74.2lb So Cal White Sea Bass--Still Can't Believe It!

PENN
Apr 17, 2014
Name
Brian
Boat
Kayak
Fun day on the pond Thursday. 74.2 pounds, 5 feet long, 32 inch girth, 12 inch tail width.
20160128_101150.jpg

Freaked a few people out on the beach. Really looked like it came out of Birch Aquarium after being hand feed 14 inch Bonita for the past 15 years. And no, that's not my gaff shot. Although I did gaff her, there was a hole on the exact same spot on the other side.
20160128_122916.jpg
Yup, some spearo nailed her in a previous year and she somehow lived another day, thank God for me!
No special tip to give anybody, just time on the water, right place, right time. Call me Lucky, I'll take it!!!!!!!!

And just because if your reading this site you have the same freakish passion as I do, you'll understand if I told you after she was landed I kept fishing and caught what I thought was her big brother 5 minutes later. Turned out to be her 1st cousin Mr. Black. Safely revived and released of course. Then I PADDLED in since Mirage Drive was rendered unusable due to this gal taking up the whole yak. Somehow it didn't bother me.
20160128_081540-1.jpg

Only thing better than catching this beast was eating her. Used the Rack of White Seabass swimming with grilled potatoes from www.fishermansbelly.com
If you like to eat your catch, this is the site for terrific recipes just for our SoCal saltwater fish. Check it out and give one recipe a try, I've tried several and never been anything but ecstatic. Great site!
Life is good, go getum boys and girls, there out there!

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Nice one!!!!

Upvote 0

chef gabe

Eat the collars!
Aug 23, 2014
Dana Point
Name
Gabe
Boat
Aqua Pazza (translates to Crazy Water and this is the name of an Italian Fishermans Stew)
Fun day on the pond Thursday. 74.2 pounds, 5 feet long, 32 inch girth, 12 inch tail width.View attachment 741566
Freaked a few people out on the beach. Really looked like it came out of Birch Aquarium after being hand feed 14 inch Bonita for the past 15 years. And no, that's not my gaff shot. Although I did gaff her, there was a hole on the exact same spot on the other side. View attachment 741567 Yup, some spearo nailed her in a previous year and she somehow lived another day, thank God for me!
No special tip to give anybody, just time on the water, right place, right time. Call me Lucky, I'll take it!!!!!!!!

And just because if your reading this site you have the same freakish passion as I do, you'll understand if I told you after she was landed I kept fishing and caught what I thought was her big brother 5 minutes later. Turned out to be her 1st cousin Mr. Black. Safely revived and released of course. Then I PADDLED in since Mirage Drive was rendered unusable due to this gal taking up the whole yak. Somehow it didn't bother me.
View attachment 741568
Only thing better than catching this beast was eating her. Used the Rack of White Seabass swimming with grilled potatoes from www.fishermansbelly.com
If you like to eat your catch, this is the site for terrific recipes just for our SoCal saltwater fish. Check it out and give one recipe a try, I've tried several and never been anything but ecstatic. Great site!
Life is good, go getum boys and girls, there out there!

Wow!!! Congrats to you. What a nice WSB!!! I was also lucky enough in early 2015. Caught one (60 lbs) with the same spear hole that was healed up. Lucky for us both!!!! Did you catch on a mac, dine, squid....??? Did you by chance check stomach? Lot's of red crab still around.

Upvote 0

Catalina CD

Cockdie Win's!!!
May 14, 2011
Avalon, CA
Name
Jamie Hmielak
Boat
Steiger Craft 21 Miami
That's my dream fish! Congrat's!!! Yes, where were you at? Hoping to see some of those toads make it to Catalina over the next couple months. Just need to get the squid to find their way here.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Beautiful breeder. That's an old gal and a F.O.L. congrats on your hard work. And please don't ask the man where he caught it ! lol... Off the beach in the kelp line while in stealth mode.

Upvote 0