7ft or 8ft Rod for half days?

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
8' all the way. It'll cast a bait further and I like it better for flylining and tossing jigs. Rock fishing either way. Get comfortable, you're gonna be grinding on the handle all day.

Reactions: kbray001

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Rock fishing will depend more on the depth and the drift. Lots of line straight down and weight up in the 12-16 oz. range. You need a good reel you like and a rod with enough backbone to pull up the weight plus the fish. Braid is the way to go here. Many anglers prefer a shorter rod for this. It's a good application for a 2-speed reel and a stiffer rod. An old-school tuna stick would work fine, or you can use a heavier live bait rod. It's gonna depend somewhat on conditions and how deep the boat is fishing.

Fieldtoflies

Oct 17, 2020
San Diego
Name
Grant
Boat
Varies
Rock fishing will depend more on the depth and the drift. Lots of line straight down and weight up in the 12-16 oz. range. You need a good reel you like and a rod with enough backbone to pull up the weight plus the fish. Braid is the way to go here. Many anglers prefer a shorter rod for this. It's a good application for a 2-speed reel and a stiffer rod. An old-school tuna stick would work fine, or you can use a heavier live bait rod. It's gonna depend somewhat on conditions and how deep the boat is fishing.
Alright thanks. Can I yo-yo with the 8 foot?

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
I like eight-footers for yoyo. My first choice. Agreed on the Sealines and I like the Diawa Proteus rods as well. I have been sipping a bit of the United Composites Koolaid though.

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
Name
Julian
Boat
Boat hoe
Daiwa VIP rods and Sealine X-SHA reels. Cheap, reliable and tough as nails 😎
Wait but ur name is shimano penn! And cheech is right you need a couple different options to play the game at the highest level but the 8 footer will be able to do most things well, throw bait and be able to throw some sort of iron/colt sniper. I like the older brown blank teramar in the 15-35 lb range with a lexa. Good luck and remember you can catch fish with what you have just be patient and learn from the guys catching fish.

Reactions: Cheech

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    If primarily for bait then 7ft.

For jigs longer would help you gain casting distance. Also if fishing the bottom when you lift the tip your jig will cover more water.

Various trade offs. So right tool for the job. Eventually you'll acquire many tools.

Reactions: sealskinner