naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
You are told not to follow the report, but I couldn't resist. Went out on 7/3/2020 to mussel farm.
Started at Davie's at 5:00 and get to the Nacho and after in line for about 15 min, they tell us they are out of bait. No live bait? targeting yellowtail? Never done that, so I was pretty bummed, but what can we do. We said we'll catch some mackerels, and searched inside the harbor for about 10 min but couldn't mark any, so decided we'll just throw jigs.
On the way out, we stopped at Izors, hoping that mackerel would be around, and we were able to get 1, haha, yeap just one and we headed to mussel farm.
We got there around 6:00 and there were already 15 boats out there. So we spot locked at one spot and I set up that one mackerel out, and start throwing jigs. I tried, salas 6x jr, tady 45, coltsniper 60g and 35g. After about an hour and half or so of jig throwing and long soaking that one mackerel, we gave up on that yellow tail. and since there were small fish on the bottom, thought may be I can use one of those and live bait, and started fishing bottom with frozen squid. We started getting whitefish after whitefish for next 30 min. One of the whitefish went 20 inches. Then I caught one red rockfish and decided to keep it. Since I have rockfish on the board, I change to 2 hooks and 1 rod setting. Don't know exactly on regulation but just wanted to be safe. We ended up catching 5 rockfish, 3 being vermilion. 1 sclupin. Never knew mussel farm had so many rock fish.
On the way in, we stopped at Izors to pull on some Calicos. We pulled on about 8 calicos in about 30 min of fishing at Izors. Unlike last week, we were not able to catch any barracudas.

We did not catch any yellowtails, but fun fishing none the less and brought home rockfish as bonus. I've fished mussel farm before, but never realized there are so many variety of fish in there.

Fish Caught : 3 vermilion & 2 other baby rockfish
1000 whitefish
1 mackerel
3 sandbass
10 calicos

Bait: Frozen squid

Water temp; 66 at Izors
65.5 at mussel farm

Counted to 25 boats at Mussel Farm and stopped counting, haven't seen a single bendo in eyesight range. I think we were the only ones desperate enough to pull on anything and fishing the bottom at mussel farm LOL.

Oh, wind kicked in super early around 10 ish, we decided to head in by 10:30. And even then we got soaked coming in from izor's to davies.

Short video of the day's outing. Enjoy.

20200703_131044.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
You are told not to follow the report, but I couldn't resist. Went out on 7/3/2020 to mussel farm.
Started at Davie's at 5:00 and get to the Nacho and after in line for about 15 min, they tell us they are out of bait. No live bait? targeting yellowtail? Never done that, so I was pretty bummed, but what can we do. We said we'll catch some mackerels, and searched inside the harbor for about 10 min but couldn't mark any, so decided we'll just throw jigs.
On the way out, we stopped at Izors, hoping that mackerel would be around, and we were able to get 1, haha, yeap just one and we headed to mussel farm.
We got there around 6:00 and there were already 15 boats out there. So we spot locked at one spot and I set up that one mackerel out, and start throwing jigs. I tried, salas 6x jr, tady 45, coltsniper 60g and 35g. After about an hour and half or so of jig throwing and long soaking that one mackerel, we gave up on that yellow tail. and since there were small fish on the bottom, thought may be I can use one of those and live bait, and started fishing bottom with frozen squid. We started getting whitefish after whitefish for next 30 min. One of the whitefish went 20 inches. Then I caught one red rockfish and decided to keep it. Since I have rockfish on the board, I change to 2 hooks and 1 rod setting. Don't know exactly on regulation but just wanted to be safe. We ended up catching 5 rockfish, 3 being vermilion. 1 sclupin. Never knew mussel farm had so many rock fish.
On the way in, we stopped at Izors to pull on some Calicos. We pulled on about 8 calicos in about 30 min of fishing at Izors. Unlike last week, we were not able to catch any barracudas.

We did not catch any yellowtails, but fun fishing none the less and brought home rockfish as bonus. I've fished mussel farm before, but never realized there are so many variety of fish in there.

Fish Caught : 3 vermilion & 2 other baby rockfish
1000 whitefish
1 mackerel
3 sandbass
10 calicos

Bait: Frozen squid

Water temp; 66 at Izors
65.5 at mussel farm

Counted to 25 boats at Mussel Farm and stopped counting, haven't seen a single bendo in eyesight range. I think we were the only ones desperate enough to pull on anything and fishing the bottom at mussel farm LOL.

Oh, wind kicked in super early around 10 ish, we decided to head in by 10:30. And even then we got soaked coming in from izor's to davies.

Short video of the day's outing. Enjoy.

View attachment 1166534

FYI, I was at Nacho Thursday night/Friday morning 12:05 am, screamed at me to get the f**k off his barge and get out of there, I cruised over to LA bait and got two very nice scoop of deans.

Reactions: naldodook
Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
FYI, I was at Nacho Thursday night/Friday morning 12:05 am, screamed at me to get the f**k off his barge and get out of there, I cruised over to LA bait and got two very nice scoop of deans.

Past 6 years of PB owning, I've never been to LA bait(San Pedro bait), and I usually launch from Davies and it was just convenient to go to Nacho. But last Friday, I wanted to drive over to other bait barge, but didn't know where it was, haha. I don't think having live bait would've made any changes that day, but where is that LA bait/San Pedro bait located at?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
you are not supposed to get on the barge...

There is nothing there saying "do not get on the barge", I am a voracious reader, I read everything from dime novels to Dostoevsky/Tolstoy, one thing I am not, is a mind reader,
their website states they are open 24/7.
Anyhow the people at LA bait was polite and helpful, I have been dealing with Nacho for years now, his BS is getting old.

Upvote 0

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
Past 6 years of PB owning, I've never been to LA bait(San Pedro bait), and I usually launch from Davies and it was just convenient to go to Nacho. But last Friday, I wanted to drive over to other bait barge, but didn't know where it was, haha. I don't think having live bait made changes that day, but where is that LA bait/San Pedro bait located at?
I don't have the coordinates, however I would say they are a bit S/W of that building that says "port of Los Angeles"
If anyone have the lat/long could you be so kind as to post.
Thanks.

• Love
Reactions: naldodook
Upvote 0