TJzTJ

Piscatorial Postulant
Aug 23, 2019
Kitsap
Name
Trevor
Boat
“Mas Besos” - 2500 Stabicraft Ultracab XL
Ran out yesterday. Was the first time for Mas Besos and me at the helm to lose sight of land. It was a near perfect day to do it.

We bracketed this week as when we would do a one day offshore adventure and chose yesterday based on the conditions. 5 ft combined seas on a 12 sec interval is about as good as one could hope for and on that front we weren’t disappointed.

I had been watching SST trends for a couple weeks and reading anything I could find on pointers of where to start looking. Based on all that, we decided to essentially run due West out of Westport until we found warm blue water.

We crossed the (very mild) bar at 0530 along with a horde of folks headed out mostly for halibut. As they all split off for their adventures, we kept going and crossed the 125 line after a couple hours. We started trolling when we found 62.5F blue water.

We trolled for about 8 hours out there in a box that was essentially 46° 50’ to 47° and 125° 10’ to 125° 20. We made a meandering track that looked like something from the old Family Circus cartoons but that was the general vicinity. Water warmed to 65.9F by 2 pm.

We never found any sign of feeding by birds or fish. We saw a small pod of porpoise at one point. Accidentally trolled right next to a big school of bait that was seemingly unconcerned shimmering just under the surface. Not a single bite. Nothing on the radio indicated that anyone else in that neck of the woods found them either.

Pulled up around 4 and beat feet back home on lake-like conditions completely skunked.

Catching aside, it was a beautiful day fishing. :)

Tight lines.

Attachments

Last edited:

kwik_wurk

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Thanks for the update, seems like the weather held up but the fish didn’t come to the party. Curious to see how much further west boats go today.

Reactions: TJzTJ

TJzTJ

Piscatorial Postulant
Aug 23, 2019
Kitsap
Name
Trevor
Boat
Hmm... the movie should be 3 second of the boat running 30 mph over lake-flat blue water...

TJzTJ

Piscatorial Postulant
Aug 23, 2019
Kitsap
Name
Trevor
Boat
Trying again on the video

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
thx for the report. I almost went for tuna yesterday too, but decided Halibut was enough fun for one day.

Gmac23

Jul 8, 2019
WA
Name
G McMichael
Boat
Mainstem
Dang! Recent chloro image makes it looked like you should have kept going west - to about the 125.29 or 30, where the water really gets blue. I hope to find out Tuesday or Weds if they are there and willing to come up out there. The mileage on the image in nautical miles - so it's about 63 statute miles, which is of course not the same as statutory...

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 6.21.16 PM.png

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Dang! Recent chloro image makes it looked like you should have kept going west - to about the 125.29 or 30, where the water really gets blue. I hope to find out Tuesday or Weds if they are there and willing to come up out there. The mileage on the image in nautical miles - so it's about 63 statute miles, which is of course not the same as statutory...

View attachment 1185513
Went there And south today, nada

TJzTJ

Piscatorial Postulant
Aug 23, 2019
Kitsap
Name
Trevor
Boat

View attachment 1185513
Which app/website is that? I have been using temp break.com.

Gmac23

Jul 8, 2019
WA
Name
G McMichael
Boat
Mainstem
Which app/website is that? I have been using temp break.com.
satfish, pretty new but I am impressed. I think they offer a free trial subscription. I reviewed it for them and got a 6 month trial. Love it so far. Good guys who make it easy to see all the stuff I used to go to 10 different places for.

FVSerenity

Tuna Boss FV HappyHours
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Ran straight out past GHC and turned south at the deep blue, zigzagged in and out of the green blue. The waves turned us around at 44/30

Jay Bjorn

Norge
Aug 8, 2017
Everett, Wa
www.chinookservices.com
Name
Jay
Boat
Robalo 265
Ran straight out past GHC and turned south at the deep blue, zigzagged in and out of the green blue. The waves turned us around at 44/30
Thanks for the #'s/report. I'm going to head out of CR heading SW next week. Will keep you all posted. Lets hope this wind transition coming Sunday morning form the south will push them in.

Reactions: FVSerenity

blindpig

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 25, 2010
Lynden
Name
Erik
Boat
25' Kingfisher

View attachment 1185513
I'm confused. Everything I've ever read says .2 up to 1. That deep blue is a .01...Am I missing something?

Gmac23

Jul 8, 2019
WA
Name
G McMichael
Boat
Mainstem
I'm confused. Everything I've ever read says .2 up to 1. That deep blue is a .01...Am I missing something?
Sorry to add to confusion. IMO bluer the better - and a sharp break in color is better. Based on what we saw out there on 8/7 - the area we started was in that 0.1 (mg/cubic m) range and it was not that cobalt blue that we love. When we ran farther out (and north) it was that good blue color - which would have been more like a 0.05 on this scale. Fishing was crappy everywhere - but better in the bluer water (ended with 5). Still calibrating my eye to the satfish data. Not sure what the white numbers right side of scale bar refers to (jumps from 29 to 19 pretty quickly at the spot I ended track in the image posted). I'll email the developer and ask him what that number is and report back.

andy hansen

Captain on The TYRANT.
Jul 31, 2014
Westport,Wa.
Name
andy
Boat
Bounty pilothouse
Ran out yesterday. Was the first time for Mas Besos and me at the helm to lose sight of land. It was a near perfect day to do it.

We bracketed this week as when we would do a one day offshore adventure and chose yesterday based on the conditions. 5 ft combined seas on a 12 sec interval is about as good as one could hope for and on that front we weren’t disappointed.

I had been watching SST trends for a couple weeks and reading anything I could find on pointers of where to start looking. Based on all that, we decided to essentially run due West out of Westport until we found warm blue water.

We crossed the (very mild) bar at 0530 along with a horde of folks headed out mostly for halibut. As they all split off for their adventures, we kept going and crossed the 125 line after a couple hours. We started trolling when we found 62.5F blue water.

We trolled for about 8 hours out there in a box that was essentially 46° 50’ to 47° and 125° 10’ to 125° 20. We made a meandering track that looked like something from the old Family Circus cartoons but that was the general vicinity. Water warmed to 65.9F by 2 pm.

We never found any sign of feeding by birds or fish. We saw a small pod of porpoise at one point. Accidentally trolled right next to a big school of bait that was seemingly unconcerned shimmering just under the surface. Not a single bite. Nothing on the radio indicated that anyone else in that neck of the woods found them either.

Pulled up around 4 and beat feet back home on lake-like conditions completely skunked.

Catching aside, it was a beautiful day fishing. :)

Tight lines.
Good job thank you for the update I will be watching for your posts in the future DONT give up you will find them

Gmac23

Jul 8, 2019
WA
Name
G McMichael
Boat
Mainstem
Sorry to add to confusion. IMO bluer the better - and a sharp break in color is better. Based on what we saw out there on 8/7 - the area we started was in that 0.1 (mg/cubic m) range and it was not that cobalt blue that we love. When we ran farther out (and north) it was that good blue color - which would have been more like a 0.05 on this scale. Fishing was crappy everywhere - but better in the bluer water (ended with 5). Still calibrating my eye to the satfish data. Not sure what the white numbers right side of scale bar refers to (jumps from 29 to 19 pretty quickly at the spot I ended track in the image posted). I'll email the developer and ask him what that number is and report back.
Here's the skinny on the chlorophyll scale on Satfish:

"The chloro scale is off - it's a known bug that I keep trying to get our guys to fix but gets pushed down the fix list. Basically it's doing a linear interpolation from 0 to 100 instead of doing a log-scale interpolation, which is how chlorophyll is actually measured. Good catch!"

So - it sounds like they'll get that number in the units we are used to. The color changes are still the key (and finding the damned fish up high enough to eat our stuff).

Hope the WTC guys stacked some up somewhere.