74.2lb So Cal White Sea Bass--Still Can't Believe It!

PENN

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Saw the article in the sports section of todays paper,that is one big sea bass.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
I messaged a guy that work for Scripps that may have some insight on the "wound / marks"....
It has been a while since he has been on bd but worth a shot, ide like to know!
Congrats on the pig!

Upvote 0

dcarlisle

Captain
Jun 25, 2008
The Island
Name
Dave
Boat
Boatless
Congrats, I have mad respect for you kayak fisherman. If I had caught that toad, I would have probably flipped over and drowned

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
That's one nice toad. My PB SB was caught on a yak as well, but it was 34 lbs. I caught it off broad beach.
You got to love landing on a beach with SB up to your crotch! Way to go my man!

Upvote 0

Rusty Rod

Almost A Member
Feb 28, 2015
Name
Jeff
Boat
26 Mackinaw
Wow! that thing is huge!

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Name
kyle
Boat
titanic
Absolutely one beautiful fish of a lifetime sir, congrats!! The marks on the sea bass are of a scientific theory. Mother nature places these marks directly proportional to the weighted centering of the fish, so that you know exactly where to "pre-drill" your lag bolt when you mount the sumbitch!:cool:

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
First off congratulations, that's a great way to break in the 2016 season.

I suspect you caught that fish BECAUSE you were in a yak and not on a boat. There's something to be said about being quiet and stealthy, particularly when big seabass spook easily. WSB don't get that big by accident and that bad boy has likely eluded many anglers over the years.

Thanks for getting the fishing juices flowing and motivating all of us!

Reactions: jeremyv75
Upvote 0

fishsmith

Captain
May 16, 2008
murrieta/ca/usa
Name
Jim
Boat
21' Proline "MarLinz"
I'm not sure and from what I remember neither was anyone else. I don't have time to pull up any pics of my fish from my desktop and I don't have any on this phone but between just me and my friends we have at least a few fish with this mark and if you start watching all the toads come in you'll start to see it more and more often.

It does seem that it's only on large fish and could be small males biting the big females in the spawning process one person pointed out. Your guess is as good as mine. They still taste good:)

So... a seabass hickey?

Reactions: The Freediver
Upvote 0

jayyyy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Epic catch and first posting..........As you drop the mic and walk off stage.

Upvote 0

dixonrick

Team Dixon Fishing
Jan 16, 2012
Torrance,Ca
Name
Rick Dixon
Boat
22Ft. Ranger Bay
Absolutely fantastic!!! You are now the famous "yac" guy that caught the
fricken huge 74+ WSB at a location that shall now be nameless!!!
Congratulations, you deserve it!!!

Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Holy Crap Man..... you will be the king for some time to come sir ....well done !!! Took a Whiskey shot in your honor sir !! Wow !!

Reactions: rick Jackson
Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Also read the WON article. I barely believed you when you called "lets talk hookup" . Bad ass fish.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
It's funny how many people think these are spear holes and I always used to also. A lot of fish over 60lbs have those marks. I can assure you that they are not spear holes though as I've seen them way too many times. There was a thread on a spear site where lots of people posted pics of the same thing. I've seen these marks on some 40lb class fish too but not as often.

GREAT catch by the way and congrats. That's a fish of a lifetime!

From my source:

"I am the Mark who worked at Scripps (retired a couple yrs back). Those marks on WSBs are caused by the parasite Trypanorhyncha, a tapeworm that can infect seabass, striped bass, salmon and steelhead, sturgeon, probably other fish. The round, partially-healed looking marks on either side are the giveaway, often mistaken for gaff, spear or seal bite marks"

Reactions: Fishdood
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Pacific
www.youtube.com
Name
Ben
Boat
22ft Boston Whaler Outrage
From my source:

"I am the Mark who worked at Scripps (retired a couple yrs back). Those marks on WSBs are caused by the parasite Trypanorhyncha, a tapeworm that can infect seabass, striped bass, salmon and steelhead, sturgeon, probably other fish. The round, partially-healed looking marks on either side are the giveaway, often mistaken for gaff, spear or seal bite marks"
That is GREAT to know! Thanks so much. There are many perplexed fisherman that would love to know that.

Upvote 0

FoolinFish4Fun

Friggin Fish are Freaky Fun to Fool
Sep 17, 2011
San Tan Valley, AZ USA
Name
Tim
Boat
The best kine - Not Mine!!
Wow! That is one beautiful Ghost. Congrats, Sir! That catch will be remembered long after the last tasty bite has been consumed. Fish of a lifetime for sure. I am in awe, impressed, and beside myself with jealousy. You Sir, are my inspiration for 2016. Thanks for sharing!!

Upvote 0