Offshore 7/7/2021 267, empty paddies, then grocery shopping

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    Launched from Dana Point on a wednesday 0730 - by the time we got back the lot was full. When we launched, the lot was already 3/4 full. Seas were calm, water temp was 70.7 degrees. Water en route to 267 was blue and clear.

Went to 267, half way there we saw a few birds, stopped and metered multiple schools of large signals at about 40 feet. Dropped flat falls, irons, and colts at them, zip. Trolled Rapalas for nothing. Moved to 267, found 3 paddies with a lot of bait fish but nothing else.

Had to get something on the boat so moved to San Onofre for rockfishing. Hooked up some decent size rockfish at about 260 feet. I used 4 inch red hammers on a gamakatsu circle hook topped off with strip of squid with 16 oz to get it down due to current. Only had to descend one undersized sculpin and rockfish.

I installed a minnkota with spot lock last season, that thing has made my time on water much much more enjoyable. Stay safe on the water, summer madness at the harbor seems to be back.

IMG_5851.jpg

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    How you got a spot a 730 is beyond me. At 5am it was a zoo.

When I got back around noon I had to disconnect my trailer to get out of my spot.

To the clown with the Whaler with "Hot Reels" on the side, you park like an Ahole. Thanks for blocking me in. Next time leave a can opener so I can get my truck and trailer out.

Upvote 0

JK155

• Nov 8, 2019
    California
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Wellcraft 18 Fisherman
    How you got a spot a 730 is beyond me. At 5am it was a zoo.

When I got back around noon I had to disconnect my trailer to get out of my spot.

To the clown with the Whaler with "Hot Reels" on the side, you park like an Ahole. Thanks for blocking me in. Next time leave a can opener so I can get my truck and trailer out.
    When I got there, there were only 2 boats launching. When I was up at 5AM looking at the embarcadero webcam, I was trying to get my kid to wake up to go because of all the craziness. I was entirely expecting to drive in to a full lot and just go home.

I met an old timer up in Huntington Harbor and agree with him completely, the trailer slots were designed and painted for 1970 era trucks and boats - smaller and narrower. My trailer has been hit there multiple times - I find my brake lights dangling when I get back. In my defense, I don't think I parked it like a douche, just tight spaces.

Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    When I got there, there were only 2 boats launching. When I was up at 5AM looking at the embarcadero webcam, I was trying to get my kid to wake up to go because of all the craziness. I was entirely expecting to drive in to a full lot and just go home.

I met an old timer up in Huntington Harbor and agree with him completely, the trailer slots were designed and painted for 1970 era trucks and boats - smaller and narrower. My trailer has been hit there multiple times - I find my brake lights dangling when I get back. In my defense, I don't think I parked it like a douche, just tight spaces.
    There are many threads about the parking. It was much bigger and the spots much larger a year or two ago. The new development company cut our parking, access and whatnot due to "progress" and Newport-icafation of the harbor. Basically, whale watching, restaurants and Hansen charter parking get priority over us.

The guy that parked like an Ahole parked three deep on a red curb right behind my truck. There was no way to back out of my spot without disconnecting or relocating his passenger side door.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
    Apr 3, 2019
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Ace
    Boat
    Always changing
    The guy that parked like an Ahole parked three deep on a red curb right behind my truck. There was no way to back out of my spot without disconnecting or relocating his passenger side door.
    Happened to me last season in Newport. Some girl boxed me in at Valet for the restaurant and I didn't see the cute little Audi parked behind my truck. Long story short I relocated her bumper and $2k later that was an expensive boat ride

Reactions: flytie
    Upvote 0