craigen

Got Spooled
Jan 6, 2007
san diego
Name
Craig
Boat
none
I noticed Momoi has an 8x solid braid line that comes in 65 AND 70 pound tests. The stated diameters are .41 and .42mm. So why would they manufacture a line with only a five pound difference and an almost non-existent difference in diameter? Maybe the 65 breaks at 75 and the 70 breaks at 80 :confused:. Unless these lines test at greater than average break strengths, it doesn't make much marketing sense to go to all the trouble to manufacture this. BD'ers have commented on the hollow version but anyone know more about this solid? Cheers...

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I think it is because they are translating PE # to test. PE is diameter based, and depending on material it could have different breaking strength. For example their website shows a chart for a certain style of their 8 strand (Ryujin) with PE4 being 65# and PE4.5 being 70#. My guess is there is more demand to justify particular sizing in Japan. Also, just FWIW, their website shows thinner diameters than what you referenced above (PE4 being 0.33 mm and 65# and PE4.5 being 0.35 mm and 70#).

Upvote 0

craigen

Got Spooled
Jan 6, 2007
san diego
Name
Craig
Boat
none
I think it is because they are translating PE # to test. PE is diameter based, and depending on material it could have different breaking strength. For example their website shows a chart for a certain style of their 8 strand (Ryujin) with PE4 being 65# and PE4.5 being 70#. My guess is there is more demand to justify particular sizing in Japan. Also, just FWIW, their website shows thinner diameters than what you referenced above (PE4 being 0.33 mm and 65# and PE4.5 being 0.35 mm and 70#).
Thanks for your informative response. It makes a bit more sense when looking at PE ratings. But still odd to have such a small difference in line tests. And as we all know, stated diameters are highly variable. I'd like to test the break strength of that 70# or PE4.5.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Aside from actual technical considerations described by esgeo above, maybe it's like the guitarist from This is Spinal Tap who had an amp with a volume knob that went up to eleven. Basically, for when ten just isn't quite enough.

But maybe other reasons it might be useful. Throwing jigs, where 80 pound braid casts better than 65, but if you're throwing 80 it's almost thick enough that straight 40 pound mono is really all you need. Maybe 70-pound would be right in the sweet spot. (Please note that I didn't bother to actually look up diameters of the above examples lol).

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Upvote 0

Rude Baits

Almost A Member
Mar 22, 2012
SD
Name
Tony
Boat
-
Aside from actual technical considerations described by esgeo above, maybe it's like the guitarist from This is Spinal Tap who had an amp with a volume knob that went up to eleven. Basically, for when ten just isn't quite enough.

But maybe other reasons it might be useful. Throwing jigs, where 80 pound braid casts better than 65, but if you're throwing 80 it's almost thick enough that straight 40 pound mono is really all you need. Maybe 70-pound would be right in the sweet spot. (Please note that I didn't bother to actually look up diameters of the above examples lol).

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

"Why not just make 10 louder"?... "These ones go to 11"! Haha. I love that scene so much.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Alright..... we're making one size.... for another industry..... which purchases more than 50% of our TOTAL "production" per year.

The "fishing side".... well.. we did that because we had an additional 20% capacity available.... manufacturing / production wise.

Many sizes and weaves come from various industries and applications.... that actually cross categories well. The "Fishing" part.... well thats just small potatoes 🥔.... as far as the R & D dollars$$. Trickle down works fine for me.

This comes from my industry experience and visits to numerous factories world wide. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    why 70#?
    when they'll snap 60# but wont sniff at 80# :D

W
    woodfish330
    ..... laughing, your right Brother, specially if they're fishing #40 leader. Connected to "either".... the weakest link has become the leader.... not the main. Nice though.... I'm sure many would agree. Me too.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Latest posts