Iceberg

Jeff
Apr 13, 2007
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
My roommies twin-V catamaran
My buddy from Reno, NV was in town this weekend and wanted to pull on something beside trout. I decided to take him rockfishing on the New Seaforth. It's usually a safe bet. Loading up with Chovies and Dines, with no squid in site, I realize we're going after the bonies. Could be good, could be bad. One of those trips putting all your eggs in one basket.

Head out of MB, out then up towards La Jolla. Tons of dolphin and even a whale. No bonies in site and we stop in ~45ft of water outside of South LJ kelp. I caught a bass an one other caught one as well. 60 people on board, not looking good. Capt says it was dead there the day before too. So we pull up and head towards point loma. With about an hour left to fish we find them outside the point loma kelp just south of the OB pier. It was a good bite for a few minutes, then pick up, reset, a few more here and there. I think the total was around 45 for 60 people. I hooked 3, kept 2, and my buddy didn't get bit. I tried calling him over a few times to fight the bonies but on the colt sniper with 30lbs test, wasn't much of a fight anyways. Don't usually keep bonies but kept 2 for my buddies sake. Foil grilled with garlic/rosemary/thyme compound butter. Still was very meh.

Just about to head home after we finally find the fish and someone brings in a mako on a megabait, 30lbs test. Right in the side of the mouth so didn't get bit off. Pretty cool to see and my buddy was stoked to be able to see the shark. He's coming back in Sept for a 1.5 day trip and he couldn't be more excited.

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I'm guessing that bonie was in a bag on deck, they don't do well without ice.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Iceberg

Jeff
Apr 13, 2007
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
My roommies twin-V catamaran
I'm guessing that bonie was in a bag on deck, they don't do well without ice.

Yep, in the bag. Bled shortly after the catch but still... I wonder if it would be a good idea to bring a bag of ice to throw in your kill bag. Not only for these trips but for 1.5 days as well. I know the fish holds are usually cold but you fish can stay on the deck/bag for a while before it goes into the hold. And if you want to sushi it up... Anyone have any hacks for this?

Reactions: sneeb
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Most boats have a no cooler policy but maybe putting ice in your sack is okay? Not sure how long it would last though.

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Go to the 99 cents store the night before your trip, score 2 x 7 lb-ers. Truck the ice down to the landing. Double bag it in plastic bags and keep it in a cheap bucket with lid until you get a fresh one in your gunny. Grab a bag of ice out of the bucket and hang on your gunny peg so it drips on your kill. Mid-trip add the second bag.

Otherwise make sure you toss a coffee-cup of handwell water on your bag every few, so that evaporation cools your fish a little.

-Mike

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Bonito Recipe, works really well for yellows too.

Make white sushi rice in advance to accompany.

Soy sauce
    Brown sugar
    Onion Powder
    1 Bonito, hopefully 2-3 lb or larger

Get a bowl, add 3 seasons to a balanced taste.
    Start your rice cooker.

Loin your bonito. Add carcass to garden, or freezer for lob-bait.

add loins to the bowl and marinate for 30 mins.
    Fry in pan over medium heat just until flakes in the middle.

Serve with sauce from pan over rice.

-Mike

Reactions: Iceberg
    Upvote 0