7 days in the hospital MRSA-it can kill you

Discussion in 'Personal News' started by Dos Locos, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Dos Locos

Dos Locos DC4LYFE, RIP Derelict #4

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Parker 21 Special Edition the "Dos Locos"
    I just got out of the hospital for this shit and here is my sorry story:

M.R.S.A.-methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus

I just finished seven days in the hospital fighting this stuff and I am finally at home. I have a central line catheter(PICC line with a 50CM length painful catheter) that goes in my arm and straight to my heart where the home health nurses drop tons of IV antibiotics into pretty much all day long. I started out with a hole in my right arm that you could put your fist through after having emergency surgery on 10/14/08. Twice a day I get to endure the blinding pain of taking the packing out of the wound, cleaning it out, and then re-packing it. It's not a lot of fun let me tell you.

I'm taking the time to tell the story on here so that I can help prevent one person at a minimum from gettting what I got from an alien smuggler on 9/27/2008. Please take the time to read this, it may save your life.

On September 27, 2008 I assisted other Agents from my station with a 1/21 tractor trailer load. The driver, a filthy/nasty/dirty alien smuggler, didn't appear to be ill to me. I helped cuff him and then I searched through the drivers belongings in the cab of the tractor. After ICE/BP processed the load, it was discovered that MCC prison and the US Attorneys Office wouldn't prosecute this dirtbag because he had MRSA and TB. Long and short, he went free after committing a federal felony.

Fast forward to 10/10/08, I'm working a smuggling load/bailout on S-1 (Sunrise Highway) with the BP and tear a fingernail off and get a minor, I mean smaller than your pinkie nail, scratch on my right forearm. I go home scrub it up with Phisohex, put a bandaid on it, no fuss no muss. By Tuesday 10/14, I can't bend my elbow or move my fingers and it looked like there is a volcano on my right forearm even though I've been washing it out and putting neosporyn ointment on it. Finally that night my fellow Agents tell me it's time to go to the hospital. Long and short, 2 hours of emergency surgery later, I now have a hole in my arm you can put your hand through and laboratory confirmed MRSA. 7 days in the hospital, two to three weeks at home with a central line catheter and IV antibiotic Vancomyacin, dressing changes, packing and repacking the wound, these are all VERY painful. Wear gloves, ALL THE TIME, use the antimicrobial gels ALL THE TIME, and do a CA-1 if you even think you have been exposed.

Please click on the link below to educate yourselves by clicking on the following links:

WHAT IS MRSA?

Overview: HA-MRSA | CDC Infection Control in Healthcare

HOW DO I PREVENT IT?:

Prevention & Control: HA-MRSA | Infection Control in Healthcare

Lastly, because I know you sick bastards all like pictures, I have pics of the crater in my arm too, here's a link to some pics of MRSA infections:

what does mrsa look like | mrsa pictures | pictures of staph infection pictures

2. Saluki

Saluki .

Name:
    Mika Tan
    Boat:
    "MoorZilla"
    Damn it Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I hope you come out of this with a full recovery as soon as possible.

3. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    That is pretty scary Chris,hope that shit goes away.

4. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Get well .........

5. FishStalker

FishStalker You're no daisy

Name:
    Charles aka "Ben"
    Boat:
    15' Tupperware Sloop
    Prayers going out for a fast recovery. Hang in there bro...

6. FishingDentist

FishingDentist Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    Nope
    Sorry to hear about that. It's so weird, I was just reading about MRSA in the Journal of th American Dental Association last night. It's becoming much more common. Good luck on your recovery.

Ben

7. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    Holy shit. Take care of yourself and hope you get better soon.

8. captainpound

captainpound Cow Town Addict

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Maya", 23' Neptune "Captain Pound"
    Serious shit here for sure, my Uncle got it last Dec. He was left unable to walk. It almost killed him. To this day he is in and out of the Hospital. Get well soon, I feel for you.

9. tuna taxi

tuna taxi Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jorge
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    Get well soon.

My brother in law is still recovering from Guillian-Barre syndrome which he contracted back around August 1. This thing had him in the hospital for 3 weeks, he was unable to move his legs for the first week and could barely move his arms, he lost 20+ pounds while he was hospitalized and is still recovering. To this day he is still has trouble walking, sometimes he needs help climbing stairs or getting into the shower.Just to add insult to injury my sister(his wife) was laid-off while he was hospitalized.

GET WELL SOON. HOPE YOU HAVE A SPEEDY RECOVERY

10. Mr. Len

Mr. Len Chop 'em if ya got 'em

Name:
    Leonard
    Boat:
    Boatho
    Get Well. Best Wishes for a speedy recovery.

11. Darylfw

Darylfw Member

Name:
    Daryl
    Boat:
    29' Pro-line, The Four D's
    that truly sucks. take it easy and hopefully you will have a fast full recovery.

12. Ol Pedro

Ol Pedro Newbie

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    90' Gambler
    Chris , hope that you get well soon . We didn't know what MRSA was until I caught it . I had it on my left wrist last Tuna Season .I thought that I caught something from a scratch when I was collaring a Swordfish . How wrong I was . My other job sent me to the hospital when the knob on my wrist swelled to twice the size that it should have been within a couple of days . Within three hours of going to the Hospital I had seen three Doctors, had cultures taken , and X-rays . They were afraid that it would eat the bone and had the Oral Surgeon open it up and remove some tissue . They installed a wick and left it open for a couple of days . It was like a dime size hole in the side of my wrist with a fuse sticking out of it . I started to have cold sweats/chills . My joints hurt and the meds they gave me made me sick . It was sort of like going through withdrawals (another story) It took a couple of months for it to heal enough to not bandage it . This is some Serious Shit ! I was lucky .

13. the hook

the hook Bluesman

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    21' Sea Pro the Hook
    They RELEASED HIM? Someone needs their head removed.

The right thing to do would (IMHO) be to have a quarantine prison to send these type offenders to. Releasing them is just going to spread these diseases. What a criminally STUPID policy.

Chris, prayers sent for your speedy recovery. You are a great guy and deserve better. You have had a tough couple of years. Better times ahead. Hope I can share some of them with you.

hj

14. sealskinner

sealskinner Retired Pimp

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Franks ho
    Hope you heal fast Chris. What chance that it will come back like Kristies? I hope your done with it.

15. aaronj

aaronj wannabe fisherman

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    none
    Here's to a speedy recovery, Chris.

Thanks for posting this for a heads up for everyone else.

Pretty nasty stuff.

Hang in there.

Aaron

16. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    Sorry to hear that.... I wish you a speedy recovery.Didn't you have MRSA before in another wound??

17. SALTYDAWG

SALTYDAWG Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sold it
    Damn Chris, I hope you heal up quick, But with that being said... Is it in a place on your arm where you can get your dick in the hole?:ashamed: LOL Just fucking with ya Bro rub some dirt on it and get well

18. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    shit...get well.

19. shrek likes yt

shrek likes yt Member

Name:
    ray
    Boat:
    nope
    thats some serious shit right there. get well soon chris. thanks for posting for us so we can better protect ourselfs and families. take it easy bro.

20. barracuda Killer

barracuda Killer Shakin haters 1 at a time

Name:
    Derelict #3 the pimpish one
    Boat:
    Party with Ceez, go to jail