Offshore 7/8 Bluefin

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat Name
    Island Spirit
    I booked a trip back in December on the Ranger 85 taking a gamble and it was definitely worth it!! We had an awesome time on this 1.5 day. Captain said we were going to make a long run, so I rigged up and hit the bunks. Next morning we immediately found a school, of course this school did not want to bite. Second school was a different story. Captain said there were fish around the boat and I took out the 40 lb flyline outfit and tossed it out. 20 seconds pass by and my line starts running. Put it in gear and my rod goes bendo! This was my first bluefin I have ever hooked and it was an awesome fight. It took me probably 30 minutes and went around the boat 3 times and got the fish in. This one weighed the scales at 52 lbs. my dad also got one weighing 57 lbs Next stop captain says the fish were deeper so I go to the sinker rig. This was the new version with a hook then another piece of line going to the weight, like a dropshot. Got bit on the retrieve, unfortunately I pulled the hook. My last hookup was on a colt sniper I tossed out at a foamer and that only lasted 10 seconds. We had some awesome sights as well: whales, sharks, Mola, and dolphins. The weather was probably 60-70 degrees and it wasn’t too bad of wind until the night. Fish were foaming everywhere and it was a fun sight to see. Overall, the biggest to hit the deck was around 164 lbs. 3 fish were hooked at night but only 2 landed on the knife jigs. The swells started rocking our boat pretty hard and my 400 gram was scoping out. Also, with the sinker rig I was fishing 16 oz and still was scoping out. Overall, the crew, captain, and people on the boat were amazing!!

91EB8E83-21CD-4426-8686-49DE6C32B85F.jpeg

6517123E-0DA1-4ADB-B364-E460278A889A.jpeg

Last edited:

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat Name
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I booked a trip back in December on the ranger 85 taking a gamble and it was definitely worth it!! We had an awesome time on this 1.5 day. Captain said we were going to make a long run, so I rigged up and hit the bunks. Next morning we immediately found a school, of course this school did not want to bite. Second school was a different story. Captain said there were fish around the boat and I took out the 40 lb flyline outfit and tossed it out. 20 seconds pass by and my line starts running. Put it in gear and my rod goes bendo! This was my first bluefin I have ever hooked and it was an awesome fight. It took me probably 30 minutes and went around the boat 3 times and got the fish in. This one weighed the scales at 52 lbs. my dad also got one weighing 57 lbs Next stop captain says the fish were deeper so I go to the sinker rig. This was the new version with a hook then another piece of line going to the weight, like a dropshot. Got bit on the retrieve, unfortunately I pulled the hook. My last hookup was on a colt sniper I tossed out at a foamer and that only lasted 10 seconds. We had some awesome sights as well: whales, sharks, Mola, and dolphins. The weather was probably 60-70 degrees and it wasn’t too bad of wind until the night. Fish were foaming everywhere and it was a fun sight to see. Overall, the biggest to hit the deck was around 164 lbs. 3 fish were hooked at night but only 2 landed on the knife jigs. The swells started rocking our boat pretty hard and my 400 gram was scoping out. Also, with the sinker rig I was fishing 16 oz and still was scoping out. Overall, the crew, captain, and people on the boat were amazing!!

View attachment 1402159

View attachment 1402160
    Good Captain, boat and crew--which Captain, which boat?

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0