waters unless you have a secret code group to tell you where the fish are biting. They may be getting a good bite at the snail, 499 or 474 area.

View attachment 1310203

Yea for sure. Definitely something going on out there.
    Screenshot_20210818-013534_MarineTraffic.jpg

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Yea for sure. Definitely something going on out there.
    View attachment 1310208

On the vesselfinder, it shows the Polaris Supreme turned off the AIS about 12 hours ago. I don't have their exact location, but its in the general location. The marinetraffic shows the PS is at the Tanner Banks area. Maybe that is the hot spot. Just looking at the AA's path, it looks like they are heading towards the snails area. We had a good bite there last year around this time. I wouldn't doubt the area is full of fish again who is willing to play.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    On the vesselfinder, it shows the Polaris Supreme turned off the AIS about 12 hours ago. I don't have their exact location, but its in the general location. Just looking at the AA's path, it looks like its toward the snails area. We had a good bite there last year around this time. I wouldn't doubt the area is full of fish again who is willing to play.
    Still getting comfortable going further offshore. If conditions are favorable I will check it out. 3 hr drive for our boat though. Haha

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Headed out yesterday from San Pedro at 7am. The sky was overcast and very calm.
    View attachment 1310199View attachment 1310200

We started our search near Avalon Bank. We saw surfacing fish at 8am a few miles nw of Avalon bank. We stopped and waited to see if they would come up again but no luck. Started trolling a cedar plug and DTX minnow as we searched around Avalon Bank. Marked several bait balls as we headed towards East End.
    View attachment 1310196
    View attachment 1310198
    View attachment 1310201

There were about half a dozen boats near the quarry so we decided to check down towards the 152 and 277. No surface action or kelp paddies. We didn't really get a complete look at 277. Decided to call it a day earlier and head back. Probably should have worked further west of our track or maybe try long soak at Avalon Bank. Saw the most bait there by far.
    View attachment 1310202
    There were some fish landed reported on the radio. A dorado on a 6in cedar plug off east end Cat and a BFT ~30lbs on a long soak sardine a few miles off east end on the west side of the slide. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines!

Based on the reports from the cattle boats, it looks like its a little more west of the 277 area. You were definitely in the region where the fish are located. We got skunked last weekend so I know what you went through. Thanks for your report!

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    autowiz
    autowiz
    Will be out thurs @ 277 area. Will call out if I find fish to this group. My Boat name is Tuna Can on ch 72.
    Be Safe
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Still getting comfortable going further offshore. If conditions are favorable I will check it out. 3 hr drive for our boat though. Haha

No problem. I know what you mean. When the wind starts blowing, it can get rough out there. We have a center console and it can get wet at times. If I get any more information, I will let you know. We plan to head out on Thursday with about 3 boats so hopefully we will be in the area where the fish are biting.

F
    Frank B
    I'll be out Thurs too... what's your handle ?
    Upvote 0
    flytie
    flytie
    Will be out Thursday as well. Flytie on 72 or 65. Radio is on scan. Invader with a bracket and outriggers. No T Top.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    No problem. I know what you mean. When the wind starts blowing, it can get rough out there. We have a center console and it can get wet at times. If I get any more information, I will let you know. We plan to head out on Thursday with about 3 boats so hopefully we will be in the area where the fish are biting.
    Right on 👍 Good luck on Thursday! We will probably try again later this week. Just not sure which day yet.

autowiz
    autowiz
    Thurs the Tuna Can will fish the 277 area and ch 72.
    Be Safe
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    There is quite a bit of activity in this area near the southern end of Clemente today. A lot of the San Diego fleet are there right now trolling.

1629301971358.png

Dana Pride and Western Pride are both down in the 209 area. It looks like DP was heading back to the same spot yesterday, but saw some activity in the 209 and made a course change. The 209 is closer to their location so it make sense to make a course change if they saw activity. Both boats are working together.

1629302225868.png

Reactions: flytie
    Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    There is quite a bit of activity in this area near the southern end of Clemente today. A lot of the San Diego fleet are there right now trolling.

View attachment 1310246

Dana Pride and Western Pride are both down in the 209 area. It looks like DP was heading back to the same spot yesterday, but saw some activity in the 209 and made a course change. The 209 is closer to their location so it make sense to make a course change if they saw activity. Both boats are working together.

View attachment 1310247

Yea, looks like the action shifted west. Found a topographic layer available.
    20210818_092339.jpg

Looks like Polaris Supreme went back and anchored on Tanner bank.
    Screenshot_20210818-091457_MarineTraffic.jpg

Reactions: ShadowX
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    On Vesselfinder, you can switch to Navionics map and see the depth lines and locations. The TopGun 80 is sitting on the Bishop Rock in the Cortez Bank while Polaris Supreme is on the Tanner Bank. You can find useful information on what depths the fish are located just by switching the maps.

Cortez Bank:
    1629305896603.png

Tanner Bank:
    1629306091720.png

Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    On Vesselfinder, you can switch to Navionics map and see the depth lines and locations. The TopGun 80 is sitting on the Bishop Rock in the Cortez Bank while Polaris Supreme is on the Tanner Bank. You can find useful information on what depths the fish are located just by switching the maps.

Cortez Bank:
    View attachment 1310255

Tanner Bank:
    View attachment 1310257
    Cool. Do you need the pro for that feature or the subscription?

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Cool. Do you need the pro for that feature or the subscription?

Its free. On the PC version, you click on this icon and switch to the Navionics map. The standard and simple map is easier to find the ships. You can switch to the Navionics map to get an idea of the depth and the location relative to the contour lines.

1629307360778.png

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Great info, buddy. Even Alan and the Dreamer are out hunting on the southwest side of the Slide.

Currents are pushing north northwest The boats seem to be finding fish stacking up on the south east edge of banks in the nutrient dense water in about the 68* water.

Good plan for tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    Its free. On the PC version, you click on this icon and switch to the Navionics map. The standard and simple map is easier to find the ships. You can switch to the Navionics map to get an idea of the depth and the location relative to the contour lines.

View attachment 1310260
    Oh ok.
    Where did you find the topo setting?? After MT upgraded I cant' seem to get my map to look like it used to.
    Open the menu on the top right > settings > map options. Select hybrid or satellite style map

Upvote 0

racecarchamp

May 30, 2018
    ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    none
    Oh ok.

Open the menu on the top right > settings > map options. Select hybrid or satellite style map

Oh ok.

Oh ok.

Oh ok.

Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 11-46-16 MarineTraffic Global Ship Tracking Intelligence AIS Marine T...png

I have mine on Satellite but it looks like this instead....

Upvote 0

racecarchamp

May 30, 2018
    ca
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    none
    On the PC site they have a premium feature called daylight. Wonder if that's it. 🤔
    Seems like overall there are more options on the phone app vs PC. Oh well, I like to have it on my computer when I'm supposed to be working and miss how it would display (with contours). Thanks for troubleshooting with me.

Upvote 0