longboard85

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
17 ft invader cc (Somethings Fishy)
Fished this morning left dana landing at 4 and picked up a half scoop of dead dean's. On the way to the 9 we found a paddy in the dark that had some quality yellows on it only 4 or so miles off the beach. My first bait in the water got smoked by a nice yellow. I fought the the fish for 10 or so minutes and finally got him out of the kelp and stuck a gaff in it. It was a solid 20+lb fish. After that fished it for a while longer but no takers.
Ran out to the 9 and fished endless paddys all the way to the 182. I would say that 3 out of every 4 had a few yellows on them but none wanted anything to do with our half dead deans.

Headed back around 10 and on the way back I got the chance to bait a swordfish. Threw out the only mack that I had and the fish charged the bait only to turn away right before he took it. To say my heart was pumping is an understatement. After that we tried for 20 more minutes but he just cruised along the surface then finally sank out. All in all a fun morning and got some meat for the grill.
20170703_110254.jpg
20170703_125302.jpg

20170703_110254.jpg

FISHINPOC

Jul 5, 2007
Austin
Name
Rob
Boat
Grady White Gulfstream
Fished this morning left dana landing at 4 and picked up a half scoop of dead dean's. On the way to the 9 we found a paddy in the dark that had some quality yellows on it only 4 or so miles off the beach. My first bait in the water got smoked by a nice yellow. I fought the the fish for 10 or so minutes and finally got him out of the kelp and stuck a gaff in it. It was a solid 20+lb fish. After that fished it for a while longer but no takers.
Ran out to the 9 and fished endless paddys all the way to the 182. I would say that 3 out of every 4 had a few yellows on them but none wanted anything to do with our half dead deans.

Headed back around 10 and on the way back I got the chance to bait a swordfish. Threw out the only mack that I had and the fish charged the bait only to turn away right before he took it. To say my heart was pumping is an understatement. After that we tried for 20 more minutes but he just cruised along the surface then finally sank out. All in all a fun morning and got some meat for the grill.View attachment 847931 View attachment 847936
View attachment 847931
thanks for the report. nice YT and fun to get a shot at that broadbill! Looks like nice calm conditions too.

Reactions: longboard85

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
thanks for the report. nice YT and fun to get a shot at that broadbill! Looks like nice calm conditions too.
Yes conditions were very good all morning. Wind was picking up around 11 but not too bad.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
Nice YT. That sword looks huge. What set were you using when you were trying to bait it.......I hope it was something big, because he would have spooled any standard offshore gear. LOL

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
Nice YT. That sword looks huge. What set were you using when you were trying to bait it.......I hope it was something big, because he would have spooled any standard offshore gear. LOL
Yea he was really big Actually! I would have been underfunded for sure with my hx but I had to try..

Reactions: Olddog8 and wils

Willdoggy

Willing Member
Jun 25, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
IG = WetWillyBiz
Boat
Purr-Sea-Stance: Boston Whaler Montauk 170
Nice day! Fun report. I woulda gone for it too, been spooled and had the memory to make it all worth while. That's a big swordie! Pacific lake looks calm.

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Nice Yellow.

Bitchen Swordie pic!!

Next Swordie, Try clipping the tail of the Mac, or what I prefer is to brain the bait (stick the hook through the upper part of the head). Swordies on the surface can't see for shit, and when they are up on the surface, they usually aren't actively feeding. When a bait is put in front of them, most hook-ups are more from a pissed off agitated fish rather than a fish looking for a meal. The vast majority of daytime surface SoCal Swordies hooked are a foul hooked fish.

The unknown fisherman:p:

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
Nice Yellow.

Bitchen Swordie pic!!

Next Swordie, Try clipping the tail of the Mac, or what I prefer is to brain the bait (stick the hook through the upper part of the head). Swordies on the surface can't see for shit, and when they are up on the surface, they usually aren't actively feeding. When a bait is put in front of them, most hook-ups are more from a pissed off agitated fish rather than a fish looking for a meal. The vast majority of daytime surface SoCal Swordies hooked are a foul hooked fish.

The unknown fisherman:p:
Thanks for the info we did clip the tail but it was still swimming a little fast. I will try hooking it through the head if i ever get the chance again.

longboard85

Dec 14, 2011
La mesa ca
Name
cody
Boat
What rig did you throw the mac with? Could have been in for a very long battle or a short one depending. A 200# sword can spool a 4/0 with 50# in about 60 seconds - ask me how I know .
Avet hx raptor with a phenix 809. Had 80lb braid with 60 floro. Would have been under gunned for sure but had to try.

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Way to go Buddy! My son and I happened upon a Sword a few weeks back. It wasn't real big. Threw a Mac at it as well with a Talica 16II and 80/80. My HX was setup for the Flatfall. So I threw my heavy bait rig at it. I'm a stupd bastid and don't know any better. With that said I've seen a lot of stupid lucky bastids catch some nice fish. Thanks for the report!:appl:

7seasailor

Oct 5, 2009
San Diego, CA
Name
Joe
Boat
kayak
I love all the people that get spooled on private boats. You guys do realize the boat has a motor and it is not illegal to chase the fish right?
This was 25 years ago: Pre-digital camera, pre-braid, pre-disc drag, etc. so we "tried to chase it" but when it went straight down that was all she wrote. Fun while it lasted though.

Swordie.jpg

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
This was 25 years ago: Pre-digital camera, pre-braid, pre-disc drag, etc. so we "tried to chase it" but when it went straight down that was all she wrote. Fun while it lasted though.

View attachment 848070
I have only been spooled once in 35 years of private boat fishing. Same situation. 60 to 80 lb class bigeye on 15# with a newell 229. Went straight down. Most reports of people getting spooled the fish did not go down though.