Boiler Maker

Bruiser Bluefin Expert
Apr 2, 2003
Mira Mesa
Name
Jerry
Boat
Boiler Maker
Been a while since I posted a report. Left Mission Bay at 5:00 AM. Went out to the 182 in very snotty conditions. 10 to 15 MPH wind from the NW with white caps everywhere. Happy to be in the pilot house!! Got out to the 182 with about 6 other boats in 70.3 degree blue water. It was hard to spot but we did see about 20 schools of boiling and jumping BFT. Threw everything at them for nothing. Heard a report of a guy landing a 80 pounder at the 178 so we decided to troll back that way. About 2:00 at 40 over 36 we saw a massive bird and fish school. There were about 200 birds and a football size school of foaming and jumping BFT. Some of them were trucks!! Threw everything we had at them for nothing for about 20 minutes. Then finally we get hooked up on the Katy Perry flat fall jig and of course its on the spinner. Took all three of us to fight this fish for an hour plus. Taped out at 49X36X36/800 = 79.4 pounds. Rough and tough day on the water but nice to bring this one home. Pictures are Captain Joe getting his first fish of the season. Very happy for him. Time to go clean a fish!!

Jerry fishing on the Boiler Maker

IMG_3780.jpg

IMG_3773.jpg

queenfish

Nov 21, 2003
OB
Name
mark
Boat
19 Boston Whaler Nantucket
I was out at the 181 in y 19 Whaler.
Heard you put this info out on the radio but had paid so dearly for those miles decided to stay out there and come home through the 178.

We only hooked (snagged) one and it came off..

Thanks for the report and the authentic radio call out.
Queenfish......out

SuperPutt
SuperPutt
You the one with the grey cabin/pilot house on the Montauk?
Upvote 0

centralcal

Jul 27, 2008
San Luis Obispo/CA/USA
Name
Frank
Boat
18ft, invader, reefrunner
Nice job!!! I was the guy who called out the radio fish at the 178. Stoked you came to check it out. I've been out there quite a bit this season and the foamer I saw that day was by far the biggest. It stayed up for a long time too. So fun to watch. I caught my fish on mint Tady and it took about an hour.

Last edited:
Boiler Maker
Boiler Maker
Thanks for calling out that report. We were getting our ass kicked out there at the 182 so figured what the hell. Don't usually chase radio fish but we had to go that way anyway.
Upvote 0

Zenner

Apr 20, 2012
Zenner
Name
Paul
Boat
Yours
I was out at the 181 in y 19 Whaler.
Heard you put this info out on the radio but had paid so dearly for those miles decided to stay out there and come home through the 178.

We only hooked (snagged) one and it came off..

Thanks for the report and the authentic radio call out.
Queenfish......out
Mark - Does your wife fish?

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Wow! Ever get that funny feeling this rod is gonna get bit? .............................!

Then regret it! LOL Great job on the grind!

Reactions: Jeff Hannah
    Upvote 0