Floatflyer

Hope to Catch a Fish!
Apr 8, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Floatflyer
Boat
24' Bayliner, Ni Modo
Today was about my last crabbing effort, just to get on the water and stay cool, get rid of some bait, and maybe get a few more for the freezer.

Left out of Cornet Bay and was headed toward the Hope Island area. As I got near the island I saw several commercial/tribal boats and many pot buoys. I changed direction and went back towards Deception pass a little bit to where it looked like fewer pots.

Dropped my 4 pots, baited with salmon carcs and cockles. Let them soak for 2 hrs while I motored around giving a house guest a scenic ride, had lunch and then pulled pots. 2 of the pots had over 20 crab each and the other 2 had more than 10 crab each.

The bad news is that almost all of them were small and/or female. We got 2 legal crab! This is not unexpected as the area has been pounded all season as has most of the "normal" crabbing areas. Monday we went out of Oak Harbor and soaked a total of 7 pots(4 then 3) and got 7 legal and they were barely legal.

I am glad that I had much better success earlier in the season and saved some for the long and wet fall/winter. Still, a lovely day on the water and my visitors always say how beautiful it is around here. FF

Reactions: EdG

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
I love the crab up there! They are far tastier than other areas of the sound I feel.

Thanks for the report.

GI Doc

Aug 7, 2010
Olympia/WA/U.S.A
Name
Breaking Wind
Boat
26' Grady White
Crabbing in South sound is horrible, I go out of MA13. I crabbed at mouth of Gray's harbor in Westport on Tues and got 7 keepers in two pulls, four pots, 1 hour soak each.

Jiff

Jun 30, 2009
Lynnwood, Anacortes WA
www.flickr.com
Name
Jeff
Boat
'95 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2655
No doubt, you gotta do your crabbin' before the tribes wipe out an area. We did okay on the 8-1 opener at Similk Bay. For the & 7 South opener we wasted most of Thursday at Burrows Bay. We then went to Similk and did okay. We later found out that the Indians had cleaned out Burrows the days right before our opener. It'd be nice to know where and when the Indians had been before you go out. I've stopped at the Swinomish's port and asked twice. The answers were, "I don't know"

SeaSport2200

Dec 18, 2015
Birdsview, WA
Name
Kris
Boat
SeaSport 2200
Ha ha....you really think they would tell you where they have been crabbing? Burrows doesn't really hold a lot of crab for some reason and I think they move out of the area in the summer....winter is decent though. Still quite a few crab to be found. Just look for areas without pots and a long soak sure helps.

SeaSport2200

Dec 18, 2015
Birdsview, WA
Name
Kris
Boat
SeaSport 2200
Plenty of crab today....everything under 7" went back. Long soaks eliminate the smaller crab. Wind was sure bad this afternoon though!

Wild Bill

Remind me again why I own a boat
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Yep the wind was whipping pretty good yesterday. My customers were making deadliest catch references as I pulled the gear. With a little prospecting and overnight soaks the crabbing is still quite good as we had 31 keepers in 4 pots. Despite the reports of slow salmon fishing there are fish to be had as well. Can't get them at home doing yard work!

SeaSport2200

Dec 18, 2015
Birdsview, WA
Name
Kris
Boat
SeaSport 2200
Word sure travels fast though on good crabbing areas.....if I see more than a half a dozen buoys I move on to the next area. Good luck and good bait sure increases your productivity.

wood2turn

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 17, 2009
Oak Harbor, WA
Name
Terry
Boat
14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
Over the years I have found that the later in the season I Crab the deeper I have to go.
I have changed my normal 50' lines out for 150' ones now and I always carry extension line just in case that will convert them into 300'.
I have been known to use my Shrimp Pot lines though too...

Reactions: Hunter Dan