Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
Fished down to the tuna pens east of the Hidden for several patties with yellows along the way. The tuna fishing sounded pretty slow for everyone except those fishing down in the Lower 500 range. Late in the day making our way back up the line we found birds working in the south end of the trench just west of the Coronados (16/18). We trolled after the birds for at least a mile and they just wouldn't let us catch up with them. I was saying it seems like boat shy bluefin under them when we finally got our jigs into the zone and a troller went off. A nice 40 lb class BFT! Got 4 more in the area, all on a blue mack x-rap 15.

Bluefin 700p.jpg

IMG_0876.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
40 pounders on the troll .................... ok ................ we got a swordfish on the rock pile..........top that !

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Ok . Now were talking ! You freakin stud ! I will post pics of my swordfish ...........uhh ...........nevermind .

Upvote 0

Wild West

Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
My bad, not the Coronado Canyon. We were fishing the southern part of that trench to the west of the Coronados along the wall of that dropoff. Numbers were 16/18. Big area of activity there that we were running and gunning on.

Upvote 0

NATIVE

Deeper and Faster
Apr 2, 2008
Earth
Name
'Smitty'
Boat
BaseCamp Parker 2520
Fished down to the tuna pens east of the Hidden for several patties with yellows along the way. The tuna fishing sounded pretty slow for everyone except those fishing down in the Lower 500 range. Late in the day making our way back up the line we found birds working in the south end of the trench just west of the Coronados (16/18). We trolled after the birds for at least a mile and they just wouldn't let us catch up with them. I was saying it seems like boat shy bluefin under them when we finally got our jigs into the zone and a troller went off. A nice 40 lb class BFT! Got 4 more in the area, all on a blue mack x-rap 15.

View attachment 525761

View attachment 525762

Shazam! Way to get er done!

Upvote 0

Larmo

Strip it. Mend it. Hit it!
Jul 11, 2004
San Diego
www.lawrenceshea.com
Name
Larry
Boat
Your Cabo
Nice fish. We were chasing terns in that same zone today. No fish for us. We were mainly dragging YF jigs but we had one PB mini marauder out that may have worked on these BF.

Upvote 0

Wild West

Wild West
Aug 7, 2003
Ventura
Visit site
Name
Bob
Boat
25 Skipjack SC
Larry - That one blue mac x-rap got all 5. Also ran a sardine x-rap 15 that looks almost the same as the mac except it has spots instead of stripes and it didn't get touched. Cedar, feathers, blue/silver halco didn't produce.

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Thanks for the numbers . Great job ! Its not easy coming in with a haul like that when its as scratchy as lately . Props on the skills !

Upvote 0