7 day Guadalupe/ridge Gear questions.

BeachedBeaver

Apr 25, 2019
Socal
Name
Kenny
Boat
No boat.
Gonna take 2- #80-#100 setups, 2 #50-80 setups and 3 #30-60 setups. Anything you would change? I have all the terminal tackle (sinkers, hooks, leaders)
Just need info on what setups will be a necessity.

Thank you guys in advance

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
If you got it. Throw in a bass style rod. Maybe its already included in your 30# set ups.

Good luck

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
40# and 50# will likely be your go-to set ups a Guadalupe. I prefer 8-foot rods there, but many do just fine with 7 footers. You may need an 80 or 100# rig, but probably not two--unless you are a diehard dropper looper. I would not advise using 30# at Lupe unless you are making bait. The Ridge may be a different story, though...

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Edit. I said (straight spectra) obviously meant (straight fluorcarbon)

Fyi for anyone interested. If seaguar blue label is liked. Might want to check out Japanese seaguar kureha flourocarbon

Japan sends the US tourist pricing

Kureha comes in 150 meter spools now. Money saver for those who fish straight flourocarbon and it does not hurt the wallet as much to fish a 8 foot + top shot. Underhand lob I like a 12 footish top shot

Fish by diameter. I use blue label diameter standard to know what # I'm fishing with for Kureha

Attachments

Last edited:

RichG

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
You look just fine. It will just depend when you are there and what’s biting. Fluorocarbon a must. Maybe small hooks, #1 or #2 for Lupe, depending on the bait.

Lake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Personally I’d have 2-40’s, 2-50’s, 1-60, all for bait fishing for tuna, and 1-80-100# outfit for dropper looping to fish Guadalupe. I wouldn’t even fish 30 making bait.
Fishing the ridge you’ll probably mostly fish 30-40. The big outfit for trolling for wahoo. 50# for wahoo bombs and jigs.

Yellowtail Dan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2006
Roseville Ca
Name
Dan
Boat
Excel, American Angler
Be ready to fish 40lb fluorocarbon a lot and have to work for your bites. As stated above, small hooks are probably going to be a big part of getting a bite.

The Lupe is a great place to go but it can and will get inside your head especially if there’s a long gap between bites. Be patient and you’ll get yours

Last edited:

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Dans right.....40lb probably your go to.... used the most. Bring enough flouro. Don't know how the lead supply is on that boat ....but if there are few tuna, you'll need torpedos. 7 day is a "tweener" trip. Stay inside (ridge)...or haul butt to Guadalupe. Skipper / charter master has to make that call early....because of the travel times. Outside (Island).....inside (ridge)... outside....is allot of travel. But you do what you have to do. Your list looks good. 7 day trips force you to have a backup plan or two. You can always make the change on the boat....worse case. Good luck brother. Let us know how you do.

Reactions: BeachedBeaver

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
I'll preface this by saying I have only fished Guadalupe once, but this was my experience.

We were not in the big fish when I was there. Most fish were in the 30-50 lb range with my biggest at the Island 53 lbs I think (mid October). Bait was small and I used a #1 hook exclusively. I caught 2 YFT on my 60 lb rig with 40 lb flouro and felt the fish were way over gunned. I caught nearly 20 using my 40 lb rig with 30 lb flouro and had no issues boating fish. I believe I broke off 3 times, the hook pulled 5 times, and I got shark bit 3 times. Maybe it was just right place/right time sort of thing, but I was hooked up more than most and never felt I was too light. That being the case, I wouldn't abandon the idea of 30 lb flouro just yet. Your results may vary, and had the fish been bigger I would have upgraded my line choice.

Just my $.02

BeachedBeaver

Apr 25, 2019
Socal
Name
Kenny
Boat
No boat.
Dans right.....40lb probably your go to.... used the most. Bring enough flouro. Don't know how the lead supply is on that boat ....but if there are few tuna, you'll need torpedos. 7 day is a "tweener" trip. Stay inside (ridge)...or haul butt to Guadalupe. Skipper / charter master has to make that call early....because of the travel times. Outside (Island).....inside (ridge)... outside....is allot of travel. But you do what you have to do. Your list looks good. 7 day trips force you to have a backup plan or two. You can always make the change on the boat....worse case. Good luck brother. Let us know how you do.
Will definitely post the report.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Mean Gene brings up a great point....but you have to know your gear... your strength...ability to pull hard without breaking off. I have always subscribed to listening to the Capt's general suggestions first....but will not find myself in the mix of those not getting bit, because I was afraid to try something new. When 25 guys are not getting touched on 40lb. ...I'll drop to 30lb. Cant.break them off if your not getting bit. Don't be afraid.....I'll rather break off a few.... and get a few.... than sit there all day....clueless. (following crew general suggestions). But that's just me.

Mean Gene

Old Fat Guy
Oct 27, 2013
Ennis, Montana
Name
Gene
Boat
The Searcher
....Cant.break them off if your not getting bit. Don't be afraid.....I'll rather break off a few.... and get a few.... than sit there all day....clueless. (following crew general suggestions)....
Yep. Here's another tip: if you're awake, be at the rail with a bait in the water.

My way of thinking is I paid a good amount of money to have someone take me to where the fish are and tell me how to catch them. If I don't do my part and actually put their advice into practice I've failed. Additionally, if I'm not getting bit, and am unwilling to try something other than what I'm already doing, I've failed. I can't catch fish if I don't have a bait in the water. That being the case, I'm at the rail every second I possibly can be. The ONLY time I'm not is if physical needs dictate I take a break. I didn't book the trip so I could have a nice boat ride, I came to fish, and by golly that's what I'm going to do.

Again, that's just me.

norcaltunaclub

www.octunaclub.com
Mar 18, 2011
Orange County
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris
I wish I had a short answer, but I don't. I just have some observations that I can share with you since you asked the questions.

Oddly as it sounds, your gear selection is a bit unpredictable depending on the time of year you're fishing the Island. Since they reopened the Island in 2016, I've made 8 trips there and fished during the Summer and Fall. No 2 trips are identical, but here's a pattern that I've noticed.

During the late July / early August window we're typical fishing 35lb - 40lb with fish ranging from 50-80lbs. However, every single summer trip (with 2017 being the exception) we have caught fish in the 80-150lb range. That said, most of us would opt for 50lb when those class of fish showed up and would scale down to 40lb when it became a scratch bite. Not the smartest approach, but you need to do whatever it takes to fool the fish. Guys that went in with 60lb or greater would have to be very patient, but when they got bit...they landed their fish.

Now here's the double edged sword. During the Summer you can typically get away with using lighter line (<50lb), but you're also dealing with the gang of tax collectors. So the odds of bringing over a whole fish on the right side of the rail drops significantly. This past August, we easily lost 75+ fish to the collectors and that's just an average of 3 per angler....which is nothing. However, once they took their fill, they backed off.

In the Fall (late Nov / early Dec) it's a totally different ball game. It's windy, cold and the fish are big. Plus a good majority of the tax collectors have gone west to warmer waters. Most of the time you're soaking 50lb & 60lb due to the grade of fish (80-150lbs on average). This past November, we had a lot of casualties on front end of our trip due to the size fish and size of line and hooks that most were using. Collectors were void, but the bad attitude fish were abundant. So some of the fights were short and quick and some were long drawn out, kick you in the nuts kind.

At one point during our last Fall trip, Capt. Roy Rose said this is just like fishing in the Buffer Zone, but much closer to home. It didn't disappoint at all. These Fall fish would push your angling skills, connections and stamina to the test. Imagine fishing in the BZ with a 50-60lb set up and hooking those super charged teenagers, yeah...it was just like that. Super fun for the first 15-20 minutes, then work, pain and agony for the remainder of the fight on 50-60lb gear. Like I said earlier....you had to do what you needed to do in order to get bit (since they would rarely eat 60 and 80). However, the most interesting part about these Fall Island trips, you can really push your 50-60lb gear to it's limit. You would be surprised by how much pressure and drag that you could put on true 50lb line. Many times we bottomed out our 50-60lb rods due to being over matched....we just learned to be patient in order to see who would wear out first.

If you're going to Ridge, just bring some jig sticks for wahoo and YT fishing. The rest of your gear should get the job done.

Good luck and the Island is my 2nd favorite place to fish besides the BZ.

Last edited:

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
GENE's right again. At least in my book. One of my favorite habits.....eat dinner... go right to bed. Wake up at 10-11 PM and spend a few nights fishing the deep drops... mamy times by myself and the overnight deckhand. First I know where we'll be drifting...or anchored... and what kind of structure lies down below. I check the meters in the wheelhouse for thermocline level and bait every half hour. I'll fish 2 - 3 rods....With rail straps on....drag loosened somewhat....clicker on. Brother....The stories I can tell you from those nights. Blue marlin one night 400lbs plus. One night....fished 3 rods... deep squid.....mid mack... Top sardine. Had a screaming double hookup.....Both rods.... One in my hand. ..The other on the strap. After 4-5 minutes of double duty....lol.... The deckhand came out to check on me.....I gave him the rod... we did the "dance" helped each other gaff them.... got both fish....127# and 141#. Before we woke anybody....we had 6 in the box in an hour. ....All over a buck. Now....With very few tuna the day before, I had to go on "gut" instinct. Could of just said....screw it..... but that's not my way. Twice. ...hooked and.released swords on the deep one. Once....at guadalupe.....68lb amberjack. Once at Alijos.....52 lb. Yellowtail. So.....pick your times.... watch the meter (thermocline and bait levels) in the wheelhouse. And NEVER EVER SAY "I TRIED EVERYTHING" !! Good luck brother.

woodfish330

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
Thanks FYRMN. As for enjoying the WHOLE experience....I have always said that the time spent with friends.... laughing, helping, swearing at....fishing next too....having a beer with...catching up on their "world", discussing tackle.... ALL OF THOSE THINGS....MAKE THE TRIP!! At least for me. Good weather.... bad weather.... sun burns and an occasional hang over, are all part of that vacation. Seeing downright hilarious techniques.... laughing at each other ...and each others jokes.... without being HURT.... Like good sports. I LOVE ALL THAT THE MOST.

My dad taught us at a very young age to learn to love the WHOLE EXPERIENCE... All of it. He said....it's like a cake....The whole experience is the cake.....catching fish is the "icing". Both are personally satisfying in my book. So...I've learned to love it.....either way. Thanks dad!

pounder224

Every alley needs a long, tall Sally
Jan 11, 2006
Monrovia, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
A work in progress...
Thanks FYRMN. As for enjoying the WHOLE experience....I have always said that the time spent with friends.... laughing, helping, swearing at....fishing next too....having a beer with...catching up on their "world", discussing tackle.... ALL OF THOSE THINGS....MAKE THE TRIP!! At least for me. Good weather.... bad weather.... sun burns and an occasional hang over, are all part of that vacation. Seeing downright hilarious techniques.... laughing at each other ...and each others jokes.... without being HURT.... Like good sports. I LOVE ALL THAT THE MOST.

My dad taught us at a very young age to learn to love the WHOLE EXPERIENCE... All of it. He said....it's like a cake....The whole experience is the cake.....catching fish is the "icing". Both are personally satisfying in my book. So...I've learned to love it.....either way. Thanks dad!
Your dad nailed it.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
Henry David Thoreau