8/12 Big YFT on the chunk God is Good

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by coueshunter, Aug 13, 2016.

1. coueshunter

coueshunter Member

Name:
    Shelton B.
    Boat:
    Looking for one. =)
    Short Story:
    8/11- 100 miles of hunting, 181 area, no fish
    8/12- 100 miles of hunting, 43, 182 area, almost no fish. Low on gas, started chunking between the 181 and 182 and after an hour, landed a #70 Yellowfin Tuna on 60 pound line with a mackerel chunk. God is Good!!!!!
    20160812152911_IMG_3204.JPG 20160812042947_IMG_3154.JPG 20160812191520_IMG_3330.JPG
    20160812152758_IMG_3197.JPG

Long Story:

Left Flagstaff, AZ on Wednesday with the same dream as you all; monster Bluefin Tuna on our own boat. My dad, 2 brothers and I picked up our buddy Robert in Phx on the way and the chance at these fish really got us excited as Robert had the info on the kite.

8/11
    Didn't get to bed that night until 1am and couldn't get out of bed until 5am. Left Shelter Island at 7:30 and made easy macks while tied to the bait barge. Headed towards the 181 and found breaking #15-30 yfts all over the place but we couldn't get them to go on anything. Finally, my brother Bennett hooked a fish on the popper but I think he accidentally bit it because we lost him really really quick. Never had another fish on for the rest of the day and we searched a bunch of water, and fished a bunch of different ways.

8/12
    Got out at 4 and made easy bait again. Headed for the 43 and at 10 miles out, we realized that we accidentally turned off the bait tank and killed almost every bait. Absolute heartbreak. Too late to turn back. Get to the 43 and see lots of kite flyers. Get ours out and give it our best for 5 hours. Nada. Running low on gas so we kill the engine in a fishy area and get a few of our last remaining baits out. 2 hours and nothing.

Start motoring for home and find another patch of fish (Right between the 181 and 182). Kill the engine, and start to chum all our dead deans and macks. Schools of tuna were breezing around the boat, we tried absolutely everything. Poppers, mega bait, flat fall, sardine, mackerel on a dropper loop at 100ft, everything and they wouldn't bite. At one point, I saw 80ish pound fish cruise right past the bow just under the water. Action was high but we were getting bummed as nothing would bite.

After the chum slick was looking pretty (thank you Lord for killing our bait), we got a chunk out and kept fishing. Then, an amazing shape swims under the boat and not a single one of us could identify it. It came by at 10 feet deep as slow as a mola mola but its color was like a Dorado but it was huge. Absolutely unreal. My flat fall went right past its face and he didnt even flinch. Keep fishing then all of the sudden, my youngest brother (16) Davis sees the fish come back and inhale a chunk right at the boat. We all start screaming. Davis is screaming "GIANT YELLOWFIN WITH HUGE SICKLES!!!!!!!" We are all freaking out. Robert reels in the chunk he has out and gets a new one out. The fish eats all but the one with the hook right before our eyes. Roberts covers the hook better and gets it back out. Immediately slurped 5 yards off the corner. We are all screaming so loud. I definitely lost my voice.

Robert fights the fish for 15 minutes and graciously lets me pull on him for the rest of the fight. Maybe 15 more minutes. Definitely the strongest fish of my life and Ive caught A LOT of fish. Finally the giant surfaces and Robert sticks him in the head. We are going crazy. 2 days, 200 miles, we were totally wore out and bummed out but this fish changed everything and now we are on cloud nine. Total group effort, everyone played a huge roll in harvesting this fish. We even got the hookup on video with a real video camera not a gopro!!!!! (Interesting observation- the Independence was drifting in our same area yesterday while we were catching our fish and I looked up their reports and they said they found a school of yfts in the afternoon and caught 25, 22 over 70 pounds. So crazy).

Our fish weighed right at #70. God is so good to us. He decided to bless us even though we were being pouters. An epic end to an interesting trip. Hopefully we will make it back this fall but if we dont, we are so happy with this yellowfin of a lifetime for San Diego waters.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    brokenseal, jsl, j ray and 42 others like this.
  2. Steelhead1

Steelhead1 Member

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 250
    Great report, I admire your persistence and that you were rewarded for your efforts! Congrats
    Also nice to see some larger yft around.

3. muletrain

muletrain Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Congrats on a really nice fish. Nothing better than watching that fish take your bait in the corner of your boat.

Enjoy the fish

Now go back to flagstaff. That's one less fish I can catch next month on my trip

Haha

4. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE ONE Shelton! Way to stick it out. LOL Great read and report !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  5. jcs612

jcs612 On Deck

Name:
    JC
    Boat:
    My Mojo
    Great report! Your trails and tribulations resulted in perfect timing.
    Congratulations!

divegod1 likes this.
  6. collector21

collector21 Time to fish.

Name:
    Bill Achtenberg
    Boat:
    Sea Jay-Trophy 2002 WA 97 New Merc 150 EFI 4 Stroke/14' Alumacraft
    From on e zonie to another congrats, nice fish. I'll be taking my boat over for 4 days next Sunday and will be looking for some YFT and hopefully a Dodo or 2. BFT would just be a bonus. Been over 2 times this year for nada fo far. Last august was good to us zonies though as we landed some YFT. We should get togther sometime and do a buddy trip.

7. Frogznlogz

Frogznlogz Member

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    na
    John 21:3-6

Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.”

They said to him, “We are going with you also.” They went out and immediatelygot into the boat, and that night they caught nothing. 4 But when the morning had now come, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. 5 Then Jesus said to them,“Children, have you any food?”

They answered Him, “No.”

6 And He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will findsome.” So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.

You have to remember God is always good. Congratulations on the fish!

Jig Stick, BigIron53, Myfish and 5 others like this.
  8. flyliner

flyliner @therealflyliner

Name:
    Jonathan
    Boat:
    31' Cabo Express
    So awesome. Congrats!

9. Hardcor

Hardcor Hardcore

Name:
    Hardcore
    Boat:
    Hardcore
    Great story and a beautiful Yellowfin Tuna

10. Wasitrytofish

Wasitrytofish Member

Name:
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat:
    between boats...
    same thing happened to me regarding bait and 40 miles to the 181 a few years back. disappointed that we had a huge lady of yellow tail loaded under and we thought, well, throw in a chunk, it's all we have.
    the yellow went ballistic and we left the paddy with about a dozen. my wife and 3 boys were there to enjoy the madness.
    ended up blowing a rod on my motor 1 mile from the harbor. same trip.
    but it was one I will never forget!

nice report, that fish is a dream fish nor my family. congrats

11. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    Best news I have heard all week. God is good

Jig Stick, rick rouland and SoCalAvet like this.
  12. tresbien

tresbien No.... But Willing To Learn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
    so cool gentlemen congrats on a quality yellowfin EPIC

13. limowreck1

limowreck1 A Complete Wreck

Name:
    Scott Campbell
    Boat:
    Grady White Bimini 306
    Glad you were rewarded for al of your hard work. Congrats!

14. Black-is-Back

Black-is-Back Wishin i was Fishin

Name:
    Hey you
    Boat:
    245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
    I believe that's the 1st report of YF eating the chunk this year. That's good news!

Congrats on a beautiful fish!

God is great, beer is good & YF can be crazy!

People Are Crazy https://g.co/kgs/LqSYC9

15. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    Congrats!! Such a great story. Glad you guys finally got one and scored good!!

Awesome to see other Christians on this board! God is good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jig Stick, Ian C, popx5 and 5 others like this.
  16. LedZeppfin

LedZeppfin Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Cattle Boats
    Glad you kept going and didn't give up. Your persistence paid off well. Congrats!

Last year we were at the 182 ridge area and used sardine chunks from the bait that died overnight. Bait supply was short last year so we got a scoop on Friday afternoon and another scoop early on Saturday morning before leaving the harbor. We cut them up into 1 inch squares. Every 20 seconds or so we would toss a few chunks out. It kept quality size yellowfin around us all day too. We even got bit on a few chunks just letting them drift.

Blackfish likes this.
  17. Deep_blue

Deep_blue Cristy J

Name:
    Robert Jones
    Boat:
    Parker 2520
    Nice one Shelton.

Glad you enjoyed your trip out.

18. john123

john123 Newbie

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    23 WELLCRAFT
    God is great! congratulations

Jig Stick, Blackfish and rick rouland like this.
  19. b-reel

b-reel Member

Name:
    HP
    Boat:
    none yet
    He is good all the time!

20. fishytaco

fishytaco Newbie

Name:
    Quan
    Boat:
    17 Mako
    Congrats on your catch! Persistent pays of for.