BowBoy

"SSSSHHHH its a secret"
Mar 28, 2006
Far away place
Name
Laslo
Boat
Tin can
There are alternative catching and more sustainable methods than seining any pelagic tuna species, it is just the easiest and most profitable for the few stakeholders in that business.

Has nothing to do with seining chovies or sardines which are more homegrown and managed in any entirely different way, but seining any species when they are in full spawn is a joke on everyone who comes in contact with that resource. You might have to learn how to use a cast net someday, big deal.

Feel free to enjoy 6th grade now.
Once eyes go to a certain topic, all related topics at one point will come under scrutiny, then sabikis will be $20 a pack......

I just went back down to 2nd grade

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Hope they wrap it all so you guys really need to go looking and actually learn to fish! You all are spoiled with the excellent fishing weve had in the last couple of years! If you actually knew what your talking about then you would relize these fish in big schools dont bite.. the smaller schools like 1-5 ton sometimes will stick. But everyone bitches that the seiners kill everything. But then those guys are the first ones to roll up to a seiner and ask for a bucket of dead or a free scoop of squid. I live on both ends. AVID sportboat guy, lived all my life on the water and have been supported by a great father who has been a comercial fisherman all his life. You guys have NO IDEA!!
Five posts and your brain is on parade...Friggen pitiful ...Ap

BowBoy

"SSSSHHHH its a secret"
Mar 28, 2006
Far away place
Name
Laslo
Boat
Tin can
There are alternative catching and more sustainable methods than seining any pelagic tuna species, it is just the easiest and most profitable for the few stakeholders in that business.

Has nothing to do with seining chovies or sardines which are more homegrown and managed in any entirely different way, but seining any species when they are in full spawn is a joke on everyone who comes in contact with that resource. You might have to learn how to use a cast net someday, big deal.

Feel free to enjoy 6th grade now.

So how's this any different? Home grown or not, a duck is a duck....Theres already a min quota on sardines, how is that any different than the min quota on tuna being imposed? Same principle. It can be banned all together, taken away at any moment, let the shit show begin.

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/stories/2016/12_04122016_sardine_numbers_remain_low.html

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
So how's this any different? Home grown or not, a duck is a duck....Theres already a min quota on sardines, how is that any different than the min quota on tuna being imposed? Same principle. It can be banned all together, taken away at any moment, let the shit show begin.

http://www.westcoast.fisheries.noaa.gov/stories/2016/12_04122016_sardine_numbers_remain_low.html
It is absolutely different because you can commercially troll catch or pole/hook tuna. There exist a ready made alternative. So I am not saying to eliminate the entire SoCal tuna fleet, just share the resource in the most sustainable way by changing the way they fish in SoCal waters. The chovy/sardines can't be caught in another manner that I am aware of so regulation is the only viable choice.

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
Jun 11, 2015
Dana Point
Name
L J
Boat
arima - the SLIDER
Even though this shit continues to be the destruction of tuna. Makes me sick to my stomach. Better have kids now or already have kids and fish with them. Because eventually you'll be posting pictures of mackerel and Bonita as a trophy catch.
Now that's some sadly, funny shit right there!

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Been on this rock we call home just shy of 50yrs.

In that time frame, the three largest schools of bluefin tuna I have ever seen were wrapped in front of me in one day. This happened about 6 weeks ago 10 miles west of the 182.

I'm talking football field sized schools and 200+lb BFT. It was truly disheartening to witness up close.

That same day I saw no more than 6 bluefin tuna caught by private Boats off those same three schools.

Between that and what I've witnessed South of the Border in the last couple years has truly made me cynical regarding Seiners.
Even after they wrapped a school the size of a football field, They still will not be happy., And that's just one boat. It's disgraceful the Impact they have on our fishing. They claim the sport boats are the problem. Go on you tube and see what destruction one Super Seiner can do, in a single wrap.

Reactions: DHSDave

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Seiners suck when fishing inside 50 miles of land period! Join the CCA and voice your opinion!
I don't understand the logic of keeping seiners XX miles offshore. Would you share a little more on why you think that will help. If they are hurting the resource then they need to be restricted from doing so, We all know those tuna, especially BFT. travel big distances so moving seiners further offshore sounds kinda sounds like a NIMBY thing,

I am not against doing it but certainly it would be a tough thing to accomplish. IMO CCA would really be the only real way for it to happen.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot

For BFT the limit in the U.S. for the next 2 seasons is 600 mt with no more than 425 mt in a single year. There is no limit in the U.S. for YFT because our take, even in the best years, is SO small that to the ITTAC (which the U.S. is a member) is insignificant.