73 lb White Sea Bass in San Quintin

Jan 27, 2015
Name
Andrew Rowland
Boat
Charters
EL ROSARIO/SAN QUINTIN. Great group of return customers from the San Francisco Bay area and Oxnard made up this group of anxious fishermen. El Rosario and Geronimo Island were on tap for Day #1 and our goal was to load up on those famous Calico that make this area their home year round. This area has always produced some of the best Calico fishing any where. We were up early for the ride into the launching area and got off the beach just after daylight. It was a beautiful day and we were all getting excited on the short ride out. The kelp was just perfect and we all thought it would be a great day. As soon as we pulled into the first big line of kelp the water turned almost red. It was full of red crab or small lobster everywhere. In all my years of fishing these waters I have never seen such numbers of “red crab”. I knew immediately that our day would be tough as the water was full of food for the calico and that we were going to be behind the eight ball. We toughed it out and brought home some nice white fish and had a great lunch once back on shore; but today, the fish won. We only boated a few Calico and none too big from an area where we normally load up. But that’s fishing and we had another day to go. DAY #2. We were launching from the Old Mill in San Quintin and the weather was being a little bit of a problem. Very windy but the guys decided to try it any way. And for Baltazar whom was on his third trip with us in the past year, I am sure he is glad that we did! After a couple hours of fighting the wind and approaching weather Baltazar Lopez from Oxnard caught what was the biggest rod and reel caught White Sea Bass that we have ever had the pleasure of catching on any of our trips over the past 10 years. After a 20 minute or so battle of skill and wits he landed the 73lb monster White Sea Bass. A great fish that is going to be tough to beat for fish of the year, the world record was 83 lbs and has stood since 1953. The WSB have been there all summer and we were lucky to get that big one. Congratulations to Baltazar for a great job! That one fish made all the “red crab” and weather all quietly go away.

san quintin white sea bass.JPG

bajabills

Calm Seas and foamers, its fun time...
Apr 30, 2012
Ca
Name
Bill
Boat
blackman fishmachine
It may not be a world record, but maybe a line class record. What an amazing catch .

Jan 27, 2015
Name
Andrew Rowland
Boat
Charters
It may not be a world record, but maybe a line class record. What an amazing catch .
It's 10 bls shy of the WR that has stood since 1953 by our research. We've seen a couple speared that came close to this fish over the years, but non line caught such as this one.

Unforgiven1

It's All About The Tuna
Advertiser
Apr 7, 2004
Redondo Beach, California
Name
Drew
Boat
UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
lol maybe 45

Reactions: Whalebreath

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
awesome fish .I moved to colo to hunt more.lol I missed this summer in san Quintin looks like it was a great summer hope the water stays warm im booking a week for feb waiting to here back from juan. id think yellows will still be around this year since the waters so warm what do you guys think ?

rowdy01

Sep 6, 2012
vancouver
Name
rod
Boat
sunked
FYI to all the BIG guys standing next to truly big fish. Maybe show the fish's side as well as the "portfolio" shot. That's where the weight is. This fish really doesn't look like a 73lb fish by the photo, but i do believe it is. I imagine it is a nice thick fish......just wish I could see that.

milligan

Almost A Member
Mar 21, 2009
redlands
Name
mike milligan
Boat
the legend
A lot depends on how the picture is taken, Mike Ciarmetero's fish caught last month weighed 60 lbs. I thought for sure it would be in the high 70's. In any event some one is going to get one in the 80's. Is there a proper scale to document the catch ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: Enrique Daggett