Offshore 7/9 Tuna Exploring from MDR (2 Busts)

Jul 21, 2014
SoCal
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Sailfish 22'
Left MDR 5:30ish, got a scoop of nice anchovies (only option) and headed out to hunt and troll for Tuna. Exploring and hoping.

Straight to the Boot; trollers in 2 miles before, lots of bait, some mammals and birds on porpoise, no tuna marks or sign. Trolled to the 175, 172, 286, 270. Highest temp was 68 and furthest out.

1st Bust - No Fish, No good sign, all paddies empty.

2nd Bust - My buddy's Brand new spreader bar setup gets CRUSHED by the 175 spot, 60 seconds thinking game on and then the 600-700lb mako does her 20ft airborne backflip wearing the hot pink plastic squids, stinger in her mouth. Comes down on the line and Bust, all gone. Anyone else have problems with spreaders and sharks?

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat Name
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
No, not spreader bar because I'm a trend setter and run madmacs. Hahaha. However, those bastards will get anything behind the boat. Long time ago, but we lost a few irreplaceable and expensive classic Marlin jigs off the east end to makos. I spent many days ripping jigs away from those fuckers so we didnt lose them. I think you got as unlucky as possible.

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 3, 2009
Santee/ca/usa
Name
Marty
Boat Name
Lard ass
:D

T3Wvb9sVbH1-cDcpO8NzsVmOdW3d8JOPJQjIokEMxvE.jpg

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Awesome to see someone looking at our waters. I'd been thinking for a long time that chloro break near the 270 could be money. Seen them last year or so near the 307. I think the ones caught/hooked near MDR have been transitioning through here:

Screenshot_2022-06-26-10-54-22.png

Meaning, that little channel on the bottom left of the screen, which branches off the Redondo canyon proper. El Segundo poo-pipe is uppermost right red marker. FWLIW.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Jul 21, 2014
    SoCal
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    Sailfish 22'
    Agreed TunaChaser! I've taken plenty when targeting them with cable (300lb mono on the spreader), especially those makos less than 300Lbs or so. Tastes similar to swordfish to me!

After losing a new $130 spreader, and paying $6+ for gas, I'm hoping the new spreader bars won't be lost too. I feel weird about running cable through the bar when targeting tuna...?

Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat Name
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    Santa Monica bay is one of the largest juvenile mako nurseries that has been well documented. You will see the makos lazily tailing around the bay.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0