7/8 Cat - BEAUTIFUL DAY

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by uglyducky, Jul 9, 2018.

1. uglyducky

uglyducky Member

Name:
    Jesse Collin
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 21'
    Headed out from MDR at 5:30am - grabbed a scoop of suicidal dines at bait dock (mostly dead by 8:30, more scales than fish). Saw what I think was a baby white shark on the way out to island. Tried to get some footage of it as it was making passes under the boat but only got some crappy video which I can’t figure out how to upload from my phone here so a pic will suffice.

Upon arrival, we started on west end looking to work our way around the back side of island. Flylined sardines and were casting surface irons and waxwings. Not a single taker. Water ranged from green to opaque blue to pretty clear blue around different parts of the island.

At about 7:30am we realized we had left our food in the car back at the marina so we headed to Avalon and changed the plan up for the day. Got some grub in the cooler and started again at east end. We hooked up with carnage for a scoop of squid as our dines were all but useless except for chum at this point (glad the prices went up 50% for them too). We got into a few bass mostly drifting with weighted squid. Still casting irons and waxwings with no luck.

Once around backside we trolled Rapalas for a bit and then fished the edges of some of the various kelp patches. I hooked into what must have been a very nice yellow as it was on my conventional setup with 65lb braid and drag set pretty stiff. Nevertheless, it was peelin line off. Unfortunately, the last trip out I didn’t have a proper stretch of mono for a leader on that pole and had put some 25lb crappy mono on. Needless to say, that was the end of that. Bummer too, woulda like to have seen that guy.

From there we headed a little further out looking for structure and found a few fish. Caught a lingcod and sculpin on irons off the bottom. Started back to MDR from west end around 6pm and made it in 50 min - best time yet

Trying again this Thursday/fri and will report back if poseiden sees fit to ever let me get a damn YT in the boat again. Best of luck to you all! Was a BEAUTIFUL day and the scene at the island was unbelievable amazing.

BEA7E209-C7E5-45D6-BDB0-F2545CC4C937.jpeg 5397D8E1-5CE1-4824-879D-CDC5A98564ED.jpeg CBC72CFD-3FBD-44F2-885F-C375CFE78A37.jpeg 2B6861C5-FFB0-459B-8350-BD8D13BEDD25.jpeg DC2F611D-EDF2-42A1-8862-D587D832D282.jpeg 21B7F633-C9D1-4770-B2DC-B1CD820DB7FF.png 44C541D5-B952-4EDE-A62C-EFA7854360CC.jpeg C780ED58-1552-4322-B7AE-BED15E49E283.jpeg

Zika, mark johnsen, jscott and 4 others like this.
  2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    I hate crappy mono

3. tamddo714

tamddo714 Member

Name:
    Butt Hunter
    Boat:
    Proline 23 Sport
    thank you for the report. sucks about the bait situation thats always a bummer. what kind of bait tank are you running on your whaler?

4. uglyducky

uglyducky Member

Name:
    Jesse Collin
    Boat:
    Dunno to be honest. I guess whatever comes stock on an ‘03 outrage? Works great, that’s for sure. When I make my own bait or get decent squid from PC, they last all day and then some.

5. brian fulton

brian fulton Member

Name:
    brianfulton
    Boat:
    Happy Hour.
    Nice sculpin and the other fish you caught is a cabizon

6. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Warm weather combined with lack of curing time due to high demand is a death sentence to sardines. Always fun to get to the island and back in good weather!

uglyducky likes this.
  7. uglyducky

uglyducky Member

Name:
    Jesse Collin
    Boat:
    Always happy to learn as I’m new to fishing the pacific. You sure about that?

C8AC59D2-8BED-4AD3-A876-CECFE75DBBD9.jpeg AC084E81-0594-45D1-894D-39FBD404962E.jpeg

8. DMAN233

DMAN233 Newbie

Name:
    damien
    That is a definitely a lingcod. It has a long continuous dorsal fin.

Zika likes this.
  9. Killerskiff

Killerskiff The end is near

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    Obliviousone
    MDR bait has always sucked! More so now than ever since Larry Derr from Insane bait left MDR some 5-6 years ago. Insane is now in King Harbor but it's always a crap shoot, especially on weekdays, too bad.

10. AndyJ

AndyJ Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Andy Jakubas
    Boat:
    18.5 Cobalt
    Pig sculpin. Too bad about the yellowtail. Get him on the next trip.

uglyducky likes this.