7 Day Vagabond Trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by ripped, Oct 11, 2015.

1. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    Our trip turned out to be a good one, yellowtail fishing was excellent with very few fish needing to be returned. We got 2 days at Allijos and My buddy Randy caught a larger YT on the dropper loop (33 lbs) in the dark. For the trip I caught wahoo, a nice dorado on the troll, limits of YT and brought home the biggest white fish I've ever seen. Randy took 2nd place jackpot with a 45lb. Hoo. Tuna fishing was a disappointment with only a few fish being kept by the boat due to size issues. I returned several puppies to grow up and came home with none. I came home with plenty of fish to fill my freezer and memory banks till next year.

I was surprised the wahoo were not wire shy. The rocks have been hit for nearly 3 weeks straight by 3 boats per day. It was slower for the boats that proceeded us with daily counts in the high 30's with only a few trolling and bomb fish and the rest on bait. On our second day at the rocks we spent the afternoon on the hook at the A spot and picked up 60 skinney's with the other 2 boats hovering around us trying to get some of our action. For the trip the wahoo were being caught on all methods with only a couple on Raiders, probably because bombs were working so good. Four of my fish were caught on bait with two of them on 25lb. line and wire. I got 5 of my fish on home made bombs and found that to be the most fun of all.

I had a very close call and almost lost a finger when I got into a tangle with spectra on my wired hook. I reeled in and was unravelling the spectra from my hook when the anglers rig got bit! It stretched my arm out impaling the hook square into my little finger hitting the bone. It stretched me out a little further when I felt it bite threw his line releasing me from having my finger from becoming a trolling plug... All is good and dodged a huge bullet though it still makes my butt pucker when I think about it.

A note to all anglers venturing off shore, ALWAYS HAVE CUTTERS ON YOU TO USE IN AN EMERGENCY!!
    We are all out there for a good and fun time but fortunes can flip on a dime. I hope all of you have as good or even better trips ahead!

Gary

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. NaplesJohn

NaplesJohn Never Forget 343

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
    Sounds like you were a lucky guy! Congrats on the killer wahoo fishing. We were on the Excel, I ended up with 8 skin. Our YT and YFT was slower than normal, though I scratched a 13 or 14 yellows, and 4 barely taggable tuna..

3. Chris Penning

Chris Penning Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    Total Ho
    I still have a couple of nice scars from a close call. Better than carrying a pair of cutters, don't mess with spectra. If the deck hand offers, so be it. Other wise I'm looking at the other angler and telling him I'll replace his lure/hook/etc. That shit happens soooo quick, and if I hadn't broke off I quite possible would have lost my middle finger. Just don't do it.

4. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Spectra can go sideways in a hurry. Boat at Clarion, one of the crew got a finger chewed up.
    He had to be taken to the island, army base "hospital" stitched him up.

Chris Penning likes this.
  5. Pangamaster

Pangamaster Cow Town Here I come!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
    Congrats on your trip! Sounds like you had a blast...with a couple of lessons learned. There was another recent thread that this brings emphasis on. Make sure you have dikes or spectra cutters on you at all times....you never know when you're going to need them and waiting on the crew isn't always an option. Be prepared!

6. ripped

ripped I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Vagabond
    It was my right hand that got stretched out so in my situation I couldn't reach my cutters. Not only should we carry them for ourselves but for our brothers and sisters at the rail. In the future if I get in a similar tangle with live lines out, the possibly offending hook will be secured with a pair of duckbills.