El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Left HH around 530am after picking up some squid from nachos, and made 10-15 Mack’s (the macks did fine in the tank with the squid, In case anyone was interested.) cleared the harbor, saw a thresher within 1,000 yds of the breakwall, stopped to look, but kept on trucking south.

Plan was to head straight to the 14 mile, and hopefully get lucky and get an early yellow fin, especially with this push of warm water.
I trolled, cedars, jet heads, rapalas....all for nothing. Really didn’t meter anything significant. Water was warm, 71 to almost 73 in some spots. No bird action...didn’t see much bait either.

Avalon Bank (see above, but a bit cooler water)

Catalina, started just north of the isthmus, worked the kelp line in a few spots and probably caught 50 calicos, kept 2 of them.
These calicos were in full frenzy mode...crashing on baits, head and shoulders out of the water, pretty cool to see.

Probably saw 100 yellowtail today...all you had to do was look down into the water, and in due time an anchovy ball would go by....and right behind the anchovy was a cavalry of 10-15lb yellowtail (some coulda been bigger and smaller.)

These yellows wanted nothing to do with squid, or mackerel. They were having none of it. Water at the island a bit green (a different color of green...not sure what to call it.)

All in all...visited a lot of spots, but couldn’t get the right kind to go.

Crossing wasn’t too bad, but it did begin to get a bit sloopy, I had a few poundings on the way back to HH.

Surprisingly...not too much boat traffic for a warm Sunday.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Thanks for the report! Your dues are paid in full :D

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Thanks for the report. Now I don’t feel that I missed out by not going today.

Upvote 0

GarytheCPA

Jun 13, 2011
    Costa Mesa/California/USA
    Name
    Gary Craig
    Boat
    36 BHM
    Over here now. There is tiny micro bait, being eaten by micro chovie, being eaten by perfect green and Spanish Macs. Right in front of lions head is the 3 B's and yt.

Good luck. So much bait it's tough out here.

Reactions: El Chiva
    Upvote 0

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
    Dec 5, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Jesse Collin
    Boat
    It's complicated
    nice man, thx for report. feelin better about my YT swing and miss yesterday, lol

Upvote 0

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
    Jun 13, 2015
    www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
    Name
    Matt Schubert
    Boat
    Old Spool - Parker 2520
    Force feed them the spear and you get to cool off while doing it.

Thx for the report on our local offshore banks. Been thinking of doing a look out there myself here soon. Water is almost piss warm and blue so shouldn't be long now!

Upvote 0